Simple question about the 35 Whelen.

PDA

cobb
November 10, 2004, 06:12 PM
How do you pronounce Whelen ?

I thought it was pronounced like "well-an", but was told by a gun shop owner it was pronounced as "whale-an".

I am looking at a 1988 Remington 700 tomorrow and will most likely get it if it is in the condition as described to me and would like to at least say the name correctly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Simple question about the 35 Whelen." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kudu
November 10, 2004, 06:53 PM
Around here we pronounce it "we len"

critter
November 10, 2004, 07:54 PM
GET ONE! They are a really fine caliber. Easy to load, very versatile, a 'non magnum' magnum.

Jim K
November 10, 2004, 08:34 PM
AFAIK, it's Whay'-len. The /35 Whelen is a good cartridge but sometimes given to headspace problems.

Jim

cobb
November 10, 2004, 08:48 PM
sometimes given to headspace problems.

Jim

I have heard that this isn't really true, and if it was, it was earlier non standard/wildcats that had the problems because their standard chamber dimensions varied.

Has anybody heard of a problem with the 1988 production run by Remington?

BigG
November 10, 2004, 09:17 PM
Us rednecks pronounce it wheelin'. ;) The one I heard had headspace probs was the .400 Whelen which was darn near a straight case but headspaced on the ultra slim shoulder. Since the 35 is a factory ctg now and in a factory Rem chamber should be no prob. Also, for you trivia buffs, the only ctg TW actually designed was the .400 the 35 was named in his honor by somebody else. JMTC

cobb
November 10, 2004, 10:53 PM
Also, for you trivia buffs, the only ctg TW actually designed was the .400 the 35 was named in his honor by somebody else. JMTC
It was named by James V. Howe.

Since I was considering getting one, I could help but to do several searches on the internet and run across that fact. :)

Life is good. :cool:

BigG
November 11, 2004, 12:02 AM
Cobb: You ain't bought it yet? :p

cobb
November 11, 2004, 04:06 PM
Picked it up today and also got a 3X9 Leupold Vari-X II new in the box from him also.

Paid less for scope and rifle than a local chain sporting goods store wanted for the rifle alone.

Now to get some dies and load info.

If you enjoyed reading about "Simple question about the 35 Whelen." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!