Red Dot for AR: C-more or Aimpoint

PDA

Smiley
February 28, 2003, 02:47 AM
C-more Tactical for $369
Pro: Prallex freee, also the back-up iron sight for my flat top. ( I really like this big pro) this model is its own Mount so no extra cost.
Con: seems like that small ring on top of the gun would be fairly easy to break should you drop it once.
http://www.thegunsource.com/scopes/cmore.htm

Aimpoint ML2 for $399 with mount.
Pro: Parallex free Seems much tougher than C-more
Cons: cost is extra for Iron sight and Im not sure about its use with AImpoint. Do I have to take it off to use the Iron sights?
http://www.alscustom.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=8119&cat=4&PHPSESSID=90a0dba01ed569deb3e0b5b922f40b73

What have you got and what are your opinions and experiences?

If you enjoyed reading about "Red Dot for AR: C-more or Aimpoint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ocabj
February 28, 2003, 12:41 PM
I personally have an Aimpoint CompML2 on a forward carry handle mount with the Aimpoint Quick Release ring. I can still use the iron sights. The sight line is right near the bottom of the optics. I haven't seen an Aimpoint on a flat top receiver personally, but I would think the iron sights would be more towards the center (on the vertical plane) than on a forward carry handle mount.

Your AR didn't originally come with iron sights?

curt
February 28, 2003, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure what you meant about the backup iron sight with your cmore. I have an aimpoint with a ARMS#40 backup iron sight on my flattop. Works great. I would recommend a backup sight with any optic for a rifle that might be used for defensive purposes. Optics, espeacially the battery powered kind go bad and murphy is alive and well.

Couple of things to consider about the cmor: it uses a projector which means that any little dirt or whatever that gets in that pit that the dot is projected out of stops the dot, Yeah its fragile thats probably one reason why the military doesn't use them (not really a factor unless your life or a lot of money may ride on it), there are no covers to protect the glass (or get in your way either).

Either of them if the battery dies can be used as a big ghost ring for CQB otherwise they are useless.

gun-fucious
February 28, 2003, 01:30 PM
heres some good reviews:
http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/opticssights.msnw

Smiley
February 28, 2003, 03:10 PM
Thanks everyone, looks like the Aimpoint is the winner.

Rockrivr1
February 28, 2003, 09:50 PM
The Aimpoint is a good choice. I have an older Aimpoint ML that is forward mounted and has the quick disconnect. It works great and it keeps zero without a problem. The 3 MOA dot is a definate plus and the multiple light setting are pretty good.

Maybe it's just me but the thing just looks good mounted over the handgaurd.

IMHO of course.

JStordahl
March 1, 2003, 01:18 PM
Smiley: For Aimpoints check www.sableco.net Great service, excellent prices. My Aimpoint M2 is mounted on the flattop with an extended SWAN sleeve with the fold down rear sight. The ring/mount is an M68-22 throw lever from ARMS. www.mountsplus.com is another excellent source for ARMS products.

If you enjoyed reading about "Red Dot for AR: C-more or Aimpoint" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!