Ruger Single Six .32 Magnum

PDA

jdwolf
November 19, 2004, 05:44 AM
I'm interested in a Ruger Single Six .32 Magnum revolver. I'm not talking about the "Baby Vaquero', I'm interested in the Single Six Ruger discontinued in 1997.

I have a few questions concerning this gun & ammo if I may.

What barrel lengths was this revolver available in?

How much is a good used one worth?

Is .32 Magnum ammo hard to come by?

I'm a varmit hunter (mainly Coyotes) and plan on using the Ruger .32 Magnum for that purpose. Does it pack enough punch to down a Coyote with one shot?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Single Six .32 Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kjaniak
November 19, 2004, 08:01 AM
Well I do not have one but I do have the SP101 in .32 H&R Mag. In my area of the country (northeast Ohio), I can find the Federal ammo for the most part but only a few boxes (2 or 3) at each gun shop. Seems most of them only carry the 85 grain JHP and not the 95 grain LWC. I have been paying anywhere from $7.99 a box to $10.99 a box (20 rounds). What I usually do is stock up at the gun shows if I find it at a good price and then grab a box or two here and there when I do run out to a gun shop. The ammo is expensive and you can't find it at the Wallmarts of the world. That being said....I still love mine and it gets shot often.

RCL
November 19, 2004, 08:18 AM
I have two of these, a 4 5/8" that I just got and haven't shot yet, and a 9 1/2" that I have had for a couple of years now. I don't really know if they were available in any other barrel lengths.
I have seen several of the short barrel .32, but the 9 1/2 is the only one I have ever seen around here. Did see one on Auction Arms several months ago, ended up going for around $400 if I'm not mistaken.
I use Federal ammo in the 9 1/2, don't reload for this one yet. There are a couple of other smaller ammo makers loading this round also. The Federal load I use is loaded with a 85 grain XTP. It is one hole accurate at 20 yards. I would think there should be no problem downing a coyote with the proper shot placement.

jdwolf
November 19, 2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info.

Byron
November 19, 2004, 07:17 PM
I have a 6 1/2 barrel i mine and it is accurate. As indicated one hole groups are the norm at 20 and 25. I have loaded for this cartridge for years.Find a March 1991 issue of Shooting Times and there is some great loading data ffor stronger guns in 32 H&R. Byron

Jim K
November 19, 2004, 08:46 PM
According to the Gun Digests at the time, the gun was available in barrel lengths of 4 5/8, 5 1/2, 6 1/2 and 9 1/2 inches.

You can also fire .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long in guns chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum. In a pinch, you can even fire .32 ACP. As Byron says, the .32 H&R Magnum can be loaded up for that Ruger, coming out at near .38 Special power.

Jim

jdwolf
November 20, 2004, 05:22 AM
I'd love to get one of the 6 1/2 inch barrel Rugers. I hear they've become somewhat of a collector's item and command big bucks.

I've also heard the .22 Ruger Single Six can be re-bored and re-chambered to .32 H&R Magnum. I have a .22 Single Six and I'm considering having it done. Is this a good idea or bad one?

RCL
November 20, 2004, 07:05 AM
It's an expensive idea, because you also have to convert the gun from rimfire to centerfire. I do believe there are smiths doing this conversion though.

BlkHawk73
November 20, 2004, 10:39 AM
I too would like to get one. Saw a 6 1/2" model a while back at a shop. Told wife about it and she actually offered to buy it for me right then. Too late to make the 1 hr drive so checked 3 days later - GONE. was priced at $300 and in pretty good shape - maybe 90% maybe someday they'll bring these fine guns back.

jdomin
November 21, 2004, 09:48 AM
450. :rolleyes:

Jim March
November 21, 2004, 12:38 PM
Georgia Arms has a pretty good load in 32Mag. Both cheaper and hotter than the Federal.

There's a fair number of 32Mag 2" barrel 6-shot snubbies by Taurus and S&W floating around. Ruger even did up some SP101s like that, in 2" and I think 4" barrels.

Both Cor-Bon and Texas Ammo have experimented with hot defense loads for these. Both withdrew initial offerings for "lack of sales" :rolleyes:. With little decent ammo available, the gun sales suffer. Taurus or S&W oughta do joint marketing and R&D with an ammo house...S&W did this with Cor-Bon on the 500 but it's still a rare concept.

Anyways. Cor-Bon took a 60grain Gold Dot meant for 32ACP and drove it at "warp speed", up past 1,200 in a 4.68" Ruger Single Six. Texas Ammo had an 85grain JHP, I forget which projectile, set up to do 1,000fps from a 2" barrel :D.

A careful handloader could duplicate these.

iluvG.R.I.T.S
November 21, 2004, 01:31 PM
Jim your right Ruger offers the SP in 32 mag but only as the 4" with adjustable sights for windage.Which is a hell of a little shooter. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-2/657161/32magnum.jpg

only1asterisk
November 21, 2004, 02:02 PM
Both the sp101 and j-frames were made in 3" as well.

David

zeke
November 22, 2004, 06:49 AM
Just took possesion of 6 1/2 ss, blued. Been looking for one for years. Almost brand new, and $280 out the door. Have to load some up for it. Hodgen has data for using Lil-gun and jacketed bullets. Tried some speer 100 gn jhp, at 1100 fps from 4 in Sp-101.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Single Six .32 Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!