Should I call the FBI on a big mouth?

PDA

Bigfoot
November 18, 2004, 05:16 AM
I know little about forums and how they work so I'd like to hear from some of you before I do anything. On a car forum that I'm on a thread turned political. This guy elhalisf gets all worked up and says (paraphasing) 'I hate America, I'm thinking about getting a gun and joining the fight against Americans.' Now he edited that post 20 min later and deleted all that. This guy's a Palistinian student going to college in Detroit.

Here's the thread, the post is #6 on this page and was edited at 9:01am check out how even his liberal friend said he sounded like a terrorist. The next guy said his background should be looked into. I assume these guys saw the unedited post too but one is his friend and the other one doesn't want to get involved.

http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB13&Number=153869&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=2

Here's a paragraph cut and pasted from another political thread a couple of weeks ago. Same guy, same attitude.

"NO. all that bush did was go after all the Arab Americans in this country, including my 76 year old grand father. he had is WHOLE retirement fund in an Islamic bank, where they SIMPLY seized his full account balance under the excuse that he was funding terrorism. ALL OF IT. NO REASONS, NO TRIALS, NO APPEALS, NO NOTHING. has not seen that money to date."

I read his 'joining the fight' post before work and by the time I got home to respond he'd edited it. But I called him on it and of course he denies all. So do I drop a dime on the wannabe? It wouldn't be worth it unless they can retrieve the original post, can they do that? And will they, or will they blow it off. The guy needs to be watched, but it looks like they might be watching his family already. What I want to know is, just how lame is the FBI. Will this go anywhere? Or should I just drop it?

The forum has a good guy/bad guy list and apparantly he ripped off another forum member over some parts a couple of months back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I call the FBI on a big mouth?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MM
November 18, 2004, 07:39 AM
Two questions:
What does a patriot do?
Is it possible "they" monitor these threads?
SatCong

foghornl
November 18, 2004, 07:57 AM
If you hate America that much, then go the **** back to Palestine, and don't darken our country with your miserable presence again....Oh, wait a minute........I forgot something...Yasser hasn't gotten you a country yet.

Oh, yeah.....on the original question....Drop a dime.

ojibweindian
November 18, 2004, 08:11 AM
Call them as soon as possible. Many would-be tragedies have been prevented by schleps like that opening their fat mouths to those that would report them.

Cool Hand Luke 22:36
November 18, 2004, 08:15 AM
Report it ASAP. It's possible the original post is archived somewhere that can be accessed by a knowledgeable person.

WT
November 18, 2004, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't bother over one simple rant on the web. Heck, half of us are probably guilty of running off at the mouth unnecessarily.

The less contact one has with the FBI the better. By bringing this incident to the FBI's attention, rest assured that they will begin looking closely at you.

capt. Nemo
November 18, 2004, 09:28 AM
"...a simple rant on the web"?! WT, you're not paranoid - everybody really IS out to get you.

Anyone stupid and hot-headed enough to post a statement like the one described in the first post of this thread needs to be looked at closely. Or do we want to wait until something blows up or becomes perforated with numerous round holes, then wonder why SOMEBODY didn't do SOMETHING to prevent this!

Don't be a squealer. Be a Patriot.

Zonamo
November 18, 2004, 09:32 AM
I know little about forums and how they work so I'd like to hear from some of you before I do anything. On a car forum that I'm on a thread turned political. This guy elhalisf gets all worked up and says (paraphasing) 'I hate America, I'm thinking about getting a gun and joining the fight against Americans.'

CNN used to have a very lively political discussion until they were sued by the Council for Islamic American Relations (CAIR) and shut down. One poster went by the name Mohammed Atta.

Who knows if it was the same guy, but quite a few of the posters regretted not mentioning to the FBI his rantings. But at the time he didn't seem like he "really meant it." It was just internet talk after all.

Another poster there claimed that he lied to get into this country after he was wanted in Israel for slitting the throat of a bound and defenseless 19-yr old he says he and his buddies kidnapped, held for hours, murdered, and then dumped the corpse in a wadi.

