Greek rack grade Garands from CMP

PDA

Dbl0Kevin
November 17, 2004, 08:05 PM
Anybody get one of these? For $295 they're really hard to beat, but I wanted to know the quality of these guns though. I wouldn't want it to shoot a whole lot, just every once in a while for fun, but mostly for a WWII era collectable. I'd probably later on get a service grade or other better condition Garand for a shooter when funds allow. So what are the opinions on these rifles?

If you enjoyed reading about "Greek rack grade Garands from CMP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RGO
November 17, 2004, 08:36 PM
From the reports I have read about them, most tend to have worn barrels and/or battered wood. However, the price is unbeatable. Some diamonds-in-the-rough, indistinguishable from service grades, have turned up. If you are willing to accept a barrel that may be near the end of its life, go for it. You can always rebarrel it.

George S.
November 17, 2004, 08:51 PM
Greek RGs can be a real crapshoot. There have been a few folks that report getting a decent shooter buy not really pretty. The Greeks apparently did not take good care of their rifles so if you go with one, don't expect a lot.

For the money, a Service Grade Springfield is the best way to go. It might be $525, but the chances are pretty good of getting a good barrel and decent stock. USGI Rack Grades are better than the Greeks but expect a worn barrel and a stock that has a lot of wear.

OF course a trip to the North Store will allow you to hand pick yours with the help of the staff.

The Grand Inquisitor
November 18, 2004, 02:13 AM
Do yourself a favor and go with the service grade Garands. A few months ago a buddy and I made the trek to the CMP North store and picked out the Garand each one of us wanted to buy. I went in with the idea of getting a good quality RG for cheap buy when I looked them over, it just didn't seem worth it to save a few bucks and get a beat up rifle.

My SG was at 2 for TE and has been a fantastic shooter with no problems what so ever. Yes, you will pay and extra $200 or so, but you'll be happy you did when you shoot it and see the results.

cracked butt
November 18, 2004, 03:02 AM
The rack grade Greeks are the best value if you want a rifle that you can build as new or rebarrel to .308- the rg greeks are only about $50 more than a stripped receiver+ you get all of the parts needed to make a functional rifle.

Once again, they are probably the best deal if you are planning on rebarreling and buying a new stock.

Dbl0Kevin
November 18, 2004, 12:59 PM
The rack grade Greeks are the best value if you want a rifle that you can build as new or rebarrel to .308- the rg greeks are only about $50 more than a stripped receiver+ you get all of the parts needed to make a functional rifle.

Once again, they are probably the best deal if you are planning on rebarreling and buying a new stock.

Yeah that's my problem since I do want a garand to restock and rebarrel, but I want to get a WWII era garand while they still last and don't know when I'll have a chance to get another again. Decisions decisions.

MAUSER88
November 18, 2004, 02:31 PM
I'll let you know as soon as mine arrives. I sent my paperwork in on 11-9. We'll see how long it takes to get here.

Dbl0Kevin
November 18, 2004, 02:32 PM
I'll let you know as soon as mine arrives. I sent my paperwork in on 11-9. We'll see how long it takes to get here.

Awesome can't wait to hear how it turns out! :)

absolute0
November 18, 2004, 03:07 PM
If you're like me and buying one "just to have one" and shoot it occaisionally, I think they're an exceptional deal. I bought a Greek RG this summer and am very satisfied with what I got. I didn't expect a match grade barrel or pretty wood, but I can always do something about that down the line if I so choose.

My only disappointment was getting a post WWII rifle, I was hoping to get an early 40's productionm but such is life!

You know dang well that it'll always be worth at least what you paid for it, and remember fellows, there's no law that says you can't buy another

VG
November 18, 2004, 03:45 PM
Yeah that's my problem since I do want a garand to restock and rebarrel, but I want to get a WWII era garand while they still last and don't know when I'll have a chance to get another again. Decisions decisions.As most of them were manufactured during WWII, that's easy. But the only part likely to be WWII vintage is the receiver. Arguably the only part visably different from a WWII rifle is the rear sight. If you're going to restock and rebarrel anyway, why sweat it?

November 18, 2004, 04:02 PM
By definition, the rack grade rifle is not going to have a barrel that is up to spec. That is why it is a rack grade rifle. It isn't a crap shoot, CMP measures the barrels and determined it was not up to snuff.
That being said, I bought a service grade Greek.
It looks far worse than the US rifles I have purchased from the CMP, but it was not abused or beaten up. It just has the shiny metal showing through the parkerizing and honest dings in the wood. It runs great although it's accuracy starts to fall off at longish range. I know this is an overused phrase, but it has character. It looks like you would imagine a real combat M1 would look.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rack grade greek, especially with your criteria in mind.

ReadyontheRight
November 19, 2004, 05:20 PM
If at all possible, head over to Ohio and pick one out.

That being said, you cannot beat $300 for a Garand. Especially if you plan to rebarrel and/or re-stock it. If you are going to rebarrel it, Tony Giacobbe at http://www.garandguy.com has a good price and quick turn-around on re-barreling. And he's right in NJ (I'm not sure which exit :neener: ).

If you do not want to put $200-300 into it, you are better off with a $500 Service Grade -- still a great deal.

C. H. Luke
November 19, 2004, 05:37 PM
Have a number of Garand's bought "way" back when you had to wait 9-12 months, fill out a ton of paperwork and could only buy one {or two?} per year.

All have receivers from WW II years but all also had bbl's. from the mid '60's. One will out shoot the Match bbl'd & triggered M1A also have almost any day of the week!

IMO, Garand's are one thing Patton was absolutely right about!

kayak bum
November 20, 2004, 11:50 AM
I recieved my service grade Greek in early October; some storage wear, but generally in good shape. As a shooter it can't be beat for the money; it had been glass-bedded somewhere along the line, the barrel is still in good shape, and I am the limiting factor on accuracy. :)

natedog
November 20, 2004, 09:44 PM
I love my Greek rack grade. The stock is an even color, solid, with a few dings. The finish shows a little wear on working parts, and all the internals are sound, save for a broken firing pin today. The bore is pristine, and the muzzle shows little to no where. I suppose I got lucky.

oscar
November 20, 2004, 10:10 PM
I have had 5 rack grade Greeks. Most had very dark and greasy looking wood. One had a very dark barrel, but most were decent. Hard to beat for the money.

If you enjoyed reading about "Greek rack grade Garands from CMP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!