Winchester 94 safety?

PDA

jdmb03
November 20, 2004, 01:35 PM
Is there any mechanical advantage or disadvantage of the cross bolt safety vs. the tang safety?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 94 safety?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rupestris
November 20, 2004, 04:08 PM
Advantages:

The tang safety makes the rifle a littel more ambidextrous.

The cross-bolt safety allows you to mount a tang mount peep sight.

Bobarino
November 20, 2004, 04:23 PM
???? dunno. mine's too old. it doesn't have a safety. besides the one between my ears.

Bobby

ceetee
November 20, 2004, 08:14 PM
The cross-bolt safety used to really tick me off!

Grandpa's 94 didn't have one, so not having it right up there in my face, I'd forget about it. Imagine getting just the perfect shot all lined up, gently squeezing the trigger, and hearing a loud 'click!' instead of the expected joyous thunder...

Jim Watson
November 20, 2004, 08:32 PM
I have seen that happen a number of times at Cowboy matches. The dad blasted safety button gets pushed and no shooting gets done. When I was a kid, it was thought that the exposed hammer was the best safety going. That was a while back and times change. But I don't, won't.

mustanger98
November 21, 2004, 03:04 PM
I'm 30 years old and I've dealt with 94's with and without the crossbolt safety. IMO, the crossbolt is just something to mess with you. The 94 I hunt with does not have a crossbolt safety. My other 94- I'm fixing to get that safety removed; they make a filler block that takes its place to fill the hole left by removal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 94 safety?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!