Bought a NIB Norinco 86S bullpup AK

PDA

The Grand Inquisitor
November 18, 2004, 10:16 PM
About a month ago I mentioned to my local gunshop owner (who is a class guy) that I saw one of the Norinco 86S AK bullpups online (saw it on the California DOJ site under banned rifles) and I thought they were pretty slick, he mentioned off hand he had one in the back in the box never touched since the late 80's. Well, I think he mentioned this to inform me rather than try to sell it to me, because over the past month I have been lobbying him trying to get him to sell it to me, and with a little struggle, he finally gave it up - for a little more than I would have liked, but I got it and I'm happy I did.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/type86s.jpg

[URL=http://world.guns.ru/assault/as28-e.htm]http://world.guns.ru/assault/type86s.jpg

(old Max doesn't think too highly of the 86S...but I think it's just a Russian-Chinese thing...)

It's a pretty strange looking rifle, but I dig the bullpups, and I really love to get unique rifles, and I try to collect unique AK's, and this is about the rarest AK variant there is. There are between 500 and 1100 86S' in the country (slipped in just before the ban) and I am very happy to have this one which has a serial number well below #100 and also beautifully new and with its shipping box.

For as much as I wish I could take this out to the range and really get some practice with it, I am probably going to take it to the range this weekend and shoot a fe rounds thorugh it, and then it is going back home to the box for quite a while.

I'm proud to actually own one of the very rarest modern military rifles in this country (well...lets not get crazy here...) and also to have such a pristine rare AK variant.

I'll make a post this weekend to report on how it performs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought a NIB Norinco 86S bullpup AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
natedog
November 18, 2004, 10:45 PM
Very cool!

Kilgor
November 19, 2004, 12:42 AM
What is the doohicky on top of it? You are right, it is ugly.

Congrats!

natedog
November 19, 2004, 01:03 AM
I think the doo-hickey is the sight rail/carrying handle. Beneath that is the charging handle.

The Grand Inquisitor
November 19, 2004, 01:24 AM
Nate is correct.

Under the carry handle there is the charging handle. I haven't fully gone over it yet (tommarow) but one of the things I have noticed is that the the charging handle is much different internally - and you really notice the difference when you look at the piston with the handle back.

The 86S is pretty much an AK transformed into a bullpup, but the internals are modified to accomidate the different form. I'm not too sure how to explain it all quite yet, but I know there is a rotating bolt (wrong terminology...agghhh!) which is unique to this AK mod.

I'll keep the 2 or 3 people who actually care posted on what I find as I dig through this thing and shoot it this weekend.

RevDisk
November 19, 2004, 02:24 AM
Interesting weapon. How does it shoot?

The Grand Inquisitor
November 19, 2004, 02:38 AM
I think I'm going to the range on Sunday and I'll let you guys know then. IT has never been handled much at all, ever, so no one has fired it and I am very excited to see how it will be.

I'll probably but 50 or so rounds through it to get an idea about how it shoots, but I more or less want to preserve it.

Also- I just remembered: I was playing with it's VERY weird flash hider when I realized it has a little give and I noticed it screwed off and has an excellently threaded barrel.
This is my first threaded barrell.

Logan5
November 19, 2004, 02:55 AM
So it's a bullpup 56S, pretty much?

sjeccles
November 19, 2004, 09:08 AM
Glad you were able to purchase the weapon. I must say it was fun watching you Negotiate the price with Rog. Kind of makes a guy wonder what else he has stashed in the back room. I learned a long time ago to ask what else he has . A quick note about another subject we discussed- I belive Bushmaster is no longer producing the bullpup but A shop up by Cedar Rapids has one. And after seeing the picture of it I'm not sure how intrested I still am.I hope you enjoy shooting your new weapon this weekend.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought a NIB Norinco 86S bullpup AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!