Whats a Rufus Round?

PDA

Kermit911
November 10, 2004, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure if I'm spelling that right. I remember somthing about them on Gunsamerica. He was selling them for $120.00 each. I was WOW. Any Idea?

Thanx
Kermit911

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats a Rufus Round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sheldon
November 10, 2004, 10:15 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=25043990

I found this on it......"The Multi purpose Raufus round is of
Norwegian developed round that has been licensed to Olin to be
manufactured in this country. It is an armor piercing,incenderary,high
explosive round with a high explosive charge of RDX. It is a very
accurate round. The Navy uses it in their 50 cal sniper rifle and when
we made the rifle for them we were required to test each gun with it."

Kermit911
November 10, 2004, 10:18 AM
Thats really cool, or hot what ever applies. Thanx Sheldon

50 Shooter
November 10, 2004, 10:59 AM
You can find them at the Creek for about $30, check over at www.biggerhammer.net look for the .50 BMG ammo and look for the Mk211 Mod 0 ammo. They have a summary on it.

Kermit911
November 10, 2004, 11:01 AM
Thanx Shooter

30Cal
November 10, 2004, 01:50 PM
It's "Raufoss" and their most likely talking about the Multipurpose (MP) round.

http://www.nammo.com/company/index_raufoss.html
The MP design excludes the use of a mechanical fuze, which has been replaced by a pyrotechnical ignition train providing delayed action in the target, penetration, fragmentation and incendiary effects.
In short, it bursts after penetrating the target's skin.

My uncle works at the Nammo plant in Raufoss, Norway, and we got a short tour plus an hour and a half presentation on the medium caliber (.50cal through 37mm) stuff they make there. It was a pretty cool afternoon.

Ty

Erich
November 10, 2004, 02:28 PM
Now I'm hearing "Tell me something good" in my head. :) (Rufus, featuring Chaka Khan, 1974).

SDC
November 10, 2004, 07:52 PM
In US service (Mk 211 Mod 0), these rounds are marked with a green over silver tip-code, but the earliest (Norwegian) Raufoss rounds are supposed to have a light-blue tip identifier.

12 Volt Man
November 14, 2004, 12:16 AM
I found some of these at the gun show today in 7.62x39 :)

50 Shooter
November 16, 2004, 11:28 AM
You got ripped off, they don't make them that small. There was a guy selling them on GB or AA that said they were Raufoss but to my knowledge they don't make them in smaller calibers.

Someone made a copy or found them from a some kind of supplier but NAMMO never made any from what I heard. They might be incendiary but I doubt they were made by NAMMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats a Rufus Round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!