Not sure who turned him in, but that one admitted he had a visit from the FBI, so I can tell you that they will follow-up if you decide to say something. Then he disappeared from posting. Hopefully he was deported back to answer for his crime.

There is an anonymous reporting page on their website if you want to follow through.

FBI Tips and Public Leads (https://tips.fbi.gov/)

standingbear
November 18, 2004, 09:45 AM
indeed,internet traffic is being monitored,you can bet the original message was seen and noted.doesnt hurt to follow up on it,the call is free.

the federal govt takes threats very seriously.

Hawkmoon
November 18, 2004, 09:56 AM
Call.

If you're nervous about the FBI getting in YOUR face, call from a pay phone, wear gloves while handling the phone, and don't stay on very long. The FBI will be interested, but I can tell you from two instances when I did "the right thing" that to the Feds I was expendable. I would do "the right thing" again, but I would probably do it through an attorney to ensure that my rights were not violated for trying to help the folks who are supposed to be protecting me.

WT
November 18, 2004, 11:57 AM
Before you call from a pay phone, look around for security cameras. In my neck of the woods, pay phones are in populated areas and some nearby store camera or traffic monitoring camera probably has it in view. Some cameras are hard, if not impossible, to spot.

A phone trace is done instantaneously nowadays. Its traced before the ringing even sounds.

Heck, even Ford told me that a black box in my car monitors my activities.

DRZinn
November 18, 2004, 12:16 PM
Drop a fat American dime on his a**. He may have been serious, in which case he needs to be stopped. He may have been joking, in which he still made a terrorist threat and deserves the hassle.

rick_reno
November 18, 2004, 12:47 PM
Yes, you should report him.

R.H. Lee
November 18, 2004, 12:58 PM
A foreign national inside our country who publically declares himself our enemy and expresses a desire to commit violence on us needs to be questioned and probably expelled from the country. Words mean things.

Carlos
November 18, 2004, 01:00 PM
Yup, the guy has worn out his welcome. Time to throw him under the bus, as they say.

CarlS
November 18, 2004, 01:10 PM
Yes, you should report him. Do it anonymously for your own protection.

The internet and emails are monitored. The program looks for key words. That does not mean that something could not slip through the software.

riverdog
November 18, 2004, 01:23 PM
Heck, the FBI probably does monitor this site and since you provided a link they are probably aware of the issue as you type. Sure, drop a dime, it'll only cost $.25.

itgoesboom
November 18, 2004, 01:45 PM
Seriously, you need to report this to the FBI.

Already in Oregon we have had a few terrorist nabbed by the FBI, and I think they will take any threat up here very seriously.

I wouldn't worry too much about the FBI getting in your face. I have already had contact with 3 people at the FBI office up here in Portland, and one down in San Diego, and they are very professional. They were arranging to return a firearm that was stolen and then recovered, and I never once felt that they were investigating me, even though there were massive screwups when the firearm was reported stolen. (The officer who wrote down the serial number was off by a digit, so my firearm was never reported stolen, so when it was recovered, it still popped up registered to me, and the theif claimed I sold it to him. The agent in San Diego had that cleared up before he even called me up).

I.G.B.

papaone
November 18, 2004, 04:04 PM
You might save some lives. :scrutiny:

Standing Wolf
November 18, 2004, 05:15 PM
I'd make the call and send the E-mails: the Islamic terrorist savages have already killed more Americans than were killed during the entire Revolutionary War.

sigmaman
November 18, 2004, 09:55 PM
after i got off third shift i got home to what i thought was a freak accident
plane hits building
i turned the tv on just as the second plane hit and said "omg were being attacked " i instantly knew the odds of 2 palnes hitting was impossible
i was severly tramatized angry and wanted to kill everything that resided in the middle east
i get to wrok and here is this guy one of many immigrants from kosovo that was granted temporary asylum in our country
basically we took him and the rest of them in to save there necks
know what he said
"america had that coming"
i threw my lunch box at him a guy i worked with got between us
i was called into the office were i lied and said i just dropped my lunch box
no one came forward for him and a week later the guy that stepped between us bounyava a immigrant from laos
dropped his ass right in the middle of the shop floor
they both got fired but i got bounyava a job at another shop
i say if you feel that "way" get the hell out time for a deportation hearing

Linux&Gun Guy
November 18, 2004, 10:01 PM
No one likes a snitch and they end up in ditches

Its just some idiot - don't worry about it - government contract is the last thing anyone wants

Bigfoot
November 18, 2004, 10:23 PM
We arn't talking narcotics here. This is just a bit more serious, don't you think?

