Cover that J-frame trigger

PDA

KAR120C
November 12, 2004, 03:57 PM
I've got a J-frame but only one holster to carry it in. It is an Uncle Mikes pocket holster, that slides over the barrel and most of the cylinder, but does not cover the trigger at all. While carrying in a windbreaker recently my hand bumped into the gun while it was in my pocket. Since the jacket fabric is so light weight I started thinking that it wouldn't be impossible to accidentally manipulate the trigger through the cloth of the jacket.

Thoughts on the chances of this?

Can anyone recommend a pocket holster that covers the trigger?

Thank You

If you enjoyed reading about "Cover that J-frame trigger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Atticus
November 12, 2004, 04:03 PM
Mika Holsters- inexpensive and work well.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

He's a great guy to deal with as well. I don't think I've ever told this story here...so here goes. I sent Robert an email with a couple of questions, and I asked if I could pay with a MO. He called me on the phone and left a voice mail saying that was fine, but his cell phone cut out before he could finish. We played phone tag a couple of times ...and he finally caught me at home at 8pm or so. I told him I couldn't decide whether to order a square or round bottom holster. He told me not to worry...he would send both out tomorrow and I could pay him when I got a chance. He also told me if I didn't like them, not to send any money and give them to someone else. I mailed a MO that night. He was true to his word.... I had the holsters in hand in about three days. I ended up keeping the square bottom and selling the other. All that for two very inexpensive holsters. He's a rarity these days. And the holsters work great!!

Steven1281
November 12, 2004, 08:44 PM
Part of the job of a holster is to cover the trigger to prevent a mishap in my opinion. You also don't want anything else in that pocket such as keys or a knife. I personally wouldn't want a holster which doesn't cover the trigger, but in a DA j-frame it takes a pretty significant amount of force to cycle things. Plus, the trigger has to be continuously held back in order for the firing pin to do it's job in most modern DA revolvers. Transfer bar safety system. My j-frame 637 .38 is my always gun, partly because it has very reliable safety features such as that. They don't hamper performance, but are just there when they are needed.

Standing Wolf
November 12, 2004, 08:45 PM
Thoughts on the chances of this?

Unless you grapple with criminals for a living, I'd have to figure the odds would be infinitesimally small.

JohnKSa
November 12, 2004, 10:24 PM
A pocket holster that allows the gun to be fired while holstered may be illegal.

joab
November 12, 2004, 10:36 PM
A pocket holster that allows the gun to be fired while holstered may be illegal Any holster or holstering system that allows the gun to be fired while the gun is in it is illegal. That's what the Seminole County Sherrif told me.

Nick96
November 12, 2004, 11:15 PM
I agree with Atticus. I ordered one of Mika's pocket holsters and have been very satisfied with it. About the same price as the Unkle Mike's, but much better materails & design. I ordered over the internet and it showed up in my mailbox in about 5 days. I'd highly recommend them.

BTW, if you read Mr. Mika's history, you will find he was an LEO at one time and came up with the design to fill the need he & fellow officers had for a quality, reliable pocket holster that really works.

Erich
November 13, 2004, 08:55 AM
Joab, that might be true in Seminole County (?), but Tom Threepersons would have been shocked to hear it. :)

DMK
November 13, 2004, 09:31 AM
I use a Desantis pocket holster for my 642 J-frame. When I got it, I felt that the gun didn't fit into it as far as I'd like.

The solution was simple: I took a razor blade and carefuly cut some of the stitching inside the holster to allow the gun to fit deeper into it. A few drops of superglue at the ends of the stitching where you cut it, will prevent the threads from dulling out any more.

The gun is now completely enclosed except for about 2/3 of the grip sticking out.

KAR120C
November 15, 2004, 09:52 AM
I'm in Minnesota, and I've never heard of a holster you can fire from being illegal. As far as I know it is legal to carry the gun in your pocket without a holster at all, not a good idea, but not illegal either.

I definitely make sure to never carry anything else in that pocket except for the gun. I know the odds of accidentally pulling the trigger are low, but I don't think I'd say they were infinitesimal. The Mika holster looks like just what I need. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to order one.

