OBL makes threats on "Red states"

PDA

Jmurman
November 1, 2004, 05:08 PM
This was reported today in the NY Post.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/33124.htm

Your thoughts?

November 1, 2004 -- WASHINGTON - Osama bin Laden warned in his October Surprise video that he will be closely monitoring the state-by-state election returns in tomorrow's presidential race — and will spare any state that votes against President Bush from being attacked, according to a new analysis of his statement.
The respected Middle East Media Research Institute, which monitors and translates Arabic media and Internet sites, said initial translations of a key portion of bin Laden's video rant to the American people Friday night missed an ostentatious bid by the Saudi-born terror master to divide American voters and tilt the election towards Democratic challenger John Kerry.

MEMRI said radical Islamist commentators monitored over the Internet this past weekend also interpreted the key passage of bin Laden's diatribe to mean that any U.S. state that votes to elect Bush on Tuesday will be considered an "enemy" and any state that votes for Kerry has "chosen to make peace with us."

The statement in question is when bin Laden said on the tape: "Your security is up to you, and any state that does not toy with our security automatically guarantees its own security."

That sentence followed a lengthy passage in the video in which bin Laden launches personal attacks on the president.

Yigal Carmon, president of MEMRI, said bin Laden used the Arabic term "ay-wilaya" to refer to a "state" in that sentence.

That term "specifically refers to an American state, like Tennessee," Carmon said, adding that if bin Laden were referring to a "country" he would have used the Arabic word "dawla."

MEMRI also translated an analysis of bin Laden's statement from the Islamist Web site al-Qal'a, well known for posting al-Qaeda messages, which agreed that bin Laden's use of the word "ay-wilaya" was meant as a "warning to every U.S state separately."

"It means that any U.S. state that will choose to vote for the white thug Bush as president, it means that it chose to fight us and we will consider it an enemy to us, and any state that will vote against Bush, it means that it chose to make peace with us and we will not characterize it as an enemy," the Web site said, according to MEMRI's translation.

Home

NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc. NYPOST.COM, NYPOSTONLINE.COM, and NEWYORKPOST.COM
are trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc.
Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

If you enjoyed reading about "OBL makes threats on "Red states"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
parados
November 1, 2004, 05:20 PM
Its official... Osama bin Laden is a Kerry Supporter!

cslinger
November 1, 2004, 05:30 PM
Wahooo I personally am apparently a threat to OBL. Nice to know little ole' me and my red state can get somebody's knickers in such a twist.

Heck one of the only reasons I see Bush as the clear choice is because he wakes up every morning and I truely believe his first thoughts are to find him some terrorists and kill em' dead. Warms my heart actually.

Geeez, why not come out and just beg for the bombs to stop dropping.

Would somebody please send this guy a telegram explaining that we are not Spain, We are Americans and it is American to pissed off and pissed off Americans are not to be trifled with. We are generally a good bunch of people who are more than willing to let you slide but we are only going to ouch quit it for so long.

Personally OBL can take his ultimatum and choke on that and all that he bit off that can't now chew.

Jmurman
November 1, 2004, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I guess that the folks in NY and DC can sleep better tonight, right?

Gray Peterson
November 1, 2004, 06:33 PM
I would think he means "state" by nation state.

XavierBreath
November 1, 2004, 06:35 PM
GW was needing this boost!

I bet JK loves this endorsement!

Grey54956
November 1, 2004, 07:24 PM
Just another sign that OBL is healing someone breathing down his neck. Ain't too far from the day that he'll be slippin' down into the potter's ground.

cls12vg30
November 1, 2004, 07:33 PM
So does this mean that we can consider those states that go for Kerry to have made a seperate alliance with OBL, and therefore in a state of rebellion and treason against the United States?

Sam Adams
November 1, 2004, 08:07 PM
Osama, you are hereby invited to Texas. I venture to say that shortly after arriving, you'd find out if that 72 virgins she-it is true, or just a bunch of hooey - and when I say shortly, I mean on the order of seconds after you've been recognized.

Hey, don't forget to bring along your fellow goat-bangers - we have at least 30 million guns here, not to mention a couple of armored divisions at Ft. Hood, and we would give you a FINE Texas welcome.

There are also lots of hungry pigs here in Texas (I mean of the 4-legged, cloven-hooved variety), all of whom can't wait to see whether smelly terrorists taste good.

benEzra
November 1, 2004, 08:26 PM
I would think he means "state" by nation state.
I think the word in Arabic is more specific than our English word "state," which as you state can have multiple meanings. The article stated,
Yigal Carmon, president of MEMRI, said bin Laden used the Arabic term "ay-wilaya" to refer to a "state" in that sentence.

