NEW LARGER Favorite WWII rifle poll!

PDA

The Grand Inquisitor
November 15, 2004, 08:54 PM
The Garand won about 10 to 1 in the shorter poll and everyone wanted a larger selection, so here you go.....

If you enjoyed reading about "NEW LARGER Favorite WWII rifle poll!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
First Person Shooter
November 15, 2004, 09:10 PM
Nice poll :p

I vote for the Ljungman. I had a Hakim,it rocked! I actually would much rather shoot that than my Garand.

Brick
November 15, 2004, 09:32 PM
:mad:

You wouldn't let us vote for more than one.

Of course, somebody always has to complain. :uhoh:

The Grand Inquisitor
November 15, 2004, 10:05 PM
On my experiances as a shooter I love my Garand, but if my experiances with the game Call of Duty* mean anything, the FG 42 wins the cool award.

* Call of Duty is a fantastic WWII shooter for the PC. It does a very good job of recreating some of the weapons of the era and when you shoulder the rifle you actually get a good recreation of that weapons iron sights/optics. You get to play the American, British, and Russian sides throughout the whole game. Good fun I say.

White Horseradish
November 15, 2004, 10:08 PM
Oh, for cryin out loud...

SMGs are not rifles, and you are missing the SVT which is a rifle, and an awesome one at that.

Onmilo
November 15, 2004, 10:18 PM
I'm still going with the Garand.

rbernie
November 15, 2004, 10:28 PM
Enfield.

Bridger
November 15, 2004, 10:56 PM
I'll stick with the Garand too. MG42 isn't a rifle! heh, but I don't have any experience with those exotics, though the strumgewehr and the FG42 intrigue me and are certainly important, I still say Garand!

Sistema1927
November 15, 2004, 11:13 PM
Once again, the Garand.

Cortland
November 15, 2004, 11:17 PM
Oh you people have got to be nuts. I'm the ONLY person to vote M1 Carbine thus far!? :confused:

hso
November 15, 2004, 11:49 PM
Cortland, nope I picked the M1 carbine as well. Fun to shoot, handy, cheap ammo and the only weapon that IBM ever made (I think). :D

I've got many of the rifles listed and still like my little War Baby the best.

Dienekes
November 16, 2004, 12:47 AM
Somehow I don't think that PPSHs and Garands are in the same category...

Of course you could expand the selection to extend from the Liberator pistol to the German 88...

Gordon
November 16, 2004, 01:53 AM
I think FG 42's are the most advanced and intriguing rifle of WW2! Like the Flying Wing! ;)

chevrofreak
November 16, 2004, 02:34 AM
The FG42 is one bad mofo.

wasrjoe
November 16, 2004, 02:41 AM
While I would love an FG42, and the Garand was "the greatest battle implement ever devised", I had to vote for the lowly Mosin Nagant. Just love that little rifle.

TK73
November 16, 2004, 03:26 AM
During WWII, the Swedish Army and armed civilians stood ready to defend its borders and homeland against the Germans and Russians with their great Swedish Mauser M1896, M96/38, M38, all chambered for the great 6,5x55 mm round. All shoot beautiful and that's what I'd take afield. :neener:

cracked butt
November 16, 2004, 08:21 AM
Garand again.

No Italian weapons?

I think even the Germans prefered the Beretta 1938A when they could get their hands on them.

MrMurphy
November 16, 2004, 09:46 AM
For full blown battle rifles: M1 Garand, and Lee-Enfield.

For the assault rifle/SMG role, the MP44/Stg45 (I've actually handled one....sweet rifle).

Pebcac
November 16, 2004, 11:46 AM
I'm going with the M1 Carbine. I have one, and it is my sentimental favorite. Tons of fun to shoot, too. :)

BigG
November 16, 2004, 11:57 AM
M1 still does my talking, pilgrim. /john wayne :p

Dr.Rob
November 16, 2004, 03:35 PM
BAR

No other full auto I've played with is as much fun. Also was in service in the US from 1918-the 60's in Vietnam, that's a long colorful service record.

Heavy Barrel
November 16, 2004, 06:00 PM
You forgot the FAL and if things would have went farther you wouldn't have the Garand.

30Cal
November 16, 2004, 07:40 PM
During WWII, the Swedish Army and armed civilians stood ready to defend its borders and homeland against the Germans and Russians with their great Swedish Mauser M1896, M96/38, M38, all chambered for the great 6,5x55 mm round. All shoot beautiful and that's what I'd take afield. :neener:

For a long time after WWII when when the German occupation was over, if someone in Norway missed an event or just never showed up they would say "He's made a Swede of himself." :neener:

I still like the M1.

