What DON'T you like about shooting/guns?

PDA

swingset
February 28, 2003, 02:28 AM
We often hear gripes but mostly we're all into the hobby for life - but I'm curious what rubs everyone about our interest? Like all hobbies, it has it's downsides.

Here's my short list:

1. Too addictive, not enough money! Too many guns I want, the realization I can never have them all and the urge to buy more often outweighs my common sense.

2. I don't like the fact that my hobby is so loathed by so many. It sometimes is hard to enjoy a hobby that defending is a lifelong mission, and the feeling that you're literally under attack for enjoying it. My other hobby is guitars, and I admit it's nice to own something no one wants to take away from me (tho if they heard me, they might!).

3. I don't like the "splintering" of gun afficianados. A gun owner is a good thing, period, and I don't dislike skeet shooters or race-gun guys - even though I'm a C&R junkie. All guns are a thing of beauty to me, but that's not a shared sentiment. I don't like the badmouthing we do to each other or the notion that the only good use for a gun is the one we have.

4. Whining here, but I really don't like cleaning guns much. Yeah, it's part of the experience, but I ask you - if you could never climb the hill and just enjoy the sledding down it, wouldn't it be funner? Yeah, it's nice to maintain your guns and I do, but it always takes up more time than the shooting.

5. I wish they were silent sometimes. I don't like wearing hearing protection, even tho I never go without. It'd be so nice if guns were all really quiet, if for no other reason than I could shoot whenever I wanted without disturbing someone and the ranges would be much easier to deal with. Being beside a Hakim at the range is an altogether unpleasant feeling. Being behind the trigger is a different matter! :D

What's everyone's sore points about guns and using them?

If you enjoyed reading about "What DON'T you like about shooting/guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jsalcedo
February 28, 2003, 03:39 AM
Its all the friggin rules about where to shoot, how to carry,
shipping guns, buying guns across state lines, opening a gunshop.

Thats what I don't like.

I'm not sure if folks took guns and shooting for granted pre 1968
or pre 1934.

Schuey2002
February 28, 2003, 03:43 AM
The drain on thee old wallet..:evil:

Wildalaska
February 28, 2003, 03:51 AM
Haulin em to the range, haulin em home, cleaning them...

WildlazyAlaska

BamBam-31
February 28, 2003, 03:54 AM
Call me crazy, but I actually enjoy cleaning my guns. After a hard day's work, I unwind by oiling the stocks on my C&R's, conditioning the leather slings, running some Tetra oil down the bores, etc. Sometimes even more enjoyable than actually shooting them. Solvents stink, though. That's probably the worst part.

T.Stahl
February 28, 2003, 04:24 AM
I really don't like the passive smoking in the club house. ;)

Pendragon
February 28, 2003, 04:43 AM
Cleaning.

I dont mind it so much for my self - but the solvents offend the wife and I worry about our little one breathing the fumes.

This stresses me and does not allow me to do the thourough job I want to do.

Airwolf
February 28, 2003, 05:21 AM
So many to get... So few $$$ to spend.

Loading/unloading the vehicle for the range trip.

Stupid political BS laws that keep me from buying what I want.

Kahr carrier
February 28, 2003, 06:34 AM
The ignorant people at the range that ignore safety rules.

Hal
February 28, 2003, 07:10 AM
--- Far and away , the top of the list. ---

Declining skill.

Unbelievably frustrating:banghead:

So much so that I've all but given up shooting.

Deadman
February 28, 2003, 08:00 AM
Whether civilian or military, having to shoot to someone else's ideals. Ie shoot x distance now or shoot x no. of rounds now.
Not just due to excessive rules and regulations but also due to the format of the particular 'shoot'.

I just wish there was somewhere where I could shoot as I please in a safe manner.

Pappy John
February 28, 2003, 08:13 AM
pickin' up all that brass...

Kreed
February 28, 2003, 08:16 AM
swingset,

I have to agree with every one of the items you list in your post starting this thread.

Add to that the fact that between work, home, wife & kids -- I don't have anywhere near the time I'd really like to get out and do some shootin'! :p

80fl
February 28, 2003, 08:46 AM
The noise and the smell.

