Ode to Sam Colt - on PBS!

PDA

Andrew Rothman
November 10, 2004, 10:48 AM
I turned on the TV last night, and because the little Paynes watch Sesame Street, the TV was on PBS. A show called "They Made America" was on -- featuring good ol' Sam Colt.

Here's a blurb about the show:
More about They Made America

You may not know their names; you may not know their stories -- but they made America.

American history is filled with the stories of influential innovators, whose ideas and entrepreneurial spirit gave birth to commercial milestones like the steamboat and cultural touchstones like the Barbie doll. Twelve of these individuals are profiled in They Made America, a four-part television series from the producers of American Experience.

The segment about Colt ran about 15 minutes, with lots of great pictures and video of actual firing of the 1830s-era revolvers.

Here's their blurb about Colt.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/theymadeamerica/whomade/colt_lo.html

I particularly liked this part:
In the time it took to ram a charge and a lead ball down the barrel of a single shot rifle, Comanche Indians could shoot six arrows or run 150 yards with spear and tomahawk.
Talk about your Tueller drill!

Anyway, this episode in the four-part series is called "The Revolutionaries," and at least in my town, it's showing again on Sunday. Check your local listings here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/theymadeamerica/search/schedule.html

I have it on my DVR, but I am video-capture-challenged at the moment. If you want it really, really badly, send me a PM.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ode to Sam Colt - on PBS!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jalexander
November 10, 2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Hope the little Paynes didn't mind the absence of Sesame Street too much.

James

If you enjoyed reading about "Ode to Sam Colt - on PBS!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!