Ruger Mini Thirty Magazines

PDA

Lee F
November 17, 2004, 09:02 AM
A friend just bought a Ruger 7.62x39 and now would like to buy a few magazines for it. I have asked everyone I know about it with no clear answers. Are there any quality 20 or 30 round magazines for it? A quick search shows several name brands available and all of them are poorly rated. Does anyone think the end of the ban will change the magazine situation.
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Mini Thirty Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Michael the Disciple
November 17, 2004, 10:33 AM
Well purely on the basis of "hope" I will say yes it will get better. Mini 30 and 14 would be very nice to have if someone started making good mags. I had 2 Mini 30's and nothing but frustration from what in itself is a nice little gun.

Maybe Mecgar, maybe Masen, maybe someone! Personally I would love to see 15 rounders being made. Rugers 40 caliber carbine would be very desirable if this were reality.

dbshabo
November 17, 2004, 03:25 PM
I sold a Mini-30 because of the lack of QUALITY hi cap magazines. I did purchase a few John Masen 10 round mags that worked fine. There's another company I have read that makes good mags, PMI maybe it is. I'm not sure, someone else here with more knowledge than I will know. I could never locate any of these mags whatever the co. name is. That however was during the Klinton Ban, it may be a different situation now.

Shbo

NH AR Shooter
November 18, 2004, 04:46 AM
Has anyone tried "Eagle" mags, My CDNN catalog has Eagle see-thru 18rd synthetic mags for the Mini 30, for $19.95, It also states they can be snapped together, side by side.

jpthegeek
November 18, 2004, 08:22 AM
My Mini-30 is kind of the 'nifty rifle that I should have never bought' because of this very thing. I am hoping beyond hope that someone sees the potential market and starts building good mags, but I'm not sure it's going to happen. Please! I hope I am wrong.

In the meantime...I have ordered 10 or so 30 rounders from Tapco. I do not know who makes them. No lable and they are kinda cheesy, but with a little effort they are mostly reliable...mostly. I also have a 10 round Eagle and it won't even chamber a round! I picked this one up about a week before I got my AR so I have never gone back to it to make it work.

If anyone finds some out there that actually work well, please post it here. I would like to turn my Mini into something other than a space waster in the safe.

http://www.tapco.com

Bigfoot
November 18, 2004, 08:33 AM
Thermold 30 rd mags seem to the highest rated of all the Mini-30 high caps. I've never seen one, but I read that they are expandable to 45 rds? Someone please explain this, and how can the spring still work well when expanded. How can a mag with a good reputation for funtioning go and do something goofy like that?

Michael the Disciple
November 18, 2004, 11:10 AM
In my experience neither the Thermolds or the Eagle's worked.

wardog
November 18, 2004, 01:58 PM
I sold my Mini 30 due to not being able to get reliable hi cap mags. The little 5 rounder would feed everything and anything. I had heard USA magazines were crap, but just had to find out for myself. THEY ARE CRAP, learn from my mistakes!!! It is deceiving, since the USA Mini 30 mags look fairly well built when you look at them. I could sometimes get them to be almost reliable if I used commerical ammo, but for some reason the mil surp stuff choked in the hi cap mags about every round or every other round.

At the time I heard the Eagle 18 round mags worked well but never tried them. Now others are saying they don't work either.

It's too bad, I really liked that rifle. Had a 6 X 42 scope and Choate side folder on it. Lightweight, decently accurate, evil looking.....

If you want hi capacity in 7.62 X 39, buy an AK.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Mini Thirty Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!