Oh wait, I thought the question was: "What is it you don't like about kids";)

Kreed
February 28, 2003, 08:55 AM
Hey, look at it this way -- when they get old enough to go out shootin' with you, they can load mags for ya. :)

Plus, if you bust enough caps (which I tend to do), any smell gets washed out by the sweet aroma of burning gunpowder!

Nathaniel Firethorn
February 28, 2003, 09:03 AM
* PRNJ :barf:

* Crowded ranges

* The occasional gunshop commando or wierdo

* Repairs

* Hidebound range/club rules that don't make sense

- pdmoderator

RNS
February 28, 2003, 09:20 AM
My wife. She has no interest in guns at all. She is my best friend in every way but when it comes to guns... Not really anti, just no interest.

Just once I would like to hear "Can I go with you to the range?" That woukd make my day.

Quantrill
February 28, 2003, 09:27 AM
Recoil of the really BIG guns, and cleaning is a pain. Quantrill

Carlos Cabeza
February 28, 2003, 09:42 AM
I agree with every point you made Swingset. The term gunshop/show wierdo is hard to define. It would depend on who is standing next to who at the show/shop and which state you reside in... In most cases, I could be described as a gunshop wierdo.:cool: I realy like taking the kiddos, they seem to love going to shoot and it makes them feel "grownup" to get to participate in such a high responsibility hobby. My niece has an impressive collection of spent cartridges and always gets someone at the range to give her different types.:)

Oleg Volk
February 28, 2003, 09:56 AM
#1 peeve is the needless hearing damage from un-suppresed guns. I notice that my ears have suffered despite faithful use of plugs AND muffs. I keep hoping that OSHA would sue BATF but no such luck. Henry Bowman hasn't been working regular hours, either.

Soap
February 28, 2003, 10:08 AM
#1- NFA/GCA/'94 etc.
#2- The fact that I have to defend myself against people who seek to prohibit my lifestyle

cslinger
February 28, 2003, 10:13 AM
The noise, the flash, the smell, the cleaning, hauling all the guns out, bringing them all home.

The biggest problem is too many guns too little money.

The laws are a pain and wrong but to be honest I think the fact that so many are against us brings us together and holds many of us to a higher standard than many other hobbies would. I guess I am just looking for the silver bullet in every cloud. :D

It's all good. All part of the experience. Shooting to me might mean shooting well one day or simply going out to hear the bang, see the flash and smell the smoke.

Boats
February 28, 2003, 10:20 AM
Loading mags is without a doubt my least favorite part. Whether setting up en blocs for the Garand or preloading 20 mags for the 1911, and stuffing the range bag and cans this is by far the worst.

Everytime I read one of these TEOTWAWKI threads about how people are going to hump a rifle and a shotgun and a pistol and a revolver and all of the ammo to keep 'em fed I think, "Mall ninja. Have you ever humped all that stuff to the range on foot before?"

In reality mag loading is only bad because that work goes downrange so quickly and then I have to stop and do it again.:D Maybe I should get a bolt gun and reload directly from the can? It would be like having a really slow 200 round mag.:D

Kreed
February 28, 2003, 10:24 AM
> Maybe I should get a bolt gun and reload directly from the can?

There you go. One nice thing about a bolt action is that your rate of fire never changes. :cool:

10-Ring
February 28, 2003, 10:37 AM
I dislike the expense & the fact that I can't purchase some guns because they are too evil or unsafe for me to own :banghead:

Unisaw
February 28, 2003, 10:47 AM
Picking up brass is my number 1 dislike.

Second would be the fact that there are too many guns I would like to buy.

Defending against ignorance is number 3. Example: some people seem to think that a holstered double action revolver could go off at any minute.

45R
February 28, 2003, 11:07 AM
Not being able to further my shooting horizons due to the restrictiojns placed on the good citizens of CA!!!!

lionken07
February 28, 2003, 11:08 AM
the whole waiting for your handgun license thing in NYC is really getting into me...

not to mention the $300+ you need to pay every 3 years to keep your guns...:(

OF
February 28, 2003, 11:30 AM
Having the whole experience slowed down due to artificially inflated costs from gov't regulation.

Taxes, red tape, licenses, laws, prohibitions. Why the hell can't I have an M4 for what the Army pays for them?

