The correct spelling is 'ordinance', is it not?

PDA

zahc
October 31, 2004, 02:09 PM
I deliver pizza and as such get to see a lot of the 'no guns' signs on business doors here in Ohio.

One such flavor I assume the state sells or gives out because it's official looking and everybody has the same one, including the police station and state hospital. It says '...weapon or deadly ordnance..'.

Close enough for government work eh?

Btw I wouldn't be able to carry at my job anyway as the car carry thing is about impossible, and I'm under 21. I need to move to a free state.

If you enjoyed reading about "The correct spelling is 'ordinance', is it not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Silver Bullet
October 31, 2004, 02:14 PM
Depends on what they're trying to say. Roughly, "ordinance" is a law; "ordnance" is ammunition.

From the context, I'd say they meant "ordnance", as they spelled it. However, "ordinance" would be much funnier when you realize that gun control laws make things more, not less, dangerous.

DMF
October 31, 2004, 02:17 PM
http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=ordnance

AZRickD
October 31, 2004, 02:43 PM
While usage varies a bit, ordnance is considered heavier weaponry and kabooms.

There is a difference between "Arms" and "Ordnance." So when the anti-gunner tries to make the argument that the 2nd Amendment is out of step because nobody should have a nuclear weapon (nuclear "arms") you might suggest to him/her that a nuclear weapons is considered to be ordnance not common arms of the soldier and the Founders knew the difference. That being said, the Founds had no problem with private ships being armed with cannon, and many folks had a pair of functional cannon on their property, and they weren't just lawn ornaments.

Rick

SMMAssociates
October 31, 2004, 10:32 PM
Zahc:

There's no standard at all for the signs. The A/G's web site has a "suggested" sample that is likely what you've been seeing.

Hopefully, by the time you're old enough the vehicular carry issues will be resolved. :fire:

repsychler
November 1, 2004, 11:55 AM
Hand grenades are deadly ordnance.
Anti-gun laws are deadly ordinance.
;)

The sign is correct.

If you enjoyed reading about "The correct spelling is 'ordinance', is it not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!