Attack of the Killer Deer!

PDA

Dave P
February 27, 2003, 12:34 PM
Pet Deer Kills Man
Grandson Discovers Body, Shoots Deer
Posted: 10:29 a.m. EST February 27, 2003

GILBERTOWN, Ala. -- An elderly man was killed Monday when his pet deer attacked him.
The nine-point buck gored and mauled 79-year-old Donald Sellers while Sellers was working on a fence on his property Monday in the Chapel Hill community, according to Choctaw County Sheriff Don Lolley.

Sellers had raised the deer since it was a fawn and the sheriff says it often became aggressive during the rutting and mating season. He believes that might have prompted the attack.

A grandson discovered the body, then shot and killed the deer when it acted aggressively toward him.

If you enjoyed reading about "Attack of the Killer Deer!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chipperman
February 27, 2003, 12:46 PM
:(

TallPine
February 27, 2003, 12:48 PM
Wild animals are best left to be wild ...

mrsMTN
February 27, 2003, 01:06 PM
Aggressive in the rutting season I can understand, but February? Is it different in the south?

COHIBA
February 27, 2003, 01:11 PM
deer in the wetlands of FL rut during a time of year that will coincide the birth w/ the dry season. for obvious reasons.
glug glug glug, bye bye bambi.

Poodleshooter
February 27, 2003, 02:37 PM
I believe that deer are still the number one mankillers amongst the animal kingdom, aren't they? Right up there with dogs...

Carlos Cabeza
February 27, 2003, 04:22 PM
When I lived in KC, KS. there was a stretch of highway that was known for having the most deer/vehicle collisions in the country. Many people were killed or injured from the accidents. And all along I thought deer were docile, timid creatures....:confused:

George Hill
February 27, 2003, 04:33 PM
That sucks. That is no way to check out. Being gored to death by your pet.
But since it isnt a carnivore I guess it beats out the postmordem feeding that often happens to old people with small dogs.

Chipperman
February 27, 2003, 05:27 PM
"I believe that deer are still the number one mankillers amongst the animal kingdom, aren't they? Right up there with dogs..."

I think Crocs, Hippos, and Venomous snakes have them beat.

keyhole
February 27, 2003, 06:34 PM
Lotsa peoples hurt when the critters, ( deer) come thru windshield in an accident. I have worked several, where they were lucky, as part of the vehicle stopped the critter from coming into the car. Still have to agree about dogs, and such,,,,,,,,,,,,

Rembrandt
February 27, 2003, 08:14 PM
If someone could post a picture for me, I'll email you a photo of a killer werewolf deer.....photos don't lie.

4v50 Gary
February 27, 2003, 08:40 PM
When I was in Tibet I asked my guide for the symbolic value of the deers that were displayed on the roof of one temple. She told me that the deer is the gentlest creature and would not harm another creature. Well, guess you can tell the Tibetans have never seen those gentle woodland creatures fighting or in this case, goring gramps to death. Gramps deserved better.

redneck
February 27, 2003, 09:42 PM
Thats a shame. Least the son had the sense to shoot it. Terrible situation could have turned out worse if they let it go.

Crimper-D
February 27, 2003, 11:05 PM
The Does are a definate menace if they are protecting their fawns.
I was a witness to the aftermath of an encounter between a lady jogger and her small terrier out for a jaunt down one of the firetrails on my hill... from the paramedics that hauled her batterd and bleeding to the hospital, the story was that she and the dog were jumped and severely stomped by a _Very_ angry and agressive Mamma Blacktale doe. "Cut, bleeding, dazed and hysterical bout sez it all - her dog too. :(
Then too, I had a buddy get gored by a large buck that collided with him, his wife and their Harley!:what: Both of them woung up in the hospital, himself with an antler tine through his shoulder and her with a dislocated hip and shoulder. The bike was totaled and the buck was instant roadkill:barf:
You'd think that a critter with ears that big would be able to hear a Harley coming:confused:

PATH
February 27, 2003, 11:11 PM
I feell very sorry for the old fella. Deer however make for a fine meal and should not be kept as pets.

Triad
February 27, 2003, 11:13 PM
Would this have happened if the animal had been neutered? As for the number one mankiller, I think that would be disease carrying insects.

rick458
February 27, 2003, 11:20 PM
My Buddy in the Corps had his 1976 Eldorado Charged and hit in the door by a large buck if a buck will put the horns to a 5500 lb
plus car they will gig you if they are so inclined

Robby from Long Island
February 27, 2003, 11:58 PM
Guess that's why they're called wildlife..........

Safe shooting.

CZ-75
February 28, 2003, 12:24 AM
When I lived in KC, KS. there was a stretch of highway that was known for having the most deer/vehicle collisions in the country.

And the bambi-lovers there were getting mad b/c bowhunters were taking deer within city limits. Rather have'em come through the windshield, I guess. Nature, up close and personal; too personal and too close. :rolleyes:

45King
February 28, 2003, 08:45 AM
Just a few days ago, I saw a bit of a show called What Were You Thinking? The bit I saw highlighted a fellow who wanted to be filmed being attacked by an elk!! (DUH!) He doused himself in elk urine, and then tried calling up an elk. He did get some elk responses, but what showed up and attacked him was a muley buck, and it definitely attacked him.
I would not want to be on the receiving end of those hooves!

Never trust a wild animal...that's why they call them "wild."

Preacherman
February 28, 2003, 08:56 AM
Some years ago in South Africa a game warden was killed by a duiker - a small antelope, about the size of a Labrador retriever, or a bit smaller. She had young, and as the warden approached to check on them, she charged and gored him in the thigh, severing the major blood vessels there. He bled to death on the scene. The duiker was left in peace - nature conservation decided she was simply doing her maternal thing, and was not to be blamed.

seeker_two
February 28, 2003, 09:41 AM
Like Mom said....Don't play w/ your food...:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Attack of the Killer Deer!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!