The growth of my experience and ability with select-fire weapons has been prevented by the gov't making it financially impossible for me the train properly with the weapons that it is my duty as an American to be familiar with.

That and the cleaning thing.

- Gabe

hansolo
February 28, 2003, 11:43 AM
Like all CA residents, most of my complaints would be solved if I moved to AZ: the whole issue whereby CA/DOJ extorts money from firearms manufactuers to do the "Drop Tests", making them legal to sell in CA. Where it REALLY gets ludicrous is, I can legally buy a particular handgun in ONE available finish, but since the manufacturer doesn't have the budget/desire to send handguns in ALL available finishes, the rest are off-limits!:fire: So, I can legally buy, let's say a CZ in Black Polycote, but NOT in Glossy Blue or Nickle :banghead: :cuss: We KNOW it is the SAME pistol, and if the BLACK gun survives 30 three-foot drops W/O firing a loaded round, the other finishes wouldn't either... Common sense VS California's extortion. Will Rodgers would take back his personal property(which his estate DONATED to CA to used as State Parks)if he knew what a bunch of idiots run this place.:barf:

Will Rogers never met Grey Davis.

BerettaNut92
February 28, 2003, 11:47 AM
9mm vs .45 debates :D

Sacrifices that were hard at first but were worth it, and no longer regret them:
1. Forced me to live an alert life--no more 'ignorance is bliss' and walking around all fine and dandy. Upgraded to condition yellow pants.
2. Movies sucked and 'actors' lose all credibility ever since I learned safe gun handling.
3. Guns are lovely theft items. See item 1.
4. Friends being scared of you because you own gun(s). Then again they're not worth having as friends anyway.
5. I actually have to concern myself with civil liberties now.

cheygriz
February 28, 2003, 11:49 AM
There are many things that bug me, especially antis and Nazi gun laws.

But what bugs me worst of all are the SNOBS!!!!! THE ANTI-GUN SHOOTERS AND GUN OWNERS!!!

If you happen to like 1911s, more power to you. But don't constantly attack people who prefer something else, and don't constantly carp and whine about those "evil high capacity magazines.". The same applies to the .45 ACP cartyridge, the .308 Winchester cartridge, the 12 ga. shotgun etc.

If you like *(AND CAN AFFORD)* $10,000 plus custom shotguns and rifles, fine, but don't come to the same range that I use and start yelling me because: "All guns are going to be outlawed pretty soon, snd you damned idiots with those useless handguns and those criminal, evil, black military rifles are to blame."

One real "gun nut" at my club probably has $150,000 worth of fancy custom rifles and shotguns. This "A-H" never misses a chance to accuse the NRA of supporting criminals! According to this worthy, no honest man needs a rifle or shotgun that holds more than three rounds. And handguns should be outlawed altogether, or at the verry least, the government should restrict cylinder/magazine capacity to six rounds.

With friends like him, who needfs enemies?

ocabj
February 28, 2003, 11:57 AM
Definitely the cleaning. I clean after every session and I usually bring 2-3 guns with me every time so it gets pretty strenous as a post-range activity. sigh... small price to pay to make sure the guns last a long time.

PATH
February 28, 2003, 11:59 AM
It is all good. Shooting is all good! 'Nuff said!;)

hso
February 28, 2003, 12:03 PM
noise

cost

Viking6
February 28, 2003, 12:17 PM
1. Cleaning, I do it; don't like it, especially after firing Turkish 8mm.

2. Finding ammo (for instance, other than "Turkish" 8mm) locally that's not tres (oops, no french) mui expensive, e.g 44 special.

3. The act of going to the range-- loading everything up without looking like you're preparing to repel boarders.

4. Defending my right to do something that is in NO way harmful to anyone else because otherwise good people can't tell the difference between an honest gun-owner and a thug

5. But the balance sheet still favors keeping'em (just like the kids)

Tamara
February 28, 2003, 12:45 PM
What DON'T you like about shooting/guns?

Hang on, I'm thinking...

Um...

Still thinking...

There must be something... :uhoh:

bogie
February 28, 2003, 12:47 PM
Hernias.

Back problems.

