S&W Model 49 Bodyguard

PDA

txcoyote
November 9, 2004, 12:54 PM
Got a chance to buy a S&W model 49 with little usage. Owner asking $250. Any input on experience with this model, performance, or the price is appreciated.
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 49 Bodyguard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
November 9, 2004, 01:45 PM
Greeting's txcoyote my friend-

I've owned several S&W model 49's, in both standard weight and air
weight*; also nickel and blued. They are excellent little guns, mainly
designed for pocket carry. $250 for a 98per center, would not be
a bad price at all.

*FootNote: known as the model 38

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Coltdriver
November 9, 2004, 01:47 PM
I would say that is an excellent price for a little used model. I paid 300 for an airweigh of the same configuration and thought I got a good deal.

CAS700850
November 9, 2004, 04:29 PM
Buy it now. I have a 649. You'll never regret owning it.

Trisha
November 9, 2004, 07:34 PM
My 649 is one of my 'always & everywhere' weapons - and if I had the means (since they're no longer made) I'd buy another. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

MikeB
November 9, 2004, 07:50 PM
I really like mine. The price sounds good.

http://www.bowensguns.com/pics/sw49bodyguard.JPG

isp2605
November 9, 2004, 08:09 PM
Check out this thread on 49s and 649s.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=98353

MrMurphy
November 9, 2004, 09:26 PM
I had a 649-2. Being all steel, it was a bit heavy but doable for pocket carry.

However, it wasn't rated for +P .38s, and finding any good defensive .38 non +P was hard.

shep854
November 9, 2004, 10:10 PM
I have a Mod 49 for my anytime gun. Even though it's all steel, I don't notice the weight in my pocket. .38+P is the carry load, and I practice with standard loads, at 10 yd. Right now, I still have some 125gr Nyclad +P in it, but will reload with Gold Dot 125gr +P when I shoot it next.

Get it; that's a good deal. As long as you give it the practice a snub requires, you can't go wrong.

klover
November 9, 2004, 10:41 PM
:evil: great for primary or backup, and for shooting from within a pocket so you don't need to reveal it if there is some doubt that it's called for. :evil:

tbeb
November 9, 2004, 11:29 PM
$250 is a fair price for one in excellent condition. I bought one to carry in my pants pocket. It was too heavy, so I sold it. I bought a S&W model 37 which was better as it only weighed 12.5 ounces. I sold that and I never should have. Anyhow, I ended up with a 16 ounce revolver which is a nice compromise. A heavy gun is easier to shoot; a lighter gun is easy to carry.

txcoyote
November 10, 2004, 08:03 PM
Based on this feedback, and the fact that it passed the Jim March revolver checkout with flying colors, the little nickel 49 now has a new home. Based on the NRA Condition Standards for Modern Firearms, it is very close to Excellent! Just needs a little cleanup. It only weighs 20.5 ounces, so weight doesn't seem to be an issue. Got to admit the trigger pull seems heavy compared to my 9mm semi-auto.

What's a good practice round to get used to it?

Thanks for all the comments! :D

fastball
November 11, 2004, 10:36 AM
Txcoyote. Have a gray box for nickel Mod 49-0 with unopened tools, the parts and instruction list, all paper work. Good top, thumb size damage to very bottom of box, still solid and nothing missing. Photos on request. Shipped for $15 plus postage. About $3 if your in TX as I am.---That is about the worth of the paperwork and tools.---Tom

saltydog452
November 11, 2004, 11:05 AM
Tx coyote, in my one face to face transaction with fastball, I believe you will find his descriptions accurate and, if he said it, you can depend on it.

salty.

fastball
November 11, 2004, 11:35 AM
Appreciate that, Salty, and will make every effort to live up to it. And kind words back to you also. ---Tom

Diamondback
November 11, 2004, 05:54 PM
You will never regret buying a S&W 49. they are the cat's meow ! Enjoy and keep us posted on your impressions.

-regards

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 49 Bodyguard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!