That term "specifically refers to an American state, like Tennessee," Carmon said, adding that if bin Laden were referring to a "country" he would have used the Arabic word "dawla."

Standing Wolf
November 1, 2004, 08:37 PM
Its official... Osama bin Laden is a Kerry Supporter!

Actually, I suspect you've got it backweird: that Kerry creature is an Osama bin Laden supporter.

RocketMan
November 1, 2004, 10:54 PM
That means I'm safe here in Oregon.
:scrutiny:

ThreadKiller
November 1, 2004, 11:06 PM
Bring it on OBL! Not all of us have lost our way.

Tim

Chut1st
November 1, 2004, 11:42 PM
Probably not a good idea for OBL and his goons to threaten the red states. We're the ones who have the most relaxed gun laws, the most CCWs and the most ammo stockpiled.

Gray Peterson
November 2, 2004, 12:06 AM
Al Jazeera released a transcript of the full thing, apparently it did not include the threat.

pax
November 2, 2004, 12:13 AM
Lonnie ~

There's a full transcript on this page from Outlook India. (http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20041101&fname=obl&sid=1)

Check out the last sentence on page four. (http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20041101&fname=obl&sid=1&pn=4)

Sure looks like the threat is there to me.

Interesting transcript, in any case.

pax

Headless Thompson Gunner
November 2, 2004, 12:25 AM
I want the official poster:

Start with that old WWII propaganda poster with the image of Uncle Sam pointing his finger, saying "I YOU to buy war bonds/enlist/whatever"

Rework the Uncle Sam image into one of bin Laden. Change the quote to "Osama wants YOU to vote for Kerry"

I'd put one up in my living room. :evil:

Gray Peterson
November 2, 2004, 12:31 AM
Still sounds like political shenanigans to me.

motoman
November 2, 2004, 12:48 AM
Does this mean if my state (MN) votes for sKerry we will be spared Osama's wrath?

El Rojo
November 2, 2004, 12:55 AM
Osama needs to stop beating around the Bush (no pun intended) and just clearly state he would prefer John Kerry to be President. I mean he has hinted at it, but I sure wish he would come out and say it. That would make this election so much not closer than it appears to be now.

Third_Rail
November 2, 2004, 01:41 AM
Headless Thompson Gunner, I actually have a poster like that on my computer... I'll see if I can dig it up! :D

OF
November 2, 2004, 09:42 AM
Here is the MEMRI link (http://memri.org/bin/latestnews.cgi?ID=SA1404).

Looks legit to me, Lonnie. Which begs the question, did the media honestly 'misinterpret' the term, or did they obscure the meaning purposefully?

3 guesses.

- Gabe :fire:

El Tejon
November 2, 2004, 09:52 AM
Not worried. If the The Base shows up here, they will just enroll at Purdue and become electrical or civil engineers.:D

halvey
November 2, 2004, 09:55 AM
And Kerry didn't comdemn the "endorsement"? Unbelievable.

Wasn't a BLUE state attacked? Twice?

John Hicks
November 2, 2004, 10:09 AM
To quote my favorite demon-fighter, Ash, my message to Osama:

"Come get some!"

jh

OF
November 2, 2004, 10:13 AM
Osama bin Laden: "Anybody but Bush 2004!"

S Roper
November 2, 2004, 10:22 AM
"Not worried. If the The Base shows up here, they will just enroll at Purdue and become electrical or civil engineers."

I got my BSEE at Purdue. I don't know what "the Base" means, but I don't remember any Islamists in the program.

El Tejon
November 2, 2004, 10:27 AM
The Base=Al Qaeda.

1911Tuner
November 2, 2004, 10:27 AM
Well, I'm all scared now. I reckon I might oughta go hide or somethin'...
Yep. I'm completely terrorized..NO! I'm mortified! Yeah yeah...That's it!
Mortified and paralyzed with fear and dread. Yep...Yessiree Bob!

roscoe
November 2, 2004, 10:33 AM
Most of you don't seem to understand that Osama bin Laden is certainly sophisticated to understand that his statements will provide support for Bush, not Kerry. He knows that he is riling people - he also knows that his support grows in the middle east if there is an easily demonized President of the US. This guy does not want peace - he thrives on conflict.

The reactions shown so far are EXACTLY what he wanted.

There is a civil war within Islam right now, between fundamentalists and non-fundamentalists, and George Bush is on the fundamentalists' recruiting poster.

1911Tuner
November 2, 2004, 11:02 AM
FWIW...I think that roscoe hit the nail square on the hittin' spot. What better way to recruit more jihadists than to give'em somethin' to be riled at.

No matter...What will be will be. They started this jihad, and will pursue it regardless of who wins the election.