Upkeep on my 3/4 ton van.

Did I mention that I shoot benchrest?

Silver Bullet
February 28, 2003, 01:18 PM
Cleaning.

Having to wait while I save for the next purchase.

Everything else is good, including the "noise and smell."

ImJustRick
February 28, 2003, 01:43 PM
I really dislike the comments about how I'm a paranoid gun nut just because I carry. :uhoh:

The other thing (let the flaming commence) is that because I'm not the typical gun owner (vegetarian, atheist, fairly liberal), I'm on the outs with "my" people and most of the "gun people" too. I vote libertarian, I think Bush is out of his mind, I buy "green" products. This is an anomaly amongst the average THR / TFL people. But owning guns is bizarre to the typical non-leather-wearing, non-meant-eating types.

Oh, and here in Seattle, I'm not all that fond of the people who work in the local shops. They're either rude, snobs, or treat me like I'm 11 (uh, which I'm not).

-R

Johnpl
February 28, 2003, 01:58 PM
1. The paranoia regarding carry laws. Am I following all the laws? In Massachusetts, you can be licensed to carry a large capacity (more than 10 rounds) handgun, but some cities only allow 10 round mags. Gotta love Massachusetts!

2. Excessive machismo at the range/club. Makes you feel inadequate when all you're shooting is your .22:(

3. As mentioned before, the fear of theft.

February 28, 2003, 02:11 PM
Definitely loading up all the stuff to go, and setting it up when I get there. I am lucky enough to live in an area where I can drive a few miles from my house and shoot till my heart is content. But, I have to set up my own target stands, reactive targetsm, my portable benchrest or whatever. I also get paranoid that my neighbors see me loading the truck. Many times I have thought about loading all that stuff up and just said the heck with it. Right now I am kind of at a stage where I am bored with shooting paper all the time. I am tired of shooting my one big heavy plate. I want to set up a more involved course of fire, but I don't have enough ambition to follow through with it.

Soap
February 28, 2003, 02:58 PM
Rick,

I think that your view is rather narrow. If you had a 10-minute conversation with Tamara, Art Eatman, C.R. Sam, Oleg, Runt, Trisha, pax, Skunk, myself, et al, ad infinitum you will see that we represent a highly diverse crowd. The amount of different people here is astounding.
Just because a few Gun Shoppe Commandos bother you, don't paint pictures with broad brushes. They bother me too.

swingset
February 28, 2003, 03:11 PM
The other thing (let the flaming commence) is that because I'm not the typical gun owner (vegetarian, atheist, fairly liberal), I'm on the outs with "my" people and most of the "gun people" too. I vote libertarian, I think Bush is out of his mind, I buy "green" products. This is an anomaly amongst the average THR / TFL people. But owning guns is bizarre to the typical non-leather-wearing, non-meant-eating types.

I empathyze. Tho I'm not left-leaning in every area, I'm firmly liberal in certain things and it often puts me at odds with opinion bullies. Luckily, this isn't a political board! :D

Trisha
February 28, 2003, 03:25 PM
Having to explain what my handloads are, and then why in the name of heaven do I feel a need to shoot 230gr XTP's at 1385fps?

So I explain that, too - and then hear, "Well, now I understand!"

Real grumble? "Expert" shooters at matches whose loads keyhole at 20ft and sound like squib loads - but they get "perfect" scores.

OK, that, and the fact I can never seem to save up enough to get more than one new dream gun before there's another 3-5 added to the list!

(wrinkled-nose smile)

My only legitimate complaint is not having enough friends to go shooting with - and I keep working on that!

Hugs!

Trisha

Dave R
February 28, 2003, 03:25 PM
"pickin' up all that brass..."

"Picking up brass is my number 1 dislike."

There's a cure for that--stop shootin' semi-autos. Stick with revolvers and bolt guns, or single-shots.

Don't like the smell of solvents? Try G-96. It smells a bit better than the other options I've tried.

Now, if I could just come up with a cure for the noise thing and the $$$$$ thing, I'd be doing some good for the industry...

Sven
February 28, 2003, 03:27 PM
Lead.

