Question on trading to a FFL

PDA

halvey
November 16, 2004, 10:01 AM
I know I can't buy a pistol from an outstate FFL, unless they transfer it to an instate FFL. I know I can buy long guns from an outstate FFL

But, can I trade my pistol to an outstate FFL and get long guns in return?

I couldn't find anything solid on this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on trading to a FFL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EOD Guy
November 16, 2004, 10:51 AM
I know I can't buy a pistol from an outstate FFL, unless they transfer it to an instate FFL. I know I can buy long guns from an outstate FFL

But, can I trade my pistol to an outstate FFL and get long guns in return?

I couldn't find anything solid on this.

Yes, you may transfer a handgun to an FFL in any state. If the state laws of both your state of residence and the state of purchase allow it, you may then have a rifle or shotgun transferred to you by that FFL. Think of it as two separate transactions and the regulation will be more clear.

halvey
November 16, 2004, 11:03 AM
Ok, just to clarify:

I am in Minnesota. I will take my pistol to a gunshop in Wisconsin. Can they take it on trade?

EOD Guy
November 16, 2004, 04:11 PM
Ok, just to clarify:

I am in Minnesota. I will take my pistol to a gunshop in Wisconsin. Can they take it on trade?

Yes, unless there is some Wisconsin law that doesn't allow the transfer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on trading to a FFL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!