Gang problems in Idaho

PDA

Tall Man
October 29, 2004, 07:51 AM
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041028/D860JCO80.html

Gang Violence Puts Idaho Town on Edge

Oct 28, 2:11 PM (ET)

By BOB FICK

CALDWELL, Idaho (AP) - Gunfire and gang violence are alarming people in this farm town where the usual background noise is the reassuring chug of field machinery.

Since July, police have received more than 100 reports of shots fired in Caldwell, a town of 30,000 halfway between Boise and the Oregon line. Two young men have been killed and several more wounded in drive-by shootings. Police believe most of the violence is gang-related.

Authorities are increasing patrols, and for the first time, neighborhood watches are springing up in Caldwell, a community that for decades has typified small-town conservatism and the farmland work ethic. Many are asking themselves how big-city gang problems reached their quiet corner of the West.

"I can't let my kids go outside," said Maria Salenes. "I don't know what to do anymore, I'm so scared."

Gunfire has plagued Salenes' neighborhood in the past, but the trouble came too close on Oct. 11 when the 37-year-old mother of four heard a midday thump on her door. When she opened it, a man she did not know fell into her living room, mortally wounded in a drive-by.

"He was breathing real hard," she recalled. "He tried to tell me something, but it was his throat. He couldn't talk at all. I feel like nothing is safe."

Two men have been charged in the slaying of Sigmund Goode, 21. The shooting was the fourth in a week in the mostly Hispanic neighborhood of working-class homes and tree-lined streets where many people go home for lunch. It also follows the slaying of 22-year-old Carlos Chavez in August. No arrest has been made in that slaying.

For more than a century, Caldwell has been a hub for one of the most agriculturally productive counties in the nation. Hops, onions, potatoes, beans, sugar beets and hybrid sweet-corn are grown here.

Thanks to a booming state economy, Caldwell's population has jumped 16 percent in the past four years after growing 41 percent in the 1990s. The area has a long history of Hispanic farmworkers migrating here every year to work the summer crops. But since the 1990s, more and more of the families have been settling here.

Police said gang activity, involving both young Hispanics and whites, has grown with the population.

"Poverty in some places is part of it, the lack of parental control, both parents working to keep their heads afloat," said Canyon County prosecutor Dave Young.

Police Capt. Chris Allgood said he has spent most of his 41 years in Caldwell and watched as the town slowly changed. "Fifteen or 20 years ago, we used to have a homicide every three or four years, and now we have three or four every year," he said.

More than 150 people turned out for a recent community meeting at the Hispanic Cultural Center.

"I want to make it an area where my children can go outside and play in the yard and not worry about getting shot," said Jennifer Bennett, 33. "We want to take back our neighborhood."

Police said their efforts have been hindered by witnesses and victims who are afraid to cooperate.

"People in the neighborhoods are the key to solving these cases," Young said. "By not stopping it, you're enabling it. The frustration's just not from them. It's both sides. We're frustrated, too."
=====

Idaho? :scrutiny:

(Tall Man reads the article...)

Oh. It would appear that the state isn't as homogeneous as others have suggested.

TM

If you enjoyed reading about "Gang problems in Idaho" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ID_shooting
October 29, 2004, 08:14 AM
The gangs have allways been here, It was just common knowledge that they stayed in Canyon county (Caldwell). But alas, with illegal immigration run rampid and all the implants from California, we are becomming closer and closer to "big city" status in regards to crime.

What the article didn't mention is that there is no border between Caldwell and Boise anymore. It is one long city comprised of Boise, Garden City, Meridian, Nampa, and then Caldwell. Well over 500,000 folks in the greater Treasure Valley.

If it weren't so devastating and corrupting, it would be commical. People move here to "get away" from places like LA and SO CAL, and enjoy our "rual feel." The sad part is they start to think that we need laws like they had in Califruity and low-and-behold, we start to have the same problems they they left behind :banghead:

I would so support a law that said unless you were born here or lived here at least 30 years, you need to go back!

What used to be an overwhealming conservative state inches closer and closer to a "Kerry state." I bet by the next two elections, our electorate changes to all democrat.

spartacus2002
October 29, 2004, 08:17 AM
time for good citizens to break out the M1As and start patrolling the streets.