Blain
February 28, 2003, 04:21 PM
THE NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mastrogiacomo
February 28, 2003, 04:21 PM
1. Dumb permit restrictions.
2. Expensive.
3. Cost of gun clubs and trouble finding ranges.
4. Dealing with other shooters....
5. The NOISE which absolutely kills my ears even though I'm both hearing impaired and wearing ear protection.:uhoh: :what:

Blackhawk
February 28, 2003, 04:28 PM
I'm with Oleg and Blain on the noise.

Supressors should be easily available for any gun.

cookhj
February 28, 2003, 04:28 PM
the cost

the noise (suppressors need to be legal)

dumb laws

Sactown
February 28, 2003, 05:03 PM
Being subject to stupid firearms laws in California. SF and LA should just declare themselves city states and leave the rest of us alone.

MR.G
February 28, 2003, 06:03 PM
Cleaning the guns. I can't sleep at night if there is a dirty gun in the house.

Monkeyleg
February 28, 2003, 06:17 PM
The time required to go to and from the range and then clean the gun (which is more time than the shooting itself). If I were retired, I'd be at the range every day, but that ain't gonna happen until I'm too old to shoot.

5ptdeerhunter
February 28, 2003, 06:45 PM
The only thing I don't like about shooting is that I don't get to do it enough.

MessedUpMike
February 28, 2003, 08:56 PM
Lack of available indoor rifle ranges
Lack of feasible full auto (or even tri burst)
Airchair commandos
Caliber envy

Coot
February 28, 2003, 09:01 PM
I hate having to dig through the snow for 5 months of the year to find my brass (somewhat offset by the April-May brass harvest at the local club).

Also, that my new gunsafe that takes up most of our bedroom is already full- why do guns have to take up so much room! :banghead:

telewinz
February 28, 2003, 09:07 PM
Its so much easier to unload the brass than reload it:D

Stevie-Ray
February 28, 2003, 10:04 PM
My wife. She has no interest in guns at all. She is my best friend in every way but when it comes to guns... Not really anti, just no interest. I can relate. My wife's the same way. She doesn't begrudge me my guns, the purchasing, the time spent at the range, etc., but the mere mention of guns to her brings a :rolleyes: It's really irritating.

Cleaning, but only in the winter, because I have to be in the basement where it's cold, or it stinks up the house. In the good weather, I sit outside at the picnic table and actually enjoy the cleaning.

Skyrocketing costs of range time. Crap, when I started shooting, it was 2 bucks to shoot as long as you wanted. Now it's 14 bucks an hour!

No longer having the time to reload my own ammunition. Once upon a time I hadn't bought a .45 ACP round in 8 years. Now it's at least a box of Hydra-shoks every range session.:(

makdaddy03
February 28, 2003, 10:20 PM
Nosy neighbors:evil:

556A2
March 1, 2003, 12:14 AM
Cleaning Revolvers, the money, and the anti hype.

firestar
March 1, 2003, 12:22 AM
My list is pretty common I think.

1. Cleaning them.
2. The expense
3. Not being able to shoot them very many places.
4. The fear of doing something illegal.
5. The fear of someone stealing them.
6. The clutter of all the gun stuff
7. How it takes over your life when you are not looking.

Diane
March 1, 2003, 07:00 AM
Shell hickey's !

Diane

Mad Man
March 1, 2003, 09:10 AM
In addition to the stuff covered here:

1) The dwindling number of available places to shoot, due to the suburban sprawl in the Denver-Boulder (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=&city=&state=COLORADO&csz=colorado&slt=39.116699&sln=-105.713997&zip=&country=us&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&cs=3&name=&desc=&poititle=&poi=&uz=&ds=g&mlt=39.754538&mln=-104.878730&mag=6&newmag=5) (and soon to be Ft. Collins-Denver-Colorado Springs (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=&city=&state=COLORADO&csz=colorado&slt=39.116699&sln=-105.713997&zip=&country=us&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&cs=3&name=&desc=&poititle=&poi=&uz=&ds=g&mag=5&newmag=4)) metro area.

2) Because of #1, one can spend more time driving to and from available shooting ranges than is actually spent shooting at them.

