Good Read On Future AWB Prospects

PDA

Bartholomew Roberts
November 16, 2004, 11:49 AM
Seven of nine newly elected members to the Senate oppose the ban, and another would only support a more narrowly defined ban. They replace senators who voted six to three in favor of the ban.

http://www.connpost.com/Stories/0,1413,96~3750~2536064,00.html

So we go from six out of nine in favor of a ban, to eight out of nine opposing it in some form. They don't mention names. Any guesses as to who the fencesitter supporting a more narrowly defined ban might be? Ken Salazar?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Read On Future AWB Prospects" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Dragon
November 16, 2004, 03:14 PM
Their not going to come up with a New AWB :) Their going to tag a new AWB
to some other bill. :cuss: It's going to get dropped in the middle of something
for the FEMA budget or some other high profile bill and no one will notice until
the 11th hour.

Bartholomew Roberts
November 16, 2004, 03:25 PM
Their not going to come up with a New AWB :) Their going to tag a new AWB
to some other bill. :cuss: It's going to get dropped in the middle of something
for the FEMA budget or some other high profile bill and no one will notice until
the 11th hour.

I don't think that is likely since:

A) Tagging such amendments onto budget legislation is prohibited in one house and difficult to do in the other.
B) They don't have the votes to do it (thus this article).

duckslayer
November 16, 2004, 03:32 PM
They have seen the voter backlash from this legislation. It is highly unlikely to come up again IMO.

Harry Tuttle
November 16, 2004, 03:34 PM
There are NRA staff folke who comb keywords out of every bill.

You can specifically watch any of the usual suspects for Schumerisms.

IMHO, What the Bradyites will attempt in 2005, are multiple conflicting State level AWBs, to set the stage for a future federal AWB to clean up the "problem".

Gunstar1
November 16, 2004, 04:20 PM
Isn't this the exact opposite of that Brady Bunch article from the other day? Yes I know Brady loves to stretch the truth far past its breaking point, I just think it's funny.

The analysis shows that "if there's soul searching to do on the gun issue, it's inside the extreme gun lobby, not among supporters of sensible gun laws," Mrs. Brady said. "That's why President Bush stayed clear of the gun lobby's rhetoric -- and why the conservatives in Congress had better think twice before trying to roll back sensible gun laws."

DonP
November 16, 2004, 05:13 PM
On their web site they have, side by side, a cartoon about the evil GWB letting the AWB lapse and being in the pocket of the NRA right next to a letter describing the "wisdom" of GWB for not falling into the hands of the extremist gun lobby.

They even credit his election win to adopting "their mainstream position" on gun control, excuse me gun safety (their latest buzz phrase).

These cowards won't even acknowledge the number of members they have, or more correctly that they don't have.

I wonder if 501 C-3's are vulnerable to a FOIA request?

Standing Wolf
November 16, 2004, 07:07 PM
Any guesses as to who the fencesitter supporting a more narrowly defined ban might be? Ken Salazar?

That's well within the realm of possibility, although curiously, Salazar owns firearms himself. I heard that from a fellow who sold firearms to both Salazar brothers.

LAR-15
November 16, 2004, 07:56 PM
Ken Salazar is the fence sitter.

I'm pretty sure of that.

Bubbles
November 17, 2004, 09:07 AM
I wonder if 501 C-3's are vulnerable to a FOIA request?

The Brady Campaign is actually a 501c4 group.

Financial info on their associated PAC (who gives, who gets, and how much) can be found at Open Secrets (http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.asp?strID=C00113449).

Gunstar1
November 17, 2004, 12:14 PM
The first list of Brady supporters is what Brady called the "NRA Blacklist".

At the time they were still HCI (Handgun Control Inc.)

The list was people and companies that gave time or money to HCI.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Read On Future AWB Prospects" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!