Para Don't Get It!

PDA

Chuck Perry
February 26, 2003, 06:56 PM
Why does Para Ordnance refuse to make a alloy frame version of their CCW series pistols? I appreciate that steel will hold up longer to repeated firing, but aren't CCWs by their nature carried more than shot? I know mine are. I think that a 3" pistol on an alloy frame, coupled with their bobbed hammer and grip safety, would be just about perfect.

If you enjoyed reading about "Para Don't Get It!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
yankytrash
February 26, 2003, 08:44 PM
Because in 30 years, you won't be oogling over an old alloy-framed gun. Steel rules the roost. Please don't put that seed in Para's head, I like'm the way they are. ;)

Why not just get one of these new fangled poly guns? They're pretty light.

coonan357
February 26, 2003, 10:07 PM
I don't know about you but when we loaded up a mag full of hardball in my 6-45 it was still pretty light by my means , but then again when one has a 14-45 ...

10-Ring
February 26, 2003, 10:38 PM
I think Para is just trying to stick w/ what works for them.

ahadams
February 26, 2003, 11:14 PM
?because para isn't trying to compete with Taurus?

I own and like my PT 945, but if I could afford a 14.45 I'd like THAT too!

Angus MacDuff
February 26, 2003, 11:35 PM
I don't mind the extra weight of a true 1911 double stack in my 14.45 LTD. I don't care for anything other than steel. I have a Glock 34 and nearly hate it.

Chuck Perry
February 27, 2003, 12:09 AM
I never said to make the gun out of polymer. I have tried polymer and don't like it. Several times over. I am selling a polymer Kahr right now. Aluminum is a different story. Perhaps Para isn't competing with Taurus, but just maybe they'd like to steal some business away from Kimber, Springfield and Colt? All three offer 3" 1911's on aluminum frames. This is a gun designed to protect your life. You have to live with it,too. Steel is great but it gets heavy. Heavy has a tendency to get left behind. Protection left behind is useless. If I shoot an alloy gun enough to wear it out, I'll go buy another one. Cheap life insurance.

Alan Fud
February 27, 2003, 03:51 AM
"Heavy" absorbs recoil better than "lite" thus making your shots more accurate. A hit will do more damage than a miss. Not to get sidetracked, but I have a S&W340 and a S&W640. The 640 is twice the weight of the 340 but it absorbs the recoil a heck of a lot better than the 12oz 340. The 340 spends a lot of time in the safe and when it does come out, it's loaded with .38's and not .357's. Going back to Para ... I would imagine that the C6.45LDA with an aluminum frame would make it less accurate due to the heavier recoil.

The Nip
February 27, 2003, 08:57 AM
If you want a sissy light-weight .45acp, then go buy a Crock 36. Otherwise, don't ever attempt to alter an accurate, reliable, tried-and-true design.

The 1911 will be around LONG after the Crock, if not just for the aesthetic appeal.

NIP

The Nip
February 27, 2003, 09:02 AM
BTW...I've shot the C6 (or C7), and I can't stand that thing. The trigger is OK....barely, but the basic action of that piece just plain sucks. SUCKS. It's slow, unrefined, and not anywhere nearly as solid-feeling as a Colt, Kimber or Springfield.

They're nice, but until the price drops a few hundred dollars, there are quite a few other places in which I can waste my money...like strip clubs.

I understand that Para has a following, but I'm guessing that most in that group follow as so because "Para" is easier to spell.

NIP

MarineTech
February 27, 2003, 11:12 AM
You're doing a great dis-service to Para owners Nip.

Para has done quite a bit of innovating in the 1911 field. They were the first company to commercially produce high capacity 1911s. The new LDA triggers are also going to bring shooters that don't like cocked and locked around to the 1911 design.

With that said, I own a Para CCW7.45S and I own a series 1 Kimber Compact Stainless. I'm not sure what part of the "basic action" you have a problem with on the Para, but I will say the action of my Para is definately more solid and functions more authoritatively when cycling than my Kimber.

I also happen to like the LDA and have had no problem transitioning to it from a SA trigger. Remember the old adage: Just because you can't shoot something, dosen't mean others can't.

As to using steel frames, the extra weight helps to keep a 1911 a bit more controllable for follow up shots and helps to tame recoil in a smaller frame gun. Yes, carry guns are usually carried more than shot, but that dosen't mean a shooter should not train regularly. A shooter is also less likely to train if a firearm is uncomfortable to shoot.

If you have an axe to grind with Para, say so. You also might take note that insulting a group of people is a pretty decent way to have people disregard anything you say on the forum.

Oh, and Nip, Para might be a bit easier to say, but it's still a bit more complicated than "Nip".

Al Thompson
February 27, 2003, 11:23 AM
Several folks in the local IDPA clubuse Paras. Looks like a decent HG to me.

Chuck Perry
February 27, 2003, 11:28 AM
Consider that an alloy 3" 1911 would weigh around 24 ounces empty. This is the same weight as various polymer autos that are considered "serious" combat pieces. A 12oz scandium 45 auto would be rough. I don't see how a 24oz 45 could be unmanagable for the general public. Nip, if two guns are chambered identical (Glock 36/5" 1911) how does one rate as sissy because it's a lighter weapon? Same payload, same punch.

Smoke
February 27, 2003, 11:51 AM
I'll always be a loyal Para Ordnance fan. I purchased a P14.45 LDA and shot it about 2500 rounds before deciding the LDA trigger was just not for me. I still think it is the best DA trigger out there, I just don't like double action.

I traded it for a P14.45 Limited single action. I'm now into 5000+ rounds and have never had a problem. (Never had a problem with the LDA either)

I like the double stack. It fits my large hands better. I think the gun is very good quality. It is accurate.

I have a Kimber, Colt, and Springfield but the Para is still my favorite. Para is a inovative company. Who else makes a DAO 1911? Who else makes anything similar to their CCW line? Who else is making Double stack 1911s (OK Wilson, Kimber, Springfield....;) ) But who makes more?

If you enjoyed reading about "Para Don't Get It!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!