Why are we so concerned about "Stars"

PDA

Croyance
February 28, 2003, 01:13 AM
Really, this question has been bugging me for quite some time. Beyond the fact that too many in the masses actually listen to what "stars" think, why do we care? Even for those who are on our side of an issue(in this case the RKBA and civil rights issues). IT never seemed to me that an actor, singer, or athlete was very well educated in anything. Many times not even their own proffesion.
It seems like the flip side of the masses preoccupation with celebrity. We focus on the fact that they disagree with our beliefs. We ask who endorses our beliefs. Each person has an opinion, and unfortunately the media outlets create "stars" and let them expound on their thoughts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why are we so concerned about "Stars"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pilgrim
February 28, 2003, 02:03 AM
The author Robert Heinlein had an interesting comment about a society that pays attention to what actors and athletes say, thinking that because they make so much money they are worth listening to. It wasn't very complimentary of society.

CZ-75
February 28, 2003, 02:07 AM
Why do people care what "stars" think.

For starters, just being seen often enough makes a lot of people think you have "something special," which leads to a certain credibility. Unfortunately, that "something special" is often only a pretty face.

Second, a lot of folks want some glamour, since kids, a car payment and a mortgage aren't; anyone they associate with that can do no wrong.

Third, many people have heads just as empty as the so-called "stars" that some of us pan. Seeing and hearing the "stars" and their message fills the otherwise empty space.

Last, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV" syndrome. Some folks think Martin Sheen is president, so they believe him when he speaks some drivel about the war, economics, social issues, etc.

Blackhawk
February 28, 2003, 02:21 AM
They're professional phonies at best and mere entertainers. I'm not familiar with any who have become stars due to their intellect.

Wildalaska
February 28, 2003, 02:22 AM
Whats a "star"

4570Rick
February 28, 2003, 03:26 AM
Because these leftist miscreants, these sycophants, these blatherskites have a public forum from which they vomit their elitist mantra to the masses who don’t know the difference between reality and make believe, [Taking a breath] and we don't. :cuss: :banghead: :fire: :barf:

shu
February 28, 2003, 05:48 AM
'Scuse me. I thought this was going to be a thread about astronomy.

But since you tricked me in here... It's just the media hyping itself. The only people who pay attention are the ones who have time for it. Same reason Rush works on radio and Opra works on TV; you can listen to radio while you work, but you cannot watch TV while you work.

Kahr carrier
February 28, 2003, 06:26 AM
Im not even concerned myself ,there just people like everyone else they just got lucky or in the right place at the right time.:)

johnr
February 28, 2003, 07:05 AM
IMO, their opinion should not count more or less than yours or mine- but in fact, they do.

Unfortunately, our culture take hints and signals from these people very seriously- the entertainment arm of the "media" tells people what's cool, what's not, what to laugh at, what to take seriously.

DFBonnett
February 28, 2003, 04:53 PM
I don't think that the general public cares an inordinate amount about what stars think, but they will stay tuned until the next commercial which is the objective of commercial television. Hence the reason that these pantloads' opinions are sought by the media.

El Tejon
February 28, 2003, 05:03 PM
I care about Jennifer Garner, Monica Potter, Ms. Theron, etc, et al.:D

firestar
February 28, 2003, 05:09 PM
The only "Stars" I care about are the ones that come from Eibar Spain.:D

braindead0
February 28, 2003, 05:24 PM
They're just people, I've met my share (George Takai, James Hong, and one who's name I can't say anymore cause he's about the biggest moron I've ever met..you may remember him from such movies as..the entire Evil Dead series)...

I wouldn't be suprised if they themselves wonder.... "why is that reporter asking me?" Lucky for me, I don't watch any E channel..so I don't care what they say.. ;-)

JohnKSa
February 28, 2003, 09:41 PM
I've met a few actors in person. Almost invariably they are smaller than you expect and don't look nearly as good without their makeup.

I don't care about actors have to say about politics or social situations any more than I care to hear my garbage man's views about theological problems or military strategy. Most actors don't have enough sense to come in out of the rain, and have either cultivated very odd views or have been warped by constant exposure to idiots and wackos.

I RESPECT Brad Pitt--not because he's anything special or is smarter than the rest, but because he doesn't pretend to be something he's not. After doing a movie about China (can't remember the title) he was being interviewed and was asked about the social situation in China. He replied something to the effect: "Why would I know anything about that? I'm just a (expletive deleted) actor. Ask me something about the movie."

XLMiguel
March 1, 2003, 11:24 AM
My own theory is that people who have ordinary lives seek to live vicariously through those more accomplished is a field of endeavor that they admire, and there's nothing wrong with that, (it's normal, even).

People with really dull lives seek out the glamorous, they envy the attention the 'celebrities' get. Of course, those who go into 'show business' seem to have weak egos and also crave lots of attention and validation, and enjoy the gratification when they get to show off. Those who are successful (for what ever reason, and remember, no one ever went broke underestmating the vulgarity of the American public -), seem to think they've been validated and therefore their effluvia lacks aroma. The weak minds that admire them buy into their crap. Symbiosis in action. Our buddy Rosie O is a good example of a bad example - how else could a common guttersnipe get that rich and have her own TV show, magazine, & fan club??

Check out http://www.hollywoodhalfwits.com/ - you won't find a whole lot of intellectual horsepower there, let alone significant academic or professional credentials, though some do work hard at their craft. If it weren't for 'celebrity', most of those folks would be extremely ordinary, if not downright mediocre. JMNSHO.

