Will standing a rifle on it's muzzle crown hurt it?

PDA

BigBlueEyedDevil
November 15, 2004, 09:12 PM
I was at the local gun store purchasing a Savage 10FP .308. We were trying to figure out how to pull the bolt out(it was being tricky) and the guy leaned the gun on it's muzzle on the carpet and tried it. I didn't want to say anything but I was wincing on the inside. Did this guy do any damage to my rifle? I looked at the muzzle crown after and it looked normal to me. Please advise.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will standing a rifle on it's muzzle crown hurt it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CentralTexas
November 15, 2004, 09:16 PM
Nope don't worry about it it's fine. Good rifle choice -I've had two of them.
CT

gaston_45
November 15, 2004, 09:17 PM
On carpet it won't hurt a bit. Anything softer then the steel of the barrel is safe to do this with. I would not suggest doing the same on concrete however.

kudu
November 15, 2004, 09:19 PM
The only thing you need to look out for is anything hard enough to damage where the rifleing starts at the crown. This is why most target guns have a recessed crown on the muzzle, it helps protect the vital rifleing at point of bullet egress.

BigBlueEyedDevil
November 15, 2004, 09:48 PM
Many thanks guys!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Will standing a rifle on it's muzzle crown hurt it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!