Internet Explorer keeps blitzing this site

PDA

Crimper-D
February 26, 2003, 11:42 PM
I keep getting "Invalid Page Faults" as an excuse for the "Illegal Action" popup that keeps cutting me out this site. :banghead: :fire:
Any remedies???
OBTW: I do NOT Intentionally "Subscribe" to every thread I respond to and do NOT appreciate E-mail notifications of every contribution to a thread I responded to - I have more than enough E-mail without this feature adding to the flood.
Mind telling me how to PERMENENTLY "Unsubscribe" this feature! :cuss: :rolleyes: :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Internet Explorer keeps blitzing this site" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Phyphor
February 27, 2003, 12:22 AM
Click USer CP In the upper right corner, click Edit Options, and scroll down the list until you see "Use 'Email Notification' by default?" Click NO, scroll down, click Submit Modifications

TheBluesMan
February 27, 2003, 09:51 AM
Thanks for jumping in and helping, Phyphor. You are absolutely correct.

Crimper-D - Did that fix your problem?

Crimper-D
February 27, 2003, 10:07 PM
Internet Explorer keeps Blitzing me with "Invalid Page Fault" popups and dumping back into the Internet. Happens about every 3rd time, no ryme or reason:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

FRUSTRATING!:cuss: :fire:

Any suggestions?:confused:

TheBluesMan
February 27, 2003, 10:41 PM
Please answer the following questions and we'll try to help you out a little more.

Type of Machine: PC or Mac
Browser: Internet Exploder (we already know that one)
Browser Version Number: ???
ISP/connection: Dial-up, DSL, Cable, AOL, etc.

Please describe *in detail* what exactly you are doing when this happens.

Thanks,

-Dave

ahadams
February 27, 2003, 10:49 PM
I've been having problems today too - sometimes the site acts like I'm not logged in and it's had some probs seeing specific pages too. I think it's a net thing, not an IE thing. I've been having intermittent probs for several days, but I'm on a remote (40 miles to the internet portal) so dropped bits aren't impossible at this end either.

tyme
March 1, 2003, 05:50 AM
Login failures = password or cookie failures
404, "could not find server," etc. = 'net failure

:)

Hal
March 19, 2003, 07:17 AM
"Invalid Page Fault" - Doesn't refer to the web page you're viewing, it refers to memory being "paged in/paged out" of your virtual memory.
Short explanation:
Memory in a PC or Apple is fixed by the amount of RAM in your machine, and by the amount of virtual memory on your hard drive. The system "borrows" hard drive space to use as system RAM, and pages it in and out.
Think of it this way. Write a sentance on several pieces of notebook paper. Use a long enough sentance, that if you lay the paper out on a kitchen table top, you'll have a dozen or so "pages" left over. Lay the pages out and arrange them from right to left so you can read them. When you get to the last page, take one from your hand and replace the first page with it, and put that page at the bottom of the pile in your hand. Repeat with the second, third,,,etc.
As long as you "keep them in order". nolo problemo. You can do this all day long without any problems.
The problems start, when the "numbered pages" get out of whack. This can happen in several different ways. The pile in your hands is "the stack"(ever see a stack overflow error? -More pages than you can hold in your hand), and are tracekd by the virtual memory manager recieving bad information.
Usual culprit on a PC is a fragmented drive, missing/bad/conflicing .dll files. (a dll is a dynamic link library. It dynamicly links one program to another--best example of dll is the cut/paste, copy/paste function,,,you can "take" information from notepad via copy, and "place it" into a forum post via "paste")<-- very rudimentary and technically incorrect, but you get the idea behind it.

Steps:
1.) Run scandisk on the drive and clear up any crosslinked files. Remember to jot down the names of any files it reports. You may need to reinstall the program to get the complete file back.
2.) Run defrag on the hard drive. Paging only works 100% on a drive that isn't fragmented. Windows fragments terribly,,,other operating systems are more forgiving, but still not immune.
3.) Always keep track of the programs you install, no matter how small or seemingly innocuous. A simple calender program can wreck havoc with the system.
4.) Don't blame Microsoft. Tough to do since it's so popular. Microsoft has very strick guidelines about software compatibility. When in doubt, look at the package of the software you want to run. If it has the "Flying Microsoft Window" on the package, it's been tested and approved by MS to be compatible with other approved software. If the package says "runs on Windows 9X,2000,XP or whatever, then it hasn't been tested. The only stuff that should EVER be installed, is the stuff that has the "Flying Window".(see the next point)
5.) HP Printers--- Almost everybody has an HP printer attached. See the above comments about tested software. HP is the worst offender. Next time you're in a Best Buy, Compusa,,,whatever,,, look at the HP printer boxes. None will have a "flying Window, yet all of the have a huge WinX install CD. Good printers,, crappy software. If I had $5.00 for every problem I "fixed" by uninstalling an HP printer driver over the last 7 years, I could buy a Valtro or a Baer.
6.) Umm,, bad news here. You may need to do a complete reinstall of everything. Sometimes things just get so hosed, there's no going back. I'm fortunate in this respect since when my system becomes too hosed, I just replace it. I can justify it because my system is my bread and butter. Most people can't justify buying a new system every 6 months to 3 years. I', literally looking at 5 systems as I type this. *shrug* Oh well, a PC to me is like a set of tires, or an oil change for some folks.
7.) Goes along with #6-- If a complete reinstall is needed, then take the oppertunity to upgrade the hard drive. If your system is a year old, you can double you hard drive capacity for under $100.
8.) Get rid of the games when you reinstall. Games are the second worst offender right behind HP printers. Actually, they compete for 1 and 2. Home systems are usually where games are at fault, business sytems it's usually the HP printer drivers.

Hal
March 19, 2003, 07:48 AM
-- Disclaimer for point #6 above --

Crimper-D,
I'm to referring to you specifly, or anyone else. I'm not an apologist for Microsoft, nor do I work for them. It's just that I get tired of the ignorami(?) bashing MS, and touting Apple or Linux or some other such nonsense, without knowing everthing that takes place behind the scenes. Usually threads like this will have a couple of "Use a Mac" or "switch to Linux", and your troubles will be over, posts. Fortunatly, this one seems pretty free of those comments so far. I used to see a lot of IE vs Netscape debates too. FWIW, the core of IE and Netscape are the same,,or at least they were back during the IE Netscape "wars". (Both are based on Mosaic).

Sorry to be so long winded and jumping from spot to spot. It's hard to condence 12 years of field work down into a couple of paragraphs ;) (Hey, maybe I should start doing that--be good practice for a resume eh? ;))(Never know when I may be out job hunting)
Bottom line is that there could be any one of a million (literally) things causing the problem. Heck, it could be as simple as reseating the RAM, or adding more RAM to the system.

Sven
March 19, 2003, 11:44 AM
Another tip: ditch Internet EXPLODER and use "Mozilla" instead... available at http://www.download.com for all common platforms. Same engine as Netscape, minus the AOL crud.

Very solid platform. I've never looked back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Internet Explorer keeps blitzing this site" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!