3) Gun clubs that require a "work bond" for membership. I hardly have enough time to actually use any gun range (partly because of #2 above), much less work at them. Weekends are scarce, and I've got enough projects around my house that need doing. I don't want to drive 50 to 100 miles each way to spend a day working at the gun range several times a year.

What the hell are the clubs doing with the mebership dues? If there is work that actually needs to be done, then raise dues, and offer a discount to anyone who does volunteer work.

It's certainly a good way to discourage people with busy lives from getting involved in the shooting sports. But then, I guess that's the way it's always been done.

4) Rifle matches where I ended up working in the target pit.

The first time I participated in a rifle match was frustrating enough, trying to learn the pace of events and how things were done. I certainly didn't pay an entry fee to spend 1/2 of my time doing something that felt like some assembly line jobs I've had. It didn't help that the little plastic markers would fall off every time I raised the target, and I had to worry about whether or not I was doing it fast enough.

It's another way to discourage new shooters, because that was certainly not an experience I would recommend to my friends.

Owen
March 1, 2003, 12:39 PM
If you don't like picking up brass, bring a kid!

What, no kid to bring? They aren't hard to find! You probably have dozens of them in your neighborhood.

What! You don't know anyone in your neighborhood!! Shame on you! What about coworkers? Neices and Nephews?

When I was little (Junior High) I got to shoot dozens of nifty guns just for picking up brass.

Mebbe you are just to cheap to help foster gun nuttiness in a young enthusiast.

redneck
March 1, 2003, 01:26 PM
All the legal BS and rules you get hassled with.

Should I really have to go all the way into columbus to register myself with the gun grabbers, and pay their fees for a license, when THEY moved their corporation limit out so that the store I was going to is inside it? :cuss: I'm outside of columbus, the store is about 500 yards inside the corporation limit (since it moved out the last time), so to buy anything there I'd have to go clear downtown, and put myself on their "list" :banghead: An all I wanted to get from em was a romanian trainer :banghead:
Time to start hittin gun shows, and lookin for other stores.

yucapote
March 1, 2003, 05:45 PM
I dislike driving to the range and picking up the shells

Peetmoss
March 1, 2003, 08:38 PM
Things I don't like about shooting

1) I am not a very good shot :(

2) The big pain in the butt it is to buy a gun

3) Cleaning the darn things

4) It gets to be expensive

But it is all worth it. I love my guns. Some more then other but don't tell them, ok:rolleyes:

ahadams
March 1, 2003, 08:53 PM
well first off we live in town - and yes even in a town of 400 people they get upset if you set up target practice in your backyard with anything fancier than what the bow hunters use. So not getting enough practice. I actually got more practice in the DC metro area because my church was 4 miles from the NRA HQs range...and I did a lot of volunteer work at church.

wingding anti's bother me. the senior nurse at the clinic I go to is openly hostile to me ever since she figured out what the letters "EVC" meant on the NRA hat I was wearing when I went in there the day after the election. The Dr. is a conservative Baptist who has been waiting for CCW to get here since he got out of the Army, so the nurse can't do much, but I just hate dealing with that sort of unreasoned bigotry.

the cost. I must see five guns a month - shoot sometimes five guns a week - that look like they'd be a lot of fun, but right now I'm stuck buying about one gun a year...and never mind the ammo.

that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Jspy
March 2, 2003, 06:05 PM
The fact you just can't walk out the back door and walk a few paces to do it. The money thing comes next in line. Then the percieved notion that anyone who might have just a slight interest in firearms is a complete whacko...:confused:

dustind
March 2, 2003, 06:52 PM
the noise from unsupressed guns (firearm laws)

many interesting guns are illegal (damn laws again)

Silver Bullet
March 2, 2003, 07:03 PM
Lots of folks here (including me) mentioned cleaning as a dislike. An option to avoid cleaning is to rent a gun at the range and let somebody else do the cleaning.

Some advantages of this are

1. You don’t have to clean the gun;
2. You can try out different kinds of guns;
3. You avoid wear and tear on your own guns;
4. Extra practice in tap-rack-roll when the range guns jam from not being cleaned often enough. :)

Disadvantages are

1. You don’t get the experience and familiarity with your own guns. You can cancel this by renting guns identical to your own, but then that nullifies advantage #2.
2. The small cost of renting a range gun.

