<$200 .22lr with peep sights?

PDA

itgoesboom
November 17, 2004, 05:16 PM
I guess the title basically says it all.....Is there a relativly inexpensive .22lr rifle with peep sights out there?

Thanks.

I.G.B.

If you enjoyed reading about "<$200 .22lr with peep sights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
musher
November 17, 2004, 06:31 PM
If you don't requre a brand new gun, you might look for a mossberg M44US. A bunch of these were sold by the CMP a few years back. They went for around $100 delivered then (w/o mags). I've seen them around occasionally for something like $200. Mags are available through brownells.

I really like mine. Very accurate rifle. Bit of a heavy trigger, though.

lee n. field
November 17, 2004, 07:24 PM
AR-7.

Either that, or put a Williams peep sight on a gun. You should be able to do that (gun and sight) for under $200.

BamBam-31
November 17, 2004, 07:36 PM
www.cz452.com.

You can get the Military model for under $200, IIRC.

jefmad
November 17, 2004, 08:56 PM
I have a Mossburg 146 and it is a great little .22 rifle with peep sights. Better yet it is tube fed and there is no magazine to lose. I have seen them as shops for around $100 - $125. Any of the old Mossburgs will fit you price range and be great little shooters.

Badger Arms
November 17, 2004, 09:57 PM
If you get a Ruger 10/22, you can buy a Williams receiver sight and Fire sight for the front. The peep and slide simply screw on to the rear scope-mount holes. You need the higher front sight which installs with a dovetail riser and allen-head locking screw. You can get them lots of places, if you are interested. That's how my plinking 10/22 is set up.

itgoesboom
November 18, 2004, 01:21 AM
Some good ideas so far, but I don't know if any of them will work out.

The Mossberg looks like a great choice, I will have to check around to see if there are any in good condition around here, but I really would prefer to not buy it online. Also, many of them seem to be going for more than $200, and some were $300+.

The AR7 probably won't work, since it doesn't have a forearm, and that is kind of important to me, since I will be shooting mostly prone supported.

I love the 10/22 idea, a williams sight system looks like a great idea, and I could upgrade it to a good target heavy BBL and stock, and scope it.

Only problem with that is that it is a Ruger, and I would prefer not to support that company.

I think the CZ looks great too, except no peep sight, and they are alittle out of my range.

Keep the ideas coming guys, I know there is a perfect choice out there.

I.G.B.

Fiero
November 18, 2004, 01:29 AM
The AR-7 needs no front support, the front end is as light as a feather..

By all conventional wisdom, my AR-7 should be an inaccurate POS. But I'll be damned if I cant shoot that thing like it was an olympic target rifle. I love that peep. Unsupported, I can shoot it oneheluva lot better than any of my other .22's.

makarov
November 18, 2004, 02:21 AM
Peep sights aren't that common on new guns, unless you are talking spendy Target rifles.

Start scoping out the used racks at gun shops and pawn shops. I have found some great deals on used guns. Keep an eye out for the Mossbergs, not just the 44. I have a 144 and another that is a semi auto that came with a really nice Redfield sights. Got that one for $100, sights are probably worth that. The leaf sights on the CZ's are really nice. Could get a Biathlon Basic and a red dot... Mine is scary accurate, I have a 4x Weaver on it though.

Keep looking and carry cash....

BamBam-31
November 18, 2004, 02:53 AM
Click on the link I provided above and scroll down a bit to "Ghost Ring Sights." This guy sells an aftermarket insert that replaces the CZ 452 OEM rear sight with a peep sight. It's what I have on mine, and it's great. You can still adjust the rear sight for windage and elevation, too. Great for practice and/or general plinking.

Badger Arms
November 18, 2004, 03:02 AM
Only problem with that is that it is a Ruger, and I would prefer not to support that company.For whatever reason (Bill Ruger is DEAD), but you can buy a USED 10/22 rifle cheaper anyhow.

itgoesboom
November 18, 2004, 03:21 AM
For whatever reason (Bill Ruger is DEAD), but you can buy a USED 10/22 rifle cheaper anyhow.

Badger,

Bill may be dead, but the company still refuses to sell rifle hi-cap mags to civilains.

Maybe a used one is the way to go. I prefer to buy new though.

I.G.B.

If you enjoyed reading about "<$200 .22lr with peep sights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!