No.4 Mk.1 Enfield sight options

PDA

SilentScream
November 16, 2004, 01:55 AM
i have a many bolt action battle rifles, from mausers to mosins to '03 springfields.
I shoot them all pretty well except my enfield, as most of you know these enfields have what amounts to a ghost ring sight set up.
i don't mind the large apperture, but i do mind the very thin/narrow front sight post, my question is, is there any aftermarket or surplus posts for these rifles that are larger in diameter?
i just can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn to save my life.
Any suggestions are most welcome.
thanks,
-Jesse

If you enjoyed reading about "No.4 Mk.1 Enfield sight options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nemesis
November 16, 2004, 05:40 PM
It sounds like you may have a rifle with the Mk II flip aperture sight. Two apertures with no elevation adjustments. Changing to a Mk I or Mk III sight with the click adjustable elevation may provide the better aperture that you need. They are commonly available from a number of sources, are not expensive and can even be found on eBay.

http://i22.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/57/eb/fc_1.JPG

Mk VII
November 16, 2004, 08:42 PM
the government blade was 51 thou wide; wider ones were available from commercial suppliers, up to 100 thou. I doubt that are still obtainable.

swingset
November 17, 2004, 04:10 AM
There is one option you might try, making your own.

Go to a hobby store, and find some brass tubing, small sized like 1/64" or 3/16", and cut a section that's about the length of the front blade's top section. Now, with a fine saw, cut along the axis of the tubing, so that you open it up lengthwise (like a hot dog bun). Then, heat it up slightly and press it over the sight blade. If you do this correctly, you will have a large "bead" front sight, at the top of your post. It's not only more visible than the skinny top of the No4's front sight, but it makes target shooting very intuitive.

Try it and see, works pretty well.

SMLE
November 17, 2004, 05:25 AM
There are also several good options for scoping the #4 rifle. I don't have all my favorite bookmarks on this computer, so I'll have to post links later when I'm at home.

If you enjoyed reading about "No.4 Mk.1 Enfield sight options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!