Citadel99
November 15, 2004, 10:20 AM
Just ordered Mika's holsters for my 642. Can't wait.

Mark

MikeB
November 15, 2004, 11:12 AM
A couple things I noticed in this thread.

As for the handgun being able to be fired while in the holster. This is a BATF deal, they consider some of these holsters to be an AOW. It has more to do with if it alters the look of the firearm, than whether it can be fired from within the holster. I'm not sure about the holster in question, but that is where the issue comes from.

I use a Kramer pocket holster with my J-frames. In addition to covering the trigger this holster grips the cylinder pretty tight. I really doubt something could exert enough force on the trigger to rotate the cylinder, never mind just operating the hammer. I would think this might be the case for most types of "hard" pocket holsters. I still don't carry other things in the same pocket though.

Erich
November 15, 2004, 11:27 AM
Oh.

Now I get what Joab was saying. Yup. Forget my previous post. I'm a doofus who didn't understand what Joab was talking about.

carpettbaggerr
November 15, 2004, 12:21 PM
No, you read Joab's post right. The Sheriff told him a Threepersons holster is illegal. Sheriff's wrong,[or the've got some very strange laws in Seminole County] but that's what he said.

joab
November 15, 2004, 05:21 PM
Can you properly fire a gun that is properly in a Threepersons holster? Not unless you're name is Barney and the target is your toe.

Think about those wallet holsters that allow you to fire the gun while it is contained in the holster, or Chucks double Mac 10 shoulder rig in Invasion U.S.A. .
Or a shotgun sling that acts as a shoulder holster where you can simply raise the gun and fire without removing it from that holstering system. (You can thank Clyde Barrow for that restriction along with the short barreled rifle and overall length restrictions)

The comment was made in response to someone comment about it being illegal to have a holster that you can fire from not ND/AD from

Erich
November 16, 2004, 10:37 AM
Right. I pulled out the federal laws before I went to work this a.m. to see if I could find the section that makes wallet holsters destructive devices, but I didn't have time to find it before I left.

Tamara
November 16, 2004, 10:58 AM
I've got a J-frame but only one holster to carry it in. It is an Uncle Mikes pocket holster, that slides over the barrel and most of the cylinder, but does not cover the trigger at all.

You have the wrong size UM pocket holster, then. A size 3 covers the trigger. :)

Trisha
November 16, 2004, 11:17 AM
Pocket shmocket - a purse works better IMHO. . .

:neener:

Erich
November 16, 2004, 01:49 PM
That's what I keep saying, but I can't find one to match my shoes! :p

carpettbaggerr
November 16, 2004, 02:39 PM
Or a shotgun sling that acts as a shoulder holster where you can simply raise the gun and fire without removing it from that holstering system. (You can thank Clyde Barrow for that restriction along with the short barreled rifle and overall length restrictions) Those aren't illegal. They aren't covered by the NFA of 1934, and in fact you can purchase them here (http://www.stellarrigs.com/Stellar_Shotgun_Rig.html) .

The BATF has ruled that Jackass wallet holsters make your gun into an AOW, because the gun no longer looks like a gun, and you can't hold it by the grip.
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter18.txt

joab
November 16, 2004, 06:27 PM
Notice that the shotgun must be removed from the holstering system to be deployed.
The gun cannot simply be whipped up and fired.
That would be a whippet and is not allowed

According to the sheriff (Gotta add my disclaimer )

carpettbaggerr
November 16, 2004, 06:29 PM
http://www.stellarrigs.com/images/holsters/shotgunbuckle.e.jpg

Maxer51tx
November 21, 2004, 03:32 PM
What Tamara said. Uncle Mike's come in various sizes. Size 3 covers the J frame trigger.

JohnKSa
November 21, 2004, 04:46 PM
Key words--> "pocket holster".

The idea is that if the gun is disguised by the holster but the gun can still be pointed and fired while holstered it can fall under the same restrictions that make pen guns and other disguised firearms illegal/restricted.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cover that J-frame trigger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!