JerryM
November 18, 2004, 10:30 PM
REPORT HIM. And do it now. Let the FBI sort it out.

Jerry

Linux&Gun Guy
November 18, 2004, 10:30 PM
Narc just means to inform ie 'he narced on my dealer' however it can be used for other stuff as well.

My thinking is that the fed gov is a greater threat to us then any terrorist and we don't want to get into the mindset of people informing on others - thats what it was like in Nazi Germany

Bigjake
November 18, 2004, 10:48 PM
Shame on this loudmouth. Make the call.

Edited by Art to turn into proper language...

HEiST
November 18, 2004, 11:41 PM
One of my friends had problems with a motorcycle club. He was tired of these people buzzing down his (at great cost) paved access road at 120 mph as a shortcut between one county road and another. I wanted him to do something decidedly un-high road (A plethora of no trespassing signs, for a week, and if no change.. something else).

Instead, he just had them busted. Message board postings were used as evidence that the group intended to use their shortcut no matter what he wanted them to do.

Edit: Later, the dumbnuts on the board who posted saying they were going to "kill him" and were "furious"at what happened to their brothers-in-trespassing got investigated too. Be careful about e-threats. ;)

DRZinn
November 19, 2004, 12:07 AM
we don't want to get into the mindset of people informing on others - thats what it was like in Nazi Germany
So we should never tell the authorities if we suspect someone is going to commit a crime?

deanf
November 19, 2004, 12:34 AM
Report him to your state authorities. By calling the FBI, you are participating in and acknowledging the fraud that is every federal law enforcement agency. These alphabet soup federal thugs have no legitimate authority to exist, under the Constitution.

By calling state authorities, you've done your duty. If the state authorities choose to call the FBI, that's their problem, but at least your soul will be clean.

GoRon
November 19, 2004, 01:13 AM
My thinking is that the fed gov is a greater threat to us then any terrorist

When was the last time the Federal govmt killed 3000+ innocent people?

If you think there is even a remote chance that he would follow through with his statements make the call.

The Grand Inquisitor
November 19, 2004, 01:40 AM
Be a man and deal with it.

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they are evil and your enemy. People say stupid things all the time, but it certainly doesn't condemn them of anything.

I could find you scores of stupid, reactionary comments here on this board, but people take it in stride.

Grow up.

20000Tonnes
November 19, 2004, 01:54 AM
No one likes a snitch and they end up in ditches

Its just some idiot - don't worry about it - government contract is the last thing anyone wants

I would have to respectfully disagree. These are not idiots, these are islamic fundamentalist hell bent on the subjugation of Dar al-Harb, which definitely includes America. This is no laughing matter.

I have to believe that FBI counter-terrorism units and the computer crime units take these matters very seriously. Report it anonymously if you wish, but report it ASAP. Counter-terrrorism seems to be one of the hottest issues on the FBI's plate right now, do your country a favor and call this incident in.

Graystar
November 19, 2004, 02:54 AM
I agree with the consensus...report him.

c_yeager
November 19, 2004, 03:17 AM
By all means goose-step your way to the nearest secret police HQ to resolve a petty internet argument. Sounds like a winning strategy to me. Especially since he made mention of an EVIL firearm.

spacemanspiff
November 19, 2004, 12:28 PM
i take it not many people save the html to their own computers?

if you still use IE, click on File, Save As...
the html and everything on the page you are currently on will be saved to your hard drive. the html file will be in your 'my documents' folder, and the files it saves (attachments, icons, etc) will be in its own folder with a unique name.

you can view that html page any time you wish, even after its taken off the internet.

real helpful when you come across posts that are worth saving for future reference, or for saving news articles.
i'm pretty sure you can share that saved html with others, as long as they have copies of the html and the folder with the attachments.

