PK-01V Red Dot on AR-180B

PDA

Dave Markowitz
November 18, 2004, 09:34 PM
After seeing my friend Frank's AR-180B with a red dot on it using a B-Square mount I had to get one. I couldn't find the mount on B-Square's sight but MidwayUSA had a couple in stock so I got one from them, along with a set of medium-height 30mm rings. (The mount comes with 1" rings but the PK-01V sight has a 30mm tube.)

The mount and rings came today and I got them on the rifle tonight. The proprietary AR-180/AR-180B scope mount base may not be as standard as a Picatinny rail, but it's handy! With the optics attached to the sight, you can attach the mount to the rifle (or remove it) in about 3 seconds, without tools. It slides on and off, and is held on by a spring loaded plunger that bears against the rear sight base, forcing it into the dovetail welded to the rifle's receiver. It's a slick setup, IMO. While the dot sight is too high to co-witness with the irons, I don't think this is much of a problem due to the ease of removal should it become necessary.

Here's a pic (sorry for the poor quality, I took the pic with my new phone :) ).

If you enjoyed reading about "PK-01V Red Dot on AR-180B" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Grand Inquisitor
November 18, 2004, 09:46 PM
How expensive is the set up? I love my AR180B and I'd like to get some type of optic sort of optic on it but I had been told only the Armalite proprietary scope and mount would properly work.

Dave Markowitz
November 18, 2004, 10:00 PM
The B-Square mount was $99 + shipping at Midway. They were running a sale on the B-Square 30mm rings (which you won't need if you have an optic with a 1" tube) for ~$5.95. MSRP on this mount is ~$150, btw.

I got the PK-01V earlier this year from Freedomoptic.com. It was ~$180 but they're sold out. You can order one directly from Belaru through Posp.ru (http://www.posp.ru/pr_i.html) for $155 delivered. That price includes a mount and rings to fit on an AK siderail. The included rings are offset, though, so they won't work with the B-Square mount.

If you enjoyed reading about "PK-01V Red Dot on AR-180B" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!