Al Norris
October 29, 2004, 08:23 AM
The area has a long history of Hispanic farmworkers migrating here every year to work the summer crops. But since the 1990s, more and more of the families have been settling here.
Thanks to the various amnesty programs, yes more and more citizens of mexico are staying here.

For the most part, these folks are hard working honest folks, just like the rest of us. Some of the gang stuff is being imported by relatives from Ca. They come up here and continue with what they grew up with down there. Others come up here, as there are sent by the Ca. Probation Dept. Idaho accepts them as Ca gives the Idaho Probation dept's much more money than we spend on our own felons. Catch 22.

Between the ultra liberals moving here and the gangs, Idaho is rapidly changing. And not for the good.

redhead
October 29, 2004, 10:08 AM
This is distressing. I grew up in Caldwell, and lived in Idaho until I was in my mid-thirties. My mother still lives in Caldwell. She hasn't mentioned this violence at all. I can't believe she doesn't know about it.

Atticus
October 29, 2004, 10:14 AM
The melting pot is melting down. More importantly, I wonder how many times these bangers have been registered to vote.

longeyes
October 29, 2004, 03:30 PM
Don't blame California. Blame the Federal Government. And that includes the guy in the White House.

And while you're at it blame the businesspeople who hire the illegals and encourage their coming.

Then blame the parents who think their kids are too wonderful to do the work that once upon a time was done by teenagers.

Not all the lefties in Idaho were grown in California. I'm sure your colleges and universities have the common coin of "intellectual" life in America these days.

Standing Wolf
October 29, 2004, 04:21 PM
Borders? We still have borders somewhere?

DCR
October 29, 2004, 05:25 PM
Thankfully, it appears it's just a series of hits/retaliations and confined only to those active in whatever it is gangbangers or wannabe's do. I dread the day an innocent gets injured or killed. Pray for the safety of my buddy on the Caldwell police, a friend since junior high school, smart guy, good Dad, good LEO, and fellow firearms enthusiast.

R.H. Lee
October 29, 2004, 05:29 PM
Wow. That's surprising. My brother lives near there, in LaGrande, Oregon. He's never mentioned it.

Sodbuster
October 29, 2004, 10:20 PM
He tried to tell me something
I don't think I'd be telling that to a reporter who is going to publish that in a newspaper. Some shooters don't like loose ends.

Dave R
October 29, 2004, 10:41 PM
I work with a woman who grew up in Caldwell. Lots of ties to the Latin community.

A guy she knows was shot recently, by another guy she knows. (Knew 'em both in High School.)

She says the Caldwell PD knows who all the gang members are. They just have trouble catching them in the act. Always a problem with 'secret combinations.'

carp killer
October 29, 2004, 11:46 PM
She says the Caldwell PD knows who all the gang members are.

What's wrong with that statement. Sounds like Caldwell PD have gone "pc" and don't want to hurt the gang scumbags feelings.:barf: :barf: :barf:

Fed168
October 30, 2004, 12:49 AM
It's harder to get a banger and then prosecute on gang charges. You gotta have the legislation to do it first. Some states are behind in that fact, like my own for instance.

I know most of them in my city. That doesn't mean I can go out and go violate thier persons just cause they are gang members (don't take that as a sympathetic statement towards them- I can't stand them).

Strings
October 30, 2004, 02:54 AM
Fed... I feel for you, I really do: you're trying to do the job without the proper tools. What scares me though, is how the proper tools can get twistedinto something bad. Catch 22... :(

Silent-Snail
October 30, 2004, 07:31 AM
Don't blame California. Blame the Federal Government. And that includes the guy in the White House.

I dont blame Cali, I blame those who leave there to "get away from it all" and then procede to turn the place into a cesspool like the one they came from. The same goes for morons who move to farm country and comlpain about the noise and smell. :banghead:

ID_shooting
October 30, 2004, 08:23 AM
"The same goes for morons who move to farm country and comlpain about the noise and smell."

Oh man, don't even get me started on this one, LOL

We have a bunch of folks that are building 3-400,000 homes right next to our landfill that has been there for at least 20 years. Now they are all in our editorials and trying to file lawsuites cuz the dump smells.

I think these are the same morons that move up to the mountian where I grew up (near Idaho City) for the peace and quiet, then push the county to pave the roads, then b**ch and moan about all the traffic.

Why does it seem that most of these freaks drive big SUVs that have Kerry bumper stickers.