Ol' Badger
March 1, 2003, 11:41 AM
I'll fallow Nicole Kidman anywhere and belive in what ever she says :D
As matter a fact, I'm falllowing her right know. Oh Nicole Oh Nicole come to Papa.... <drouling>

4v50 Gary
March 1, 2003, 11:53 AM
While many of us don't care what a star says, many of our "peers" do. L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology (make me rich and tax free), always pushed to recruit stars since having them would legitimize his operation. He's got Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Kirsty Alley and a few others shucking out bucks to be "cleared" of their problems.

Kaylee
March 1, 2003, 11:58 AM
there just people like everyone else they just got lucky or in the right place at the right time.

feh. acting is a skill like any other, and most (not all) of the Hollywood types are darn good at it. And if the actors I've met at the lower levels are any indictation, it wasn't luck that got the current crop to the top of the heap. I can respect even the nutcases as the professionals they are. I couldn't do Martin Sheen's job half as well as he can.

That said, they spend all day in a deliberately constructed fantasy world before coming home to a community isolated from the rest of the country. They don't live in reality as we know it, and so form some pretty wacked-out views... to say nothing of a self-perpetuating culture of narcissim of the highest degree. Think about it -- how self-absorbed and careful with your appearance would *you* be if your career involved getting up in front of tens of millions of people on a regular basis?

I rather suspect that all this "turn the world into Utopia" nonsense is the result of some guilt at living such self-absorbed lives, and trying to find some balance. White Guilt writ large, basically.

As to why the people at large tend to take them seriously.... guh. My guess is that people just like to be reaffirmed in their prejudices by people they perceive as authority figures.

-K

Sisco
March 1, 2003, 12:12 PM
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, no one opinion should be more important than another.
What irks me about "stars" is using their celebrity to express their opinions. Does anyone here think for one minute that you or I could get an appearance on the Today show or any other program to express ourselves?
These people need to remember they are merely actors; court jesters performing for our entertainment.
If each and every one of them disappeared from the face of the earth tomorrow how much would they really be missed?
I think we'd miss the garbage collectors, ditch diggers, carpenters, mechanics, nurses & doctors a whole lot more.

Bob Locke
March 1, 2003, 10:17 PM
I think we'd miss the garbage collectors, ditch diggers, carpenters, mechanics, nurses & doctors a whole lot more.
And power plant operators! :D

We're "concerned" about stars because the media thinks we ought to be. Talking about Who's Who sells copy, which sells advertising, which increases the fame of the Who's Who, which allows the circle to continue. The more weird and out there you are, the more coverage you get (see: Michael Jackson).

It seems to me that the farther up the success ladder most of these folks travel, the more disconnected they become from reality. It's almost impossible for them to lead what most of us would consider a "normal" life, and I think a LOT of them sort of resent it that they can't go to work and then home to the family without flashbulbs popping in their faces 24/7.

I really prefer my reatively quiet (as quiet as it can be with 4 kids under the age of 10 :D) life, to be honest.

Hunt Greer
March 2, 2003, 12:43 AM
:D Please, Pilgrim, do favor us with Heinkein's words on celebrity! I have just about everything I can find by Him and I can't seem to recall whatever it is You're referring to!!!

Lone Star
March 2, 2003, 08:53 AM
I respect Stars more than I do Llamas or Astras...well, you knew that some wiseacre would say that. May as well be me...

Hey: someone above mentioned Charlize Theron. Interesting choice, and not just she's a major babe/blonde. Her mother shot her father to death one night when he tried to kill her and Charlize while in a drunken rage. The local magistrate's court (Benoni, South Africa) ruled that the death was justifiable homicide.

But I doubt that we'll see Charlize (who now speaks English with an American accent) saying anything pro gun. It would ruin her career, and her pals are now mainly Hollyweird types. Oh: her mom, Gerta,
lives near her now in LA.

I do respect a few stars. I've read Charlton Heston's autobiography, "In the Arena", and he had both a college education as an actor and seems aware of the basic American issues to a FAR greater degree than lightweights like the Baldwins, Streisand, etc. He also has a pretty good grasp of history, and is a veteran (Army Air Corps, WW II).

But these people ARE mainly just actors. I belong to the official "The Lost World" forum, sponsored by the producers for the syndicated TV show. We had an interview with Will Snow, who plays Lord Roxton. Someone asked him about the guns he uses (good choices, too, for the era) and he replied that he knows nothing about guns; he just points them where the director says to. I assume the prop people choose the guns, and go with what's appropriate and available in Queensland (Australia) prop houses.

The rub is that stars do lead glamorous lives (in between busts for cocaine sniffing, etc.) and they do earn a lot, and are vastly familiar. They have what TR called a "bully pulpit". I feel sure that they do influence Susie Housewife, who watches entirely too much Opra. And Susie votes! Aaargh!

Lone Star

Lone Star
March 2, 2003, 08:56 AM
Juan Hunt Greer-

Senor Greer, methinks that you're confusing Robert A. Heinlein with a Dutch beer. Check your spelling, which has elements of both...

Lone Star ;)

Tamara
March 2, 2003, 09:56 AM
...I don't seem to have that "celebrity gene". I am constantly describing movies to people as being "The movie with that guy in it. You know, that guy who was in the other movie with what's-her-face and that other dude." This makes it difficult for me to watch war movies, as they're just a bunch of vaguely similar-looking guys in green suits running about. ("Oh, crap. Tamara, who was that that just got shot?" "It was that guy who was in the other movie with that chick from that TV show.") On the upside, it makes it darned difficult for me to get too excited about anything that guy says about gun control. You know that guy, he was in the other movie with that other guy who talked funny...

;)

Hunt Greer
March 2, 2003, 10:43 PM
:eek: Yes, Lone Star, I actually know how to spell the name of my favorite author, But a touch-typist I am NOT, and the "k" and the "l" ARE next to each other on the keyboard! :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Why are we so concerned about "Stars"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!