Ty

First Person Shooter
November 16, 2004, 09:37 PM
You forgot the FAL and if things would have went farther you wouldn't have the Garand.
The FAL wasn't around till the 50's. WW2 ended in 1945.

threefeathers
November 16, 2004, 11:15 PM
Today I voted for the M-1 carbine. I have 5 of them but I have most of the others also. Tomorrow it could by my Garand, and the next day my #5 Jungle Carbine. Actually maybe my accurized Swede with a Burris 3X9. Hmmmmm. :cool:

greyhound
November 17, 2004, 12:08 AM
I WANT a M1 Garand, but with the hoops (CMP approved membership in a club(which I meet) , Danish/Greek returns, etc) the ease of a Mosin Nagant at $100 is much better.

Now what I REALLY want is a original USA ( not sold to Greece or such then returned or whatever) 1903 Springfield.

I'll keep looking - back in "gun culture is evil" Maryland M1s restored sold for $1000+, might be different here in Alabama.

I support 100% the CMP and their mission! But for me, I dont want a Danish or Greek return M1 Garand, I want a WWII USA rifle.

Since I can't get that, and being a history buff, I'll take a MN...

Tom C.
November 17, 2004, 07:55 AM
My pick is still the rifle that won the war, the M-1 Garand. That said, some very inovative weapons came out of Germany that set the standard for the next 50 years. The MG-42 machine gun and the STG-44 which set the standard for assault rifles.

Mac Attack
November 17, 2004, 10:51 AM
I was torn between the M1 Garand and the Thompson SMG both of which are my favorite WWII era firearm. In the end I voted with my heart and chose the M1.

Mac

Bridger
November 17, 2004, 11:13 AM
I WANT a M1 Garand, but with the hoops (CMP approved membership in a club(which I meet) , Danish/Greek returns, etc) the ease of a Mosin Nagant at $100 is much better.

Now what I REALLY want is a original USA ( not sold to Greece or such then returned or whatever) 1903 Springfield.

I'll keep looking - back in "gun culture is evil" Maryland M1s restored sold for $1000+, might be different here in Alabama.

I support 100% the CMP and their mission! But for me, I dont want a Danish or Greek return M1 Garand, I want a WWII USA rifle.

What do you mean? It was my understanding that the U.S. Rack and Service grade rifles at 400 and 500 dollars each are not greek or Danish returns. Those are sold at lower prices in the same grades.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

MAUSER88
November 17, 2004, 11:30 AM
One I'll never be able to own, MP40.

30Cal
November 17, 2004, 12:52 PM

I'm not sure where the hassle is. When you order a rifle from the CMP, you have to include the NLU#. USGI ISSUE, DANISH ISSUE and GREEK ISSUE all have different NLU#s. You pick which one you want and they send it to you. You won't get a Danish or Greek rifle unless you ask for one.

The '03s and '03A3s are all from Greece.
Ty

Barry in IN
November 17, 2004, 05:17 PM
I voted Garand.
It helped make the fire and maneuver concept work, and that made our fast and flexible doctrine succeed.

The fire and maneuver concept, the amount of supplies, and the sheer numbers of trucks and their drivers that kept the supplies delivered, won the war.
IMHO, of course.

The Grand Inquisitor
November 18, 2004, 01:18 AM
I'm amazed that the BAR has scored as highly as it has thus far.

Also, it seems that no one loves the 1903A3 or the Arisaka.

Bonzai!

hubel458
November 18, 2004, 01:37 AM
None of above- 55 cal Boyes for me..Ed

Cortland
November 18, 2004, 02:08 AM
Also, it seems that no one loves the ... Arisaka.
Yeah, well, I have an Arisaka. "Love" would be a bit too strong of a word for it. It's a nice enough rifle -- accurate, very strong, and ... well, that's about all you can say. 90 degree bolt handles, funky monopods, grungy looking hardware, nasty shellac-type finish, awkward safety, child-size length of pull, stocks made from more than one piece of wood, etc. etc. :barf:

My grandfather picked up my Arisaka on Okinawa during WWII. So while I have a great attachment to my particular Arisaka, I can't imagine anyone saying that the Arisaka in general is their favorite rifle. Although anti-aircraft sights on a rifle are rather fun (in a kooky sort of way).

Regarding the 03A3, I'm a bit surprised by that, as well. I guess everyone who has an 03 probably also has a Garand and well, the Garand is cooler.

If you enjoyed reading about "NEW LARGER Favorite WWII rifle poll!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!