What goes up...

PDA

KAR120C
November 12, 2004, 10:50 AM
Turned on the radio this morning and heard multiple sustained full auto weapons fire. Assumed it was the news about the latest action in Iraq. I was half right. It was the news covering Arafat's funeral. Apparently the gunfire was intended to be celebretory/ceremonial. In fact it was (is) retarded. I have less than no respect for any culture that engages in this brain dead behavior. What are the odds that somebody catches one of these rounds in the head, after gravity works its magic? And what are the odds that any news service (especially al Jazirra SP?) would report any injuries should they occur?

If you enjoyed reading about "What goes up..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
psyopspec
November 12, 2004, 11:11 AM
What are the odds that somebody catches one of these rounds in the head, after gravity works its magic?

Pretty decent. Happend at least once every other month during my time there.

shermacman
November 12, 2004, 11:11 AM
Looks a little different than the way we saluted Ronald Reagan's funeral procession.

George S.
November 12, 2004, 11:25 AM
Just about any sort of event in the Middle East seems to have some film or video of people firing weapons into the air and it's usually AK's on full auto. You can bet they don't run out and buy blanks just for marches, protests or somebody's birthday/funeral.

The events we see on the news cleary show that terrorists and sympathizers have absolutely no respect for human life. What goes up does come down. You can bet that if these actions result in loss of life a number of blocks away, there will be no news about it or if there is, the US would get blamed.

It's too bad that innocent people may die because of stupidity like this. The only way to stop this s*** is to release the Marines to clean the whole mess up. Once and for all.

CannibalCrowley
November 12, 2004, 11:35 AM
Apparently the gunfire was intended to be celebretory/ceremonial. In fact it was (is) retarded. I have less than no respect for any culture that engages in this brain dead behavior.Does that include the US as well?

KAR120C
November 12, 2004, 11:47 AM
Yes, I'd include the US if they practiced this stupid behavior. From what I know the US (as a whole) doesn't. There are only isolated communities that carry out this stupidity (typically on New Years in the US). It is stupid, and criminal. It should be stamped out. I think the vast majority of those in the US believe this. Apparently this is not true in some other countries/cultures.

By the way, love your quote/signature? line. Hadn't heard that one before, but as a hard core agnostic I can appreciate it.

Stand_Watie
November 12, 2004, 12:06 PM
Does that include the US as well?

Ahhh memories...Tejano music and celebratory gunfire - a Pleasant Grove, Texas Saturday night :D

Seriously though, it's my understanding that in the 19th century American western frontier it was very much a part of the culture.

KAR120C
November 12, 2004, 01:44 PM
Yes, and in the 19th century the US practiced slavery. So what's your point? I'm talking about cultures of the Earth today. And though it be politically uncorrect I'm going to go out on a limb here and assert that any culture that avoids this behavior (the US, Switzerland, Finland, etc...) is superior (at least in this one specific area) to those that embrace this behavior.

psyopspec
November 12, 2004, 02:02 PM
Apparently the gunfire was intended to be celebretory/ceremonial. In fact it was (is) retarded. I have less than no respect for any culture that engages in this brain dead behavior.

Somehow missed that part in my origional read. The US does engage in several forms of it's own brain dead behavior, we kill ourselves a little bit more each day with a little McDonald's here, a Malboro there, and a heavy dose of TV everyday. We're fat, lazy, and selfish. I'm not saying it doesn't feel good, but I fail to see the superiority.

The events we see on the news cleary show that terrorists and sympathizers have absolutely no respect for human life. What goes up does come down.

I may have been mistaken, but I always thought the terrorists were the ones shooting at me rather than over me. Not all the guys who celebrate or mourn by shooting into the air are terrorists, just as not all Americans are fat, lazy and selfish.

HankB
November 12, 2004, 02:08 PM
You know, whenever I see these crowds of extremists in the Middle East waving AKs around, I get to thinking . . . what if a helicopter - heck, make it a drone helicopter - were to fly over just a couple of hundred feet up, with either the Stars and Stripes or a Star of David emblazoned on the side?

I suspect it wouldn't be long before it started taking heavy fire, and might even be shot down.

If, ten or fifteen seconds later, a couple of flights of F-16s were to drop a good mix of cluster bombs and napalm on the crowds the gunfire came from, quite a fair number of bad guys would be headed for their 72 virgins.

And it would be self defense - return fire, if you will.

Just a thought . . . :evil:

PMDW
November 12, 2004, 03:54 PM
I remember hearing a story about an AC130 flying over a wedding celebration one night in Afghanistan. The people on the ground decided to shoot randomly into the air,not knowing (or maybe not caring) that the plane was there. The plane's crew thought they were being shot at, and leveled the wedding party.

Good stuff.

Black Snowman
November 12, 2004, 05:04 PM
falling straight down
What's the terminal velocity of a 147 gr FMJ falling backwards? I bet it could do a little more than poke out an eye. Nails and other debris were dropped on troops in WWI from high flying scout planes. Not terribly effective but made sure that many more people took cover than pot-shots.

Plus, they frequently aren't shooting sraight up and a signifigant ammount of the inital energy is still retained as the round decends. The actual deaths reported during major holidays in these regions is proof that they're dangerous.

Standing Wolf
November 12, 2004, 09:21 PM
Does that include the US as well?

Absolutely. Stupid and irresponsible know no borders.

If you enjoyed reading about "What goes up..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!