Knob Creek "carry" ????

PDA

Logistar
February 26, 2003, 09:09 PM
OK. I live close to the range but have only been there a couple of times. HOPEFULLY this will be my first Machine Gun Shoot in April.

My questions are...

What exactly is a COLD range?

During the machine gun shoot in April... do I just walk around with my Beretta 92 on my side and an AR-15 (I HOPE by then) on my back just waiting for an opportunity to shoot them in a match?

Is having your handgun holstered OK?

Is just having the action open on a rifle OK?

Should I leave the guns home unless I am already "entered" in a match?

I hate to sound so ignorant but I really don't know how this works - especially at the machine gun shoot.

Thanks!

Logistar

If you enjoyed reading about "Knob Creek "carry" ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
faustulus
February 26, 2003, 09:33 PM
Cold range= Weapons unloaded until you are on the firing line. No magazines in the gun when you are not on the line. You may not handle your weapon except when on the line or in a designated "safe area" Magazines may not be handled or loaded in the safe area.
I haven't been to Knob Creek's match so maybe some one can offer more information, but usually at matches you bring your gun in a case, and only get it out in the safe area. Once it is on leave it holstered and don't touch it. Often guys with long guns use cases and only get them out once they are ready to shoot.

Gewehr98
February 26, 2003, 09:44 PM
Here I was thinking it was carrying Knob Creek. I don't carry mine much, but I do make it a point of always having a full bottle of the stuff in the house. ;)

http://www.barrelsoffunstore.com/images/catalog/bourbon/smaller/knob-creek.jpg

Intune
February 26, 2003, 09:50 PM
I was only there once (last Fall) and I don't remember any matches going on. They ziplock your action open at the gate and then people were allowed to shoot at the lower range where you could rent full auto. Hope this helps and maybe a KC vet will chime in.

El Tejon
February 26, 2003, 10:03 PM
Logi, call the range to register for any matches. Don't know if they still have them or not. [Geezer voice] Used to.

They make you check your pistol now? WTH?

mpthole
February 27, 2003, 12:21 AM
I'm sure bogie will chime in here, but in the meantime... I'll see if I can answer some of your questions. :)

A "cold range" has already been explained. No loaded firearms outside of the firing line area, except for authorized security personnel.

If you decide to open carry on the grounds, it must be unloaded and zip-tied by the security personnel at the entrance to the firing ranges. I don't think they do this at the main entrance to the grounds - just the one to the ranges.

ALL firearms that enter the firing range area WILL be zip-tied: rifles, shotguns, handguns, you name it.

If you're not entered in a match, nobody will even blink if you decided to bring them anyway. ... but they WILL be zip-tied upon entrance to the firing ranges.

I had such a great time at the fall shoot that I'm doing my darndest to make it back to the spring shoot in April. Maybe there'll be a THR get-together?? :)

ps. If you do make it there, like bogie said over at TFL before the fall shoot, you absolutely have to have a waffle! :D

bogie
February 27, 2003, 11:58 AM
Yeah - due to the number of people wandering around, they DO NOT want some bubba to have a negligent discharge. Works for me.

I don't think that anyone has to worry about their safety.

El Tejon
February 27, 2003, 12:01 PM
bogie, eta pravda? No carry at Knob Creek anymore?

bogie
February 27, 2003, 12:40 PM
What folks don't see doesn't bother 'em - but they're treating it like a normal gunshow - zipties.

Logistar
February 28, 2003, 01:39 AM
Thanks guys. I get the picture. I think I will just CCW my Beretta and not worry about it. Since this will be my first time, I will probably just walk around and check it out.

If the weather is good I might go Friday and Saturday. Knob Creek is about a 30 minute drive from my house. :)

Logistar

bogie
February 28, 2003, 10:20 AM
I suggest that before the dealie that we post some pictures so that everyone can recognize everyone else. This time I'm gonna bring some "Hello, My Name Is..." badges too - I suspect we'll need 'em.

Logistar
February 28, 2003, 10:35 AM
What if we just grap a name badge or something similar and put THR (in large letters) on it? Of course a gathering time and location would be nice for those who could make it.

I don't know much about the timing of events and the layout of the place, but we should be able to find a location for those who want to meet other THR people. I an really looking forward to this! - Can't wait to have that waffle!

Logistar

If you enjoyed reading about "Knob Creek "carry" ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!