U.S. Soldier with two sidearms!

PDA

Jesse308
November 18, 2004, 07:52 PM
I saw this pic in my local paper. It appears that the Soldier firing the M-21 has a beretta on his LBV and on his belt.

http://media.phillyburbs.com/2004/11/17/IRAQ_CAR_BOMB.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "U.S. Soldier with two sidearms!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mons meg
November 18, 2004, 07:53 PM
He must be from New York...

:neener:

patentmike
November 18, 2004, 08:38 PM
Smart lad. If somebody popped up close-in, probably all you'd see through that scope is nosehairs.

MrMurphy
November 18, 2004, 09:30 PM
The belt one could be a pouch.

Roadkill
November 18, 2004, 10:43 PM
There was a USMC Medal of Honor winner named Valdez(?), won it when he was a 1Lt in Vietnam in 68, he wore two .45s and a Kbar, emptied both guns until he ran out of ammo then used the knife. Said he had started carrying two pistols because it took too long to reload using just one. I guess street fighting is very close up and personal. Talking to a WWII vet a few weeks ago, he was Inf, said for open country the preferred weapon was a Garand with rifle grenades, for towns/cities they switched to M1 carbines, SMGs, grenades and .45s.

rk

ZeroX
November 18, 2004, 11:01 PM
Never hurts to have a backup.

PMDW
November 18, 2004, 11:04 PM
I saw a police officer in Florida one time, who had two Glocks on his belt. Confused the hell out of me.

admar2
November 18, 2004, 11:08 PM
that's cuz he's Sgt. Chow Yun Fat

http://www.splatting-image.com/Interviews/Chow/a_chow.gif

ponyexpress
November 18, 2004, 11:08 PM
I apologize for highjacking this thread but our paper had the same picture and I noticed his M14 has a pistol grip. I wonder who supplied that?

nitesite
November 18, 2004, 11:53 PM
Wife and I recently took a cruise ship out of Mobile, AL. While desparately trying to find the correct approach to the parking/offloading area I was interested to see a "cowboy" white-shirted Mobile police officer helping to direct traffic.

He wore a primary sidearm on his right side, and another full-size secondary sidearm on his left side. It was carried in a RH holster at his 9 o'clock, cross-draw style. They were SIGs. I was amazed and impressed!

But in his Oakleys and two sidearms he gve me the impression as a poser.

Kaylee
November 19, 2004, 12:07 AM
ponyexpress --

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mfsinc_n/tactical.html

The M2A stock is a pistol grip M1A with a vertically adjustable saddle type cheek piece. It is designed to be used as a long-range weapon when equipped with a scope. The adjustable cheek piece allows the shooter to see through the scope and still maintain a desirable cheek weld. It must be bedded and is not legal for NRA Service Rifle Competition. For M14/M1A rifles only.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18566&stc=1

and to the original thread... I'm thinking that'a a pouch, not a holstered pistol under his shirt.

And another question.. do those current issue flap holsters accomodate 1911 series pistols, or only M9s?

SMLE
November 19, 2004, 01:06 AM
The second "pistol" those cops were carrying was more likely a Taser.

Albuquerque cops carry them and unless you look closely, it appears to be a pistol in a thigh holster.

There was thread here about that, but I can't find it right now.

Gillster
November 19, 2004, 01:16 AM
The issued flap holster I have holds a Springfield 1911 and a PO P14 equally as well as the M9 it's supposed to hold.

Double Naught Spy
November 19, 2004, 01:35 AM
What two side arms are you seeing, Jesse308? Do you mean the one that is visible on his belt and then are inferring one is present in the pouch under his shirt on his right hip? I think Mr.Murphy is probably right. It is probably just a pouch. Even if it isn't, there isn't enough information visible in the image to determine that it is a second gun. Heck, you can't even tell if the green item in question is a pouch or holster or a pouch being used as a holster and if it is a holster, just what it contains.

Given the way the shirt drapes away from the pouch, the pouch appears to be a double pouch, one compartment outside of the main compartment that is closest to the body. If it is a holster, then it is a different type than the one visible on the soldier's belt that has a gun in it.

rayra
November 19, 2004, 03:08 AM
ponyexpress --
And another question.. do those current issue flap holsters accomodate 1911 series pistols, or only M9s?They'll hold either.

psyopspec
November 19, 2004, 03:09 AM
I recall seeing a square looking pouch about the size of the bulge on this guy's right hip on some NBC personnel in Iraq. Think it contained chem agent detection stuff. Since NBC isn't considered a threat anymore, could have disposed of the chem detection equipment and be using it to hold whatever he felt was needed instead.

bp_cowboy
November 19, 2004, 08:52 AM
I hope the one guy has one of those Dirty Terroist Muslims in his crosshairs.

Window1
November 19, 2004, 08:54 AM
Nobody has stated the obvious. The military must be running out of knee-pads. Couldn't help myself on that one. :)

Lee

El Tejon
November 19, 2004, 09:00 AM
Two pistols? Wouldn't that be against *gulp, shaking* MILITARY REGULATIONS? *shudder*

We know it's not a pistol as no one would violate those scared laws.

cxm
November 19, 2004, 09:03 AM
The M14s that were configured for full auto use (M14E2) had pistol grips... could be one of the E2 stocks someone painted.

