Somebody answer a completely stupid and most likely moot question re: AR15

PDA

cslinger
November 19, 2004, 06:54 PM
Which way should the castle nut be positioned on an AR15 with a collapsible stock?

I have always assembled with the cuts/wrench holes facing towards the receiver.

I have recently seen various pictures with the castle nut with those cuts/wrench holes oriented away from the receiver facing towards the stock.

So which is it and does it matter?

Thanks
Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Somebody answer a completely stupid and most likely moot question re: AR15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kaylee
November 19, 2004, 07:55 PM
The M4 stocks have a "new and improved" nut.
The new wrenches for said nut engage three nuts at once, and need to slide back into the cuts.

Thus, new stock nuts must have the cuts facing towards the butt. On the older ones, I can't see as it really matters.

Badger Arms
November 19, 2004, 08:29 PM
Right, but if you don't have one of them tools, it doesn't really matter functionally. Here's some official photo's of Air Force M4's in SOF and Secruity Forces hands.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18593&stc=1

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18594&stc=1

Kaylee
November 19, 2004, 09:20 PM
tee.. I stand corrected Badger. I just saw a civvie M4 set up that very way about um... half an hour ago now?

Do I have to smash an egg against my head now? :)

cslinger
November 19, 2004, 10:40 PM
So basically the newer ones go towards the back the older towards the front but functionally it doesn't matter. I have mine facing front and have no issues.

So it really doesn't matter.

Harry Tuttle
November 19, 2004, 10:55 PM
TM9-1005-319-23

CARBINE ONLY
6A. Lubricate threads of lower receiver (5.1) and lower receiver extension (5.2) with molybdenum
(item 19, app D) before reassembly.
6B. Pre-position the spring (5.3) and buffer retainer (5.4) into the retaining hole of the lower receiver
locking nut (5.5) onto the lower receiver extension (5.1) with the three notches on the locking
forward.
6C. Align the receiver end plate (5.6) onto the lower receiver extension (5.2) with the lug of the receiver
(5.6) facing forward.
6D. Pre-position the takedown pin (5.7), detent (5 8), and spring (5.9) in lower receiver assembly (5.1).
6E. Push down on the buffer retainer (5.4) and spring (5.3) and at the same time, screw the lower receiver
(5.2) in until it retains the buffer retainer (5 4) in position.
6F. Align the lug of the receiver end plate (5.6) into the rear of the lower receiver (5.1). Screw the
forward until it contacts the receiver end plate (5.6).
6G. Using the special tool (Item 12, app C) tighten the locking nut (5.5) until snug.
6H. Using the special tool (item 12, app C), and torque wrench, torque locking nut (5.5) to 40 ±2 inch
6J. Stake the receiver end plate (5.6) in 2 places across from the notches in the locking nut (5.5).

Badger Arms
November 19, 2004, 11:52 PM
Harry:

I looked at the manual, and those instructions apply to the OLD style nut, not the newer castle nut. As tight as you can tighten the castle nut, I doubt that any staking would be required EVER. In fact, it might be instructive to find out what the MAXIMUM torque specifications are for this particular nut.

Jeff White
November 20, 2004, 03:57 PM
Badger,
My copy of TM9-1005-319-23&P is only current to change 7. I understand that there is a change 8 in the field now. I can't find anything that differentiates between the old and new nuts. In fact only the new castle nut has a part number. As far as I know there are no M4s, not even the original ones bought in 1986 with the old style nut. Colt changed over to the new type on their commerical weapons a year earlier in 1985 when they went with the first all plastic collapsible stock.

Every M4, M4A1 and Colt commercial model AR15 type (to include my R6920 LE Carbine) has the castle nut staked just as the TM calls for. I'm not an engineer, so I won't argue that the additional torque you can get with the castle nut doesn't make staking the nut redundent. But it's still called for in the TM and Colt is still shipping all their rifles with collapsible stocks with the castle nut staked.

Jeff

If you enjoyed reading about "Somebody answer a completely stupid and most likely moot question re: AR15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!