The County that I Live in; Ranked Highest Per Capita Gun Owners in the State.

PDA

kudu
November 15, 2004, 06:20 PM
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/10127554.htm For the entire story.

In 2003, the percentage of households with a firearm either in or around the home in Whitley County was 56.3 percent, up from 54.4 percent in 2001, according to Parkview statistics. In Noble County, the figures were 48.9 percent last year compared to 58.4 percent in 2001. For Huntington County, the numbers were 40.8 percent in 2003, down more than 15 percentage points from 56.4 percent in 2001.

All three were above the U.S. average, 31.6 percent.

Looks like my part of the country is doing good. ;) :D

It is ironic that I know few people that just go shooting for fun or for competition in my neck of the woods. :( Most just take their guns out a couple times a year for hunting and whatnot.

If you enjoyed reading about "The County that I Live in; Ranked Highest Per Capita Gun Owners in the State." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
November 15, 2004, 07:51 PM
The national average is only 31.6%? What a bunch of slackers!

Vern Humphrey
November 15, 2004, 07:58 PM
The national average is only 31.6%? What a bunch of slackers!

My county, Stone County, Arkansas, is probably right up there in this state --and, in all modesty, I do my best to help the statistics -- but we're not going to make things easy for gun-grabbers by giving them an accurate count. :p

kudu
November 15, 2004, 08:29 PM
I'm not quite sure how they figure who has what, but I believe most is from the State Police records of Concealed Carry and Handgun Hunting permits issued per capita of population of each county.

Supposedly there is no record kept at police and sherrif's depts. of gun purchases by law. :scrutiny:

In another article I read earlier this year it said 1 in 15 Hoosiers have a handgun permit, thats not counting rifles and shotguns or people that just own a handgun and keep it on their own property. :D How many states can claim that?

Matt G
November 15, 2004, 08:52 PM
What is this "Gun Permit" that they speak of? :confused: :scrutiny:

;)

kudu
November 15, 2004, 09:16 PM
What is this "Gun Permit" that they speak of? :confused: :scrutiny:

;)

Anyone may purchase a handgun in Indiana unless a felon or otherwise restricted from purchasing firearms, but to carry a handgun one must have a Personal Protection Permit, which will allow open carry or concealled carry, or have a Hunting and Target Permit which allows transportation of an unloaded handgun to and from hunting and range areas open carry only.

Indiana charges $10 for the loacal sherrif's dept. or police dept. to file the paperwork and then the applicant must send the request to the State Police and add $15 for a Hunting permit or $25 for a concealed carry permit. The money goes to the State of Indiana, not the State Police. Good for 4 years. Pretty reasonable considering some states won't allow hardly anything. It also cuts down on some of the BS when buying a gun. Turn around time for a permit to go through is 3-8 weeks. I just renewed and had my new card back in 3 weeks. :)

No restrictions on long guns except for felons, etc. Indiana is a very gun friendly state except around Gary and the Chicago corner.

ALS
November 15, 2004, 09:24 PM
I can't believe how few permits there are. Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) has issued over 30,000 CCW permits for 1.1 million residents. In the last two years women have been issued more permits than men. :D

Sven
November 15, 2004, 10:21 PM
I try to make up for my neighbors here.

El Tejon
November 15, 2004, 10:37 PM
Matt G., young kudu means "license to carry a handgun", a.k.a. "the little pink card."

Now, y'all tell me, what is this "training class" and outrageous license fee that you speak of. :neener: :scrutiny:

Kudu, the Indy Star had an article on our pistol packing rates a while back. Seems we are second only to New York. Just don't stand there! Convert someone and get us up over New York. :D

Buck Snort
November 16, 2004, 12:39 AM
Kudu, do you know how the crime rate in your county compares to others in your state?

kudu
November 16, 2004, 04:50 AM
I don't have any stats ob crime rates around here, but our county has few erports of bookings in the local paper, considering we are next to Allen county (Ft. Wayne).

We have the occasional break-in or robbery, or crystal-meth lab found. Usually people from Allen county are caught doing it. I don't ever recall hearing about any shootings in recent memory of law-abiding citizens in the last few years. There has been a couple of murders, but none this last year that I am aware of.

If you enjoyed reading about "The County that I Live in; Ranked Highest Per Capita Gun Owners in the State." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!