Stupid question

PDA

DWS1117
November 2, 2004, 11:28 PM
Does Kerry lose his seat in the Senate? Obviously if he wins (please, please, please don't let this happen) he can't be the President and a Senator. If he looses, is he still a Senator?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boofus
November 2, 2004, 11:29 PM
Not if they 'discover' evidence proving he provided comfort and aid to the North Vietnamese enemy during wartime. The 14th amendment will put an end to his political career.

Brian Dale
November 3, 2004, 12:06 AM
Not really a stupid Q; it doesn't get discussed all of the time.

Yes - Kerry is still in the middle of his Senate term. With six-year terms, remember that in one election of every three, neither of the Senate seats in a state will be contested. This year in Massachusetts, neither Sen. Kerry nor Sen. Kennedy is at the end of his term. Kerry's been collecting his Senate paycheck during the past year of campaigning, not showing up for any votes at all except for the gun-grabbing measure last summer.

In my state of North Carolina, by contrast (to give you another example), we've just elected Richard Burr today to replace John Edwards. We elected Elizabeth Dole two years ago, so she has four years left in her term. In the 2006 election, neither NC Senator will be up for re-election (Dole four years into her six-year term, and Burr two years into his six-year term).

I hope you didn't find this to be insultingly repetitive; I've just tried to make it clear.

Greg L
November 3, 2004, 12:21 AM
Lieberman kept his seat in 2000 IIRC.

Gre

Hawkmoon
November 3, 2004, 12:25 AM
Lieberman kept his seat in 2000 IIRC.
Yes, he did ... but not because of the 6-year "skip." Lieberman was up for reelection in the Senate, and he kept his name on the ballot for Senator while he ran for V.P. at the same time. A very sleazy trick, IMHO, but it kept his day job when Gore imploded.

Standing Wolf
November 3, 2004, 12:34 AM
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

DWS1117
November 3, 2004, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that if he lost that he would loose his seat in the senate as well and we would be rid of him all the way around.

Oh well, I'll keep dreaming.

Leatherneck
November 3, 2004, 08:00 AM
Should be interesting to see what his effectiveness is in the Senate. I wouldn't be surprised to see him replace Daschle as minority leader. :barf:

TC
TFL Survivor

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!