/r

Chuck

I apologize for highjacking this thread but our paper had the same picture and I noticed his M14 has a pistol grip. I wonder who supplied that?

Zach S
November 19, 2004, 09:30 AM
The second "pistol" those cops were carrying was more likely a Taser.

Albuquerque cops carry them and unless you look closely, it appears to be a pistol in a thigh holster.

There was thread here about that, but I can't find it right now.
Thats what I was thinking. The tasers I've seen were very glock-like, plastic is a given but the grip angle looked simular was well. I've never done a side by side comparison though, so I may be mistaken.

Here in Asheville the tasers I've seen were carried cross-draw, where the collapsable baton would be found on other officers I've met within the department. I think theyve also got the yellow/black striped handle, but I still did a double-take the first time I saw one.

Evil_Ed
November 19, 2004, 10:29 AM
The tasers issued to our local Police here in Melbourne have handles almost identical in shape to a glock handle, just in a bright neon yellow color to avoid confusion.

JamisJockey
November 19, 2004, 11:08 AM
The thing I noticed is that both are only wearing one kneepad....on thier right knee.

MrMurphy
November 19, 2004, 11:13 AM
Right handed guys generally go to their right knee in the kneeling position. So why wear two?

JamisJockey
November 19, 2004, 11:17 AM
Right handed guys generally go to their right knee in the kneeling position. So why wear two?
The shooter on the left appears to be left handed.....

George S.
November 19, 2004, 11:25 AM
The part that's visible appears to look like the ammo pouch on his belt. The M14 mag pouches hold two mags and if that is the only one on the belt, he could have an extra pouch under the shirt.

He is probably a squad sniper and there would certainly be reason to carry a fair amount of ammo for his weapon. IIRC, when GI's carried the M14 back in the early stages of Vietnam had at least two mag pouches on their web belts.

JamisJockey
November 19, 2004, 11:30 AM
He is probably a squad sniper
The Marines refer to it as a Designated Marksman
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marines/a/marmarksmen.htm
http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/7e931335d515626a8525628100676e0c/4c4d1c169ea86a1f8525627a0077d489?OpenDocument

TarpleyG
November 19, 2004, 12:10 PM
Might be a gas mask....

Greg

Jonathan
November 19, 2004, 12:29 PM
It's a McMillan stock, from the factory with that color scheme.

Anyone not familiar with the McMillan family and their history with regards to their personal involvement and support of the US military would do well to read up on it. Great people.

Lochaber
November 19, 2004, 01:24 PM
Knee pads are not comfy. I wear them for IPSC and 3gun shooting when the stage forces me to drop to a knew fast (or go prone) and it is not fun to wear them for long periods of time. My guess is that they wear one on the knee the prefer to put down first and toss the other one in their barracks.

Loch

AhmuqGB
November 19, 2004, 01:27 PM
it does look like an M9 holster under his shirt, but it may be just that, just the holster. That would preclude him from having to readjust his body armor when he is just hanging out at the firebase or safehouse. A lot of guys have multiple holsters for that reason. Why he wouldn't take the belt holster off when not in use is a little odd, maybe he's just lazy :)

B36
November 19, 2004, 07:45 PM
Many rifleman go to two knees--makes elevation [use of cover] easier.

Twenty years ago many cops carried two on the belt--not really new. Ask any old Chicago or Lake county Indiana cop. :)

Jesse308
November 19, 2004, 08:40 PM
The picture shows more detail when it appeared in the paper. I could be wrong but the object on his belt appeared to be the end of a flap-holster.

greg700
November 19, 2004, 09:14 PM
Could he have a second pistol for crossdraw while in a vehicle? I don't think he would be able to get to his primary holster very quickly while sitting in that humvee.

Jeff White
November 19, 2004, 10:21 PM
It does look like an M12 holster on his trousers belt. It could very well be that he simply picked up the other pistol (the one on his LBV) from another soldier who was being medevaced. I don't know what the policy is in his unit, but weapons are often retained at unti level when a soldier is medevaced. The weapon belongs to the unit and it' makes accounting for them much easier, especially when the injured soldier may be placed on a helicopter and totally bypass the battalion aid station.

Just a thought....

Jeff

KFD147
November 21, 2004, 12:19 PM
The bag on his belt is most likely a NVG bag. If you notice, he has a mounting rig on his helmet and the bag is pointed or tapers. It is on the right side due to it being kind of bulky and it does not get in the way back there when not in use. GO 1ST CAV!!!!! :)

Enjoy
Jason :cool:

ceetee
November 21, 2004, 10:43 PM
BUt speaking about carrying two duty pistols...I know a Deputy Sheriff that carries two Glocks; one 3 o'clock, and one 9 o'clock-crossdraw.

He rides a hog off duty, has that stereotypical 60-pounds-overweight look that shouts out "biker". I can guarantee you that he's no poser. That second Glock is NOT a taser.

I never asked him about it. Knowing him, I know he has his reasons.

4v50 Gary
November 21, 2004, 10:46 PM
At $524 a stock, I'll pass. BTW, it's a good idea to carry a secondary weapon. It was not unknown for British snipers of WW II to carry a Sten gun in addition to their rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "U.S. Soldier with two sidearms!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!