Can someone tell me why we have to register to vote?

PDA

zahc
November 2, 2004, 10:15 AM
Why is it that I cannot just show up at the polls with my social security card or 3 forms of ID or something and vote?

Why is it, that if we must register, that there is no modern, convenient way to do so online?

I know it's not the most difficult thing in the world as is, but I don't see why it's neccessary.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone tell me why we have to register to vote?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
November 2, 2004, 10:21 AM
For question 1, regestering is SUPPOSED to eliminate fraud.

for Q2, look at all the threads regarding fraud, particularly with the Diebold e-vote machines.

My humble 1/50th of $1

El Rojo
November 2, 2004, 10:25 AM
Personally this same day registration with an ID or a friend who will swear you live in the area is pretty scary. I would never put it past some political group to have several hundred people vote multiple times. I think it is reasonable for an informed and concerned electorate to register to vote before hand if they want to vote.

Silver Bullet
November 2, 2004, 10:26 AM
If you weren't registered, what's to stop you from showing up at 10 different polling places with your "3 forms of ID" and voting each time ?

Please don't tell me you didn't register. I posted a thread here several months ago with a link to a site showing last dates to register for each state, and with downloadable application forms. I bumped the thread back to the top each month afterwards.

Deavis
November 2, 2004, 10:28 AM
Why is it that I cannot just show up at the polls with my social security card or 3 forms of ID or something and vote?

Come to Texas :)

---------------------------------

Polls are open from 7 am to 7 pm on election day.

Election day polling locations are made available on-line shortly before each election day. These polling places are subject to change up until election day. Your precinct number is printed on the front of your voter registration certificate.

Registered voters can vote with a voter registration card, driver’s license or any official photo ID, birth certificate, United States citizenship papers or passport, a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement or other official document that shows the name and address of the voter.
NOTE TO FIRST-TIME VOTERS: If you are a first-time voter in Travis County who registered to vote by mail and did not previously provide a copy of ID, you must show a form of ID other than a Voter Registration Certificate before voting.

--------

The bank statement stuff is crap, it should have to be a real ID

S Roper
November 2, 2004, 11:39 AM
I believe ND doesn't require registration.

obiwan1
November 2, 2004, 12:06 PM
Just think what would happen if a lot of dead people and illegal immigrants voted:what:

Oh, my bad, they're already doing it. Maybe if we show PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP in order to register, that may help eliminate fraud.:banghead:

Destructo6
November 2, 2004, 03:00 PM
I believe you can still cast a provisional ballot, at least in some states. They'll hold it and try to cross reference it to ensure you did not vote more than once.

blue86buick
November 3, 2004, 04:15 AM
Well, I may have done what they don't like then... :uhoh:

I moved within the last month, and never updated my voter registration. Yesterday I wanted to get my voting over with, so about 10:30am I went to my county auditors office, updated my voter reg, and voted. As an honest lil citizen, I didn't also go to my old voting place and vote twice...that'd be stupid.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone tell me why we have to register to vote?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!