MICHAEL T
November 20, 2004, 01:27 AM
Call --- it could be all talk .Then again?

hm
November 20, 2004, 02:09 AM
Lemme share with you a perspective I hope will give you a more objective sense of what to do.

I am a yellow-dog, lily-livered, bleeding-heart, tax-the-rich, Clinton-lovin' Liberal Democrat. I've got little love for my current Commander-in-chief.....but make no mistake, he IS the President, he IS the will of the American people and because I love and respect what the Constitiution stands for, I honor and respect the power he is endowed with, as with Congress, as with the Court. Yes, this nut-job friend of yours probably has geuine gripes with current US policies in the world...so do I. But as much as I disgree with some policies, I stand by the Constitution, I stand by my President, I stand by America...because this is still the greatest nation in the history of humanity.

As far as I'm concerned, this idiot threatened to help overthrow the US gov't...a big-time federal offense. Call whichever law enforcement agency you feel comfortable calling, but DO IT NOW!!! Don't let this weasel be the reason for another bad day in America.

2nd Amendment
November 20, 2004, 10:49 AM
...this idiot threatened to help overthrow the US gov't...

Well if THAT'S all he did maybe we should actually be offering to help him.

But the fact is that isn't what he said. 'I hate America, I'm thinking about getting a gun and joining the fight against Americans.' The government is not America. And, somehow, I don't think the goober was planning on going over to fight US troops, either.

Fine line time. Weighing the need to prevent a possible loon from hurting people, vs turning someone over to a corrupt government because of some words on the 'net(words which apparently no longer even exist). Compromise is what was said above: Turn him over to your locals if your conscience demands you do something. Then, at least, you haven't dealt with the Feebs directly and if there's nothing to it perhaps it won't have to take on the overblown proportions of the Jack-Boots making an "example" of someone.

macavada
November 20, 2004, 12:16 PM
You ought to report it. Locals aren't going to be concerned with something from the internet. Locals don't have jurisdiction over interstate crimes.

The FBI would be the place to go. The thing is, they have thousands upon thousands of these citizen provided leads that they can't follow up on. If you are in a rural locale, you might get an agent calling you that doesn't have much on his plate, but when he refers it for a collateral, it may or may not get attention, based on where the student is located. By the way, the FBI, and ICE are interested in middle eastern students that may be militants. This is where they want to be spending their intelligence gathering resources. For all you know, they guy may already be under investigation. Maybe he's tied in to some sort of militant group, or associates with a cell somewhere (unknowingly).

Early during Ashcroft's tenure, and shortly after the Patriot Act was enacted, they came up with this idea that citizens should report suspicious activity. I don't like this administration, and I don't like the decisions they make, but I agree that collectively we should be raising our awareness of our surroundings, and report suspiscious acitivities should we come across any. I think this qualifies. The feds might not do anything, but at least you've done your part.

Bigfoot
November 20, 2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks all. This thread can end. I'm not really sure why, but I can't bring myself to make the call. If someone wants to that's ok with me. But my personel decision is to let it go.

Gary H
November 20, 2004, 03:07 PM
Maybe you should have thought this thing through before posting.

I don't think this is the sort of thing where you need to seek advice. You are either a pro-active person, or not. The offense was either a threat, or not. Why get everyone worked up when you never intended to report this thing? Having said this, I posted a similar thread regarding a bumper sticker promoting the assasination of Bush. In the end, I regretted posting. It really wasn't something that required others to tell me what, or what not to do. Live and learn...

Those that think that the government detects every threat over the Internet must be watching more than their share of movies. You will never know, except in hindsight, when a threat is one that someone follows-up on.

JerryM
November 20, 2004, 04:22 PM
I must agree with Gary.
If you did not have the courage to report one who might kill others, as he has expressed, then what was your point? Did you think that the rest of us were gutless, and would support your position? If so, you were wrong.

Jerry

Bigfoot
November 20, 2004, 04:55 PM
Now don't go questioning my courage, manhood etc. I posted because I needed internet information. I got it, and made a decision. I'd respect yours.

Art Eatman
November 21, 2004, 12:56 AM
Closed per Bigfoot's wish.

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I call the FBI on a big mouth?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!