Illegal to scope an SKS?

PDA

TCW
November 2, 2004, 09:40 AM
Hi All,
Ive read here and there on THR about how mounting a scope on an SKS would be an illegal alteration to the gun, due to its military import status or some such thing. Is this true? I live in **********, if that matters (so the gun would already have no grenade launcher, detachable mag or pistol grip).

Thanks for the responses,
TCW

If you enjoyed reading about "Illegal to scope an SKS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
November 2, 2004, 10:07 AM
Incorrect, AFAIK, as the scope isn't part of the gun per se.

TimRB
November 2, 2004, 10:09 AM
"Ive read here and there on THR about how mounting a scope on an SKS would be an illegal alteration to the gun, due to its military import status or some such thing. Is this true?"

No. It is true that mounting a scope on an SKS may cause it no longer to be classified as a "curio and relic" firearm. If that is so, and the purchaser bought the rifle under a C&R license, he would have to log it out of his bound book as a transfer to himself. This is entirely legal.

In California, most SKS rifles are not legally curios and relics. Even though the Federal government specifically classifies them as C&R, the PRK government also has the requirement that rifles be at least 50 years old, and almost none of them are. This means that if you buy an SKS in PRK you will have to buy it from/through an 01 dealer, making the sale legally the same as any other rifle purchase. Therefore, you can mount a scope on it as you wish.

Tim

TCW
November 2, 2004, 10:12 AM
Even if you change a piece of the gun to add a scope?:

http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=ZMNT6606&back=yes&dept=95&last=

TearsOfRage
November 2, 2004, 10:28 AM
Also, only C&R SKS are allowed to have a bayonet (not the lug, the bayonet itself) mounted. So since attaching the scope would make it no longer a C&R, you would have to remove the bayonet. I believe it's still ok for you to posess the bayonet separately.

bogie
November 2, 2004, 10:37 AM
Huh?

What is the regulation that says that one cannot attach something to a C&R item?

jefnvk
November 2, 2004, 11:54 AM
I thought it was only Yugo SKS's that couldn't be legally scoped? SKS's are a slippery slope regarding legal issues. If you really want to scope it, I'd change out the required foreign parts.

Read here: http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

rritter
November 2, 2004, 04:20 PM
I can give a partial answer. Federal law prohibits the import of weapons with certain features that are not suitable for 'sporting purposes'. SKSs fall under this law, since the ATF doesn't consider the bayonet to be 'sporting'. Yugo SKSs are exempted because they have status as a curio & relic. It is also illegal to modify a legally imported weapon into a form that would be illegal to import.

This question usually comes up in regard to putting a larger capacity magazine or a non-standard stock on the SKS, which removes it from its C&R status and brings it squarely into the non-importable realm. Thus, the only legal way to add the new components is to change enough other parts that the SKS is no longer considered to be imported. If I recall correctly, this means that less than ten parts are imported.

That said, I don't know how the ATF would consider a scope mount that left the rifle otherwise unmodified.

ReadyontheRight
November 2, 2004, 04:42 PM
Illegal to scope an SKS?

All depends who wins today.

Black Snowman
November 2, 2004, 05:23 PM
Here's the forum with your answers. Should be in one of the stickies:

Survivor's SKS Forum: SKS Legal Issues (http://www.sksboards.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=de3002c389e148080ffe22cd7972cc5f)

joab
November 2, 2004, 05:41 PM
Onr thing I would mention. If you are looking at one of those scope mounts that replace the dust cover, you should know that they are referred, by some, to as zeroless scope mounts.
Because they will almost never hold zero. The ones I have seesn mounted on SKSs at shows have been super glued on.

Go to Kalinka for more options

Spot77
November 2, 2004, 06:14 PM
Yup....listen to Joab. I've been there, done that.

I was able to zero in the scope, but after 8 or 10 shots it worked it's way loose and out of zero.

Happened every time, no matter how tight I made it.

TooTaxed
November 2, 2004, 07:36 PM
Virtually all of the SKSs I see at the range here in Georgia are scoped. Mine has a rock-solid B-Square mount. You'll have to use a short scope that doesn't project over the action, as the SKS ejects vertically...but if you install a case deflector ($5 from CDNN, but wire it onto the sight blade) a long scope works just fine.

Don't bother with an expensive scope, as the rifle/cartridge combo just isn't capable of much accuracy. But I can hit the 360-yd gong with every shot, which is fun!

If you enjoyed reading about "Illegal to scope an SKS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!