Silent-Snail
October 30, 2004, 08:42 AM
Why does it seem that most of these freaks drive big SUVs that have Kerry bumper stickers.

Because they do:evil:

Dave R
October 30, 2004, 11:57 AM
What's wrong with that statement. Sounds like Caldwell PD have gone "pc" and don't want to hurt the gang scumbags feelings.

That's not it at all.

The problem with any gang prosecution is that the gangs are smart enough that the police can't get the evidence that they need to prosecute.

Sure, they could say "my informant tells me you're the shooter in the XXX case, so you're coming downtown." Problem is, they have no evidence so they can't make charges stick.

So even if half the town knows that Jimmy whacked Tommy because Tommy stiffed him on drug deal, or offended Jimmy's girl...there's still no gun that matches the bullets taken from Tommy's body, , with Jimmy's prints on it, etc. And nobody will testify in court about it, for fear that Jimmy's brother will whack them.

That's why well-known gangs like the crips and the bloods and the Mafia have been in business for many years.

If there's an easy fix, let the Caldwell PD know.

Sergeant Bob
October 30, 2004, 12:14 PM
The people of Caldwell need to stop looking to the police for help. The police have their hands tied and can do little unless they catch the vermin in action. The police have been trying their best in cities like L.A. for years to little effect. They can't be everywhere, all the time.

It's up to the people to take their town back. The people of Northfield Minnesota did.

Sindawe
October 30, 2004, 12:24 PM
It's up to the people to take their town back. The people of Northfield Minnesota did.

Sargeant Bob, details? Link?

Yooper
October 30, 2004, 01:10 PM
In his book "Sixguns", Elmer Keith relates the story of how Winston, Montana dealt with miscreants.

A man he referred to as an "eastern gunman" held up a local store and was wounded by the train depot agent. The desperado retreated to the hotel and locked himself in an upstairs corner room. The armed citizens of Winston proceeded to ventilate the room from the street, the wounded perp was sent to Helena by train and died en route.

How times have changed!

jfh
October 30, 2004, 02:08 PM
is the small Minnesota town where the James Gang met their comeuppance many years ago. The James Gang came to town to rob the Northfield Bank--and the citizens stopped it.

You can read all about it here: http://www.djjd.org/lmth/bankraid.html

However, Sergeant Bob may be referencing more recent efforts of the town to deal with the gang problems that have come up with recent migration and the drugs they've brought in. Only he knows, right now....

goalie
October 30, 2004, 07:38 PM
The people of Northfield Minnesota did.

Jesse James: "This is a bank robbery, give us your money!!!"

BANG BANG BANG BANG

Pastor: "We are gathered here today to mourn the passing of Jesse James........."

Of course, that is the abridged version.

GrayBear
October 30, 2004, 08:04 PM
I guess it's easier to blame "refugees" from the ever so hated California than it is to blame the rural farmers/ranchers for hiring the illegal aliens to run that farm machinery that chugs so peacefully.

The California refugees are rarely known to move to a rural area and immediately apply for welfare. In fact, they usually buy or build a house, buy lots of gas for their SUV's, join a church and a golf club.

The Kali's are really likely to consider drive-by shootings as a hobby!

GrayBear

Sergeant Bob
October 30, 2004, 08:10 PM
However, Sergeant Bob may be referencing more recent efforts of the town to deal with the gang problems that have come up with recent migration and the drugs they've brought in. Only he knows, right now....
Didn't even know about that one. I was indeed referring to "The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid" where the Jesse and Frank James, Cole Younger and his brothers Bob and Jim received a rather unpleasant reception when they tried to rob the bank.

carebear
October 30, 2004, 09:55 PM
Jesse James was shot in the back in his house years later by the Coward, Robert Ford.

utahminirevolver
October 31, 2004, 09:27 AM
"Borders? We still have borders somewhere?"

Sadly, we have erased our borders and are allowing even criminals and enemies to move into our land in number and colonize and terrorize us. And they tend to have a higher birthrate than us. We're apparently heading into the 'interesting times' of the old Chinese curse. But on the other hand, optimistically, we can ally with the good majority of newcomers and get them to work with us against the bad of whatever ancestry. That would include waking up our own brain-dead liberals to today's dangers, and starting to enforce our borders and immigration laws once more.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gang problems in Idaho" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!