ccw off limit areas?

PDA

UltimaSE
October 28, 2004, 07:36 PM
I was wondering if someone in the pennsylvania area that has a ccw might be able to clarify this, or anyone that might have an idea. I already sent off an email to the attorney general but have not recieved a response.

From reading through packing.org it seems that courthouses and schools are off limits to carry. I was wondering if someone could translate this portion for me.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

ok so carry in elementary schools is a no, but if there a list of secondary publicly funded ecucational instituions? Or secondary private schools licensed by the department of education? And what's a parochial school?

Thank you in advance,
UltimaSE

If you enjoyed reading about "ccw off limit areas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
October 28, 2004, 07:41 PM
UltimaSE ~

There should be a definition for each of those terms somewhere in the statutes themselves.

In general usage, a parochial school is a Christian (usually Catholic rather than protestant) private school. I'd be willing to bet, however, that "parochial" is defined under that statute simply as a private school, without implication of religious character.

In general usage, elementary schools teach grades K-6; secondary schools teach grades 7-12. Again, check the statutes to see if there's a specific meaning not in general usage.

pax

UltimaSE
October 28, 2004, 08:08 PM
I thought they would be defined in the statues as well but I don't see it anywhere.

There posted here:
http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA912.html

UltimaSE

George S.
October 28, 2004, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to find that every state has laws agains the carrying of a weapon in a school or on school grounds. In WA, it's illegal to carry on all school grounds from elementary schools all the way to colleges and universities. That includes staduims and any other school-related property.

Reading the text of what you provided and the link, I would suspect that the PA AG will tell you that it is illegal to carry on any public or private school grounds including higher education facilities. For my $.02 worth , it probably would be a good idea to not even consider carrying there.

pax
October 28, 2004, 09:56 PM
George ~

With a CCW permit, it is legal to carry onto public school property in Oregon at least. Probably in some other states as well.

Washington's laws aren't quite as straightforward as you imply.

In Washington, it is illegal to carry onto "school premises," or into any other place that is exclusively being used by schools (eg, if a public school rents a roller rink for an end of year party, it's illegal to carry there).

But it is legal to carry onto school grounds "while picking up or dropping off a student." That phrase hasn't been tried out in court, but the best guess of everyone I've talked to about it is that you can be carrying in your car when you swing into the parking lot to pick the kid up, but you'd best not walk into the buildings themselves -- and don't loiter. Pick the kid up and keep going.

As for colleges and universities, carrying there is not prohibited under the RCWs. The RCWs prohibit carry onto elementary and secondary campuses, but colleges and universities aren't prohibited under the RCWs.

Instead, carry on college and university campuses is governed under the Washington Administrative Codes, with separate rules for each campus. (Technically, these are not laws, but regulations. Breaking 'em still gets you in trouble, though.) As far as I know, it's against the WAC to carry on most college or university campuses, but there is no blanket law prohibiting carry on all of them.

And private colleges are entirely at the discretion of the administrators.

pax

artherd
October 29, 2004, 01:19 AM
I wouldn't be suprised to find that every state has laws agains the carrying of a weapon in a school or on school grounds. In WA, it's illegal to carry on all school grounds from elementary schools all the way to colleges and universities. That includes staduims and any other school-related property.

Belive it or not, it's legal to CCW into schools in **CA**...

BigRedBowtie
October 29, 2004, 11:04 AM
Schools are legal in MN (for now)

Dean C
October 30, 2004, 01:27 PM
I had an instructor in college that carried in class. Although, that was many years ago.
dean

If you enjoyed reading about "ccw off limit areas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!