Caveats:

1. Advantage #3 is probably insignificant given the durability of a weapon over the lifetime you own it.
2. The location you shoot at may not have guns for rent, expecially if you don’t shoot at an indoor range.

Some folks here also mentioned having to pick up brass. I avoid picking up brass by shooting a lot of CCI Blazer. :) Or, at least I used to when I was buying ammo from Big 5. Now I buy from Wal-Mart, and that means Winchester.

publius
March 3, 2003, 02:42 AM
I don't like all that stuff that comes between trigger pulls. ;)

For those bothered by picking up brass, go to MegaLoMart and get a tarp. Put it where your brass is landing. When you're done, just grab the corners and you've got a neat pile.

As for me, I'm inspired by the native tribes which used to inhabit this part of the world. They made giant shell mounds. So will I. Call it elevation enhancement... :D

Marshall
March 3, 2003, 06:55 AM
The fact that I can't open the french doors to the back yard and shoot from my reclyner while watching hunting and fishing shows. Next, just sure as I am sittin here, someone is going to tell me it's illegal to put the wifes jewelry box in the window for bait!

What's this world comming to? :rolleyes:

Nando Aqui
March 3, 2003, 07:48 AM
The range is 1/2-hour drive from my house, so it is an hour on the road.

It takes me 45 minutes to an hour to clean any two guns I may take to the range.

It usually takes an extra 15 to 30 minutes of waiting, registering, etc. per shooting session. I usually shoot for one hour.

<<< I hate the three or so hours I have to spend to shoot just one hour. >>>

DE44mag
March 3, 2003, 04:59 PM
So many gun--So little $$$
So many rounds to fire---So little time to shoot
so many anti-gunners-- ...:evil: :neener: :what:

Minute_Of_Torso
March 3, 2003, 10:20 PM
My biggest problem is that every time I buy a new gun I think to myself, "Finally, I've got the perfect collection and I won't need to buy any more." Then usually less than two weeks later I'm at the gunshop and I see something I absolutely positively have to have . . .

Another problem is that I like to sit around and smell like powder after I come home from blazing through a few boxes of ammo. My wife hates that and I usually end up in the doghouse.

amprecon
March 4, 2003, 12:07 AM
I don't like shooting at paper targets. I want some reactive targets like a few thousand Al Qaeda or Taliban or just some run-of-the-mill ragheads to shoot at. Wally-Mart just doesn't stock 'em yet :banghead:

Silver Bullet
March 4, 2003, 10:07 AM
Reenlist, this time in the army. :).

amprecon
March 5, 2003, 12:07 AM
Re-enlist?! BWAAAHAAAHAAA! Never. I only take orders from three people anymore and they're me, myself and I........well, then there's my wife which makes four.
Besides, the army doesn't issue .45acp 185gr. JHP's or .30-06 165gr. SPBT COR-LOKT or Wolf 7.62X39 123gr. HP ammunition.
"This aint no game and I aint playin' by no rules. "

coonan357
March 5, 2003, 12:58 AM
the things that bother me are :

1. having to wait for range time due to the fact that my buddies farm is the range and his cranky old senile grandmother in law calls the cops on us whenever we use it , the CS knows me and him and they ussually call on the cell 1st before responding .
2. fighting the butthead who rents the farm land so he doesn't plant in front of our backstop ( he was told he does it again we will not release him the land ) last year we cut down 1 acre of corn after he was told NOT to plant there and he bi**hed about it anyway till we showed him the plat map .
3 trying to find the stray brass that goes flying in the cornfield ( yes this year we are going to hang a tarp .)
4 driving my pick up truck out into the mud to get at the range ( %^&$$#!!! farmer again ) the road out to it wasn't for him to use and the pipeline company even complained about it when one of there 6x6's got stuck
5 . never being able to get time to shoot when everyone else is off .
6. reloading ammo, it takes 5 times as long to reload as it does to shoot ..
:rolleyes:

Fed168
March 6, 2003, 11:55 PM
Cleaning them, and then thinking I have everything I want.

SemperFi83
March 7, 2003, 02:17 PM
Its a trick question....right?

If you enjoyed reading about "What DON'T you like about shooting/guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!