What Hours Do You Hunt?

PDA

Coltdriver
February 27, 2003, 11:38 PM
Lets hear what hours of the day you most commonly start your hunting.

If you enjoyed reading about "What Hours Do You Hunt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greybeard
February 28, 2003, 09:28 AM
In younger days, ' started semi-serious hunting between 8 and 11 p.m., then tried to be down to business between midnight and 3. Sometimes appalled by what I had in the sack after sunrise. :eek: Far better results without Tequila. :D

Art Eatman
February 28, 2003, 09:48 AM
It obviously depends on the choice of game, as so beautifully illustrated by Greybeard. He obviously has a sense of priority.

I've had my best Bambi-luck during mid-day, kicking Ol' Biggie out of bed and not having to walk so far to gut him out.

I'm heavy on liking late afternoon on 'til dark, though.

I don't like to hunt in the early morning. It's usually cold, then, during hunting season, and I hate cold. Cold is Bad.

:), Art

Poodleshooter
February 28, 2003, 05:49 PM
I want to see who fesses up to moseying out to their deer stand after noon on a regular basis :)

Larry Ashcraft
February 28, 2003, 06:38 PM
Art,

How cold could it possibly get where you live? ;)

I fell in the river once at 7 am when it was zero. That's cold (and stupid).

To answer the question, depends... Ducks, geese, pronghorns, I'll be set up before sunup. Varmints, I'll hunt when I'm comfortable, not them.

BIGR
March 1, 2003, 12:09 PM
For deer if it is dark nights I usually get into the woods before daylight and hunt to about 10AM or 11AM. Then go back into the woods at about 2PM and hunt til dark. This past deer season I did try something different during the full moon week and went into the woods at about 10AM and hunted the rest of the day until dark. I did see a few does around 11AM to 1PM but not many after that until about 4:30PM.

Art Eatman
March 1, 2003, 04:34 PM
Larry, in Terlingua, water freezes at 60. :D

I wuz happily whining about frigid 60s, during a porch-BS session, and a Colorado guy kept looking at me funny. He finally couldn't stand it any longer and had to comment about how 60 was nice and warm for him.

I suggested he come back in May or June; I'd take him hiking, and he could drink water when I did. There was a rather quiet, "Oh..." :) Heck, I've never seen it above 118 to 120...

During deer season, it's common to have a morning low temperature around 26 to 28, and an afternoon high in the 80s. Since mule deer don't move around nearly as much as whitetails, you gotta go kick'em out of bed. That's lots of walking, and if you dress for early you're totin' a bunch of clothing for most of the day.

And that's why I'm mostly a mid-day hunter.

:), Art

Dan Morris
March 1, 2003, 09:34 PM
LOL, Art....in the years we hunted west of Shafner......the walking was a bear and the mornings were frosty. Brings back memories.
Dan

Art Eatman
March 1, 2003, 10:16 PM
Yeah, the joys of cross-country: Catclaw, rocks, prickly-pear, rocks, dog cactus, rocks, lecheguilla, rocks, ocotillo, rocks...

Never have figured out why it's uphill when you leave camp, and still uphill on the way back!

:D, Art

Coltdriver
March 3, 2003, 10:38 AM
Well I am glad to see I am not the only one who does not get up before the sun to go hunt.

Talk about cold, last Friday was the last day of the small game season here in Colorado.

So I took the day off and went out at an unusually early 9am.

Got back to the entrance to a place I was at in the Pike National Forest the week prior and did not get more than 100 feet up the road before I got stuck bad in the snow.

Took over two hours of digging and jacking up wheels and generally being miserable to get unstuck.

It was 17 degrees out when I started, thankfully it warmed up to 20 degrees by the time I got out.

It will sure make your muscles sore to work hard when it is that cold.

My @$$ has still not thawed out completely:D

BBall
March 8, 2003, 08:05 PM
IF any moon at all I wait till 8am and hunt all day on and off.

IF no moon best be set at daybreak.

IF foggy I sit on clear cuts at dawn and wait for it to lift, sometimes it dosent but if it does usually straglers get caught out in the open.

If sunny and warmish/dry 11am walk along ridge lines seem pretty productive. Of course alway the next ridge over =).

Blacktails are pretty spooky, usually have to go looking for them. But then again thats why I love em. Blessed to live in the Pacific Northwest heart of blacktail country. They run a tad smaller but require a bit of extra effort. Its all about the hunt. With that said, My favorite time to go hunting is ANYTIME!!

Woohoo Im already getting excited!

MeekandMild
March 8, 2003, 11:44 PM
I used to crawl out of bed at 4 AM and get in the woods at five. Yawn. Never did well until I started hunting with some folks who like to have a leisurely lunch and watch the first quarter of afternoon football. All my deer have been shot in the afternoon.

Sure they have been small bucks and middle aged doe, but I'm a meat hunter and not a trophy hunter and would rather eat goat than an old buck. :D

nygunguy
March 9, 2003, 08:23 PM
Poodle I fess up.

I frequently vacate my office at 11:00 AM and get "in stand" at around 12:30. Being the dedicated employee that I am I always take my pager and cell phone. I've actually "done business" while sitting my tree stand watching deer.

I've taken more deer in late season on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons than at any other time. Thursday's are by far the best. It seems that the woods settles down (after a busy weekend) by Wednesday.

Marshall
March 12, 2003, 05:33 AM
The time has always dependent upon the weather, the booze, Bambi and her Sister and, Football games. The goal of the ultimate hunt has always been have a few drinks the night before, find Bambie and her Sister, get out of bed about 10am, hit your stand by 11am, shoot Deer by Noon, back in front of fireplace with sisters by 1pm, fix a drink and watch 2cd half of football games by 3pm. Any sign of rain and you skip everything between 10am and 1pm!

:neener:

Seriously, if you had a slot that started at 6:00am I would have voted for it. I see most of my large bucks from 7-9am and 3-5pm

If you enjoyed reading about "What Hours Do You Hunt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!