Come dance with us Oh-Sama...We're ya Huckleberry!

ThreadKiller
November 2, 2004, 11:34 AM
No matter...What will be will be. They started this jihad, and will pursue it regardless of who wins the election.

Agreed. I just hope we elect a President who will fight back. (Hopefully in a ruthless and pre-emptive manner)

Tim

Jmurman
November 2, 2004, 11:45 AM
""FWIW...I think that roscoe hit the nail square on the hittin' spot. What better way to recruit more jihadists than to give'em somethin' to be riled at.

Come dance with us Oh-Sama...We're ya Huckleberry!""

Ok, so my question is this...arent they running outta virgins yet?:) :) :)

petrel800
November 2, 2004, 12:17 PM
To OBL from a red state-

Just bring it.

OF
November 2, 2004, 12:20 PM
I disagree.

Yes, OBL is looking to unite the Middle East in jihad against the Great Satan. This is his 'Plan B' after 'Plan A', destroy the Great Satan's will and crush it economically, didn't work out so good.

Now he's off to get islamofacist regimes in place in as many ME 'countries' as he can in hopes that they can all band together like some sort of sabre-weilding uber-terrorist Transformer robot and attack the Great Satan together.

Sigh.

The fact is, massive conflict between the islamofacists, their supportive states and followers was going to happen one way or another. The only way out is through. It matters not that going on the offense in the War on Terror is what OBL hopes for, as he expects our aggressive action to push the weak-minded dregs of Islamic society to his side, because there is no alternative.

It is only common sense for him to adopt a strategy that would hope to play off the weaknesses in the American response, what else would he hope to do?

The standing-up of free-ish societies is the antidote to his plan. Freedom, prosperity, wealth-creation, human rights. These are the weapons that will pull the rug out from under OBL's master plan to unite the Middle East under his 12th century barbaric banner.

The nay-saying and the 'get us out of Iraq' and the 'wrong war, wrong place, wrong time' crap is what will jeopardize our ultimate victory and islamofacism's ultimate defeat. There is no option but to move forward.

It is no big secret that OBL wants the US to antagonize the islamists in the ME. What he did not expect, and why I believe his address trying to divide the US electorate and put Kerry in the White House is not a ploy to keep W, is the measured ferocity and follow-through of the US response.

If we had just nuked a few Muslim holy sites, he would have had what he wanted. But we did not. We are moving forward with a plan that results, ultimately, in his becoming irrelevant. If the oppresed are not oppressed, if the gov'ts are reposnsive to the people, if the citizens of the ME start to see their own lives improve, OBL and his ilk will have no more 'swamp' to draw their jihadists from - who are overwhelmingly from the slums. Look at Iraq: the trouble spots are the most impoverished, worthless hellholes in that country. The sectors that are moving forward are not in 'rebellion'.

So, I believe OBL is on to a 'Plan C' at this point. A and B are busts, C is to reduce the American aggressiveness to a level he and his ilk can more readily handle. Get us out of Iraq so he can put a fundamentalist islamic regime in place, which would be an enormous victory and launch the next phase for him. This election is his big chance to do that.

He needs Kerry now. 4 more years of W just might be the end of his involvement in the jihad and 30 more years of W's aggressive anti-islamist policies could be the end (or at least the beginning of the end) of islamofacism in the ME.

- Gabe

one-shot-one
November 2, 2004, 01:53 PM
so i should vote for Bush because Osama endorsed Kerry;
i should vote for Kerry because Osama really wants Bush;

frankly i don't give a crap what Osama wants. i already voted early so its to late to effect me anyway.

untill the Constitution party can feild a viable canidate on the ballet in all 50 states i'll vote republican.
and don't bother telling me about the Liberterians i won't vote for the pothead/no borders jokes either.

OF
November 2, 2004, 02:02 PM
Don't let OBL pick your candidate for you, but it is another data point...a fairly important one.

- Gabe

geekWithA.45
November 2, 2004, 02:45 PM
The bottom line is that I simply don't care what his machinations are, or how I should or shouldn't triangulate them.

His plans, whatever they may be must be brought to a screeching halt.

His choices in the matter must be taken away from him.

We must implement the prime War Doctrine: To destroy our enemies war making capability through the use of overwhelming force.

http://www.agtiger.com/~gwa45/pictures/HeyOsama.jpg

BeLikeTrey
November 2, 2004, 03:58 PM
Should we all get a collection of pictures and see if Al Jazeera will post them or show them? I think that would be hilarious if they showed tons of americans daring that no count has been to try something. I think laughing him out of the limelight would be best. humiliate him. LOL

If you enjoyed reading about "OBL makes threats on "Red states"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!