Glock 17 Concealed Carry Questions...Holsters? Advice?

PDA

orangeninja
November 21, 2004, 06:47 PM
Okay guys, I just recently purchased a new Glock 17 as an off duty concealed weapon for when the XD Subcompact won't do.

My dress is baggy jeans and button up shirts...untucked of course. I absolutely abhor IWB holsters so I won't wear them. I would like a recommendation for a nice very close fitting belt slide or pancake type holster....no paddles, I've never had one that held the gun close enough...we're talking almost digging in the ribs tight. Any recommendations?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 17 Concealed Carry Questions...Holsters? Advice?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sistema1927
November 21, 2004, 07:49 PM
I'm having a little difficulty with the concept that the Glock 17 will serve where the XD subcompact won't. :scrutiny:

However, I would think that the key to holding the pistol tight against your side would be more dependent upon a good stiff belt. Any number of pancakes or slides will hold the pistol tight, but only if suported by a decent belt.

orangeninja
November 21, 2004, 09:31 PM
"I'm having a little difficulty with the concept that the Glock 17 will serve where the XD subcompact won't."

Sitema....the XD will be for whenever I cannot wear a Glock 17, not the other way around. My primary carry off duty will hopefully become the Glock 17 for the following reasons:

1.) Full size weapons are more shootable than subcompacts no matter how good the subcompact. Therefore, the G17 will likely be shot more at the range, etc. Who was it said that when you need a gun, you need a fistfull of gun?

2.) The G17 holds nearly twice the capacity of the XD Sub.

3.) The G17 will likely pull double duty at some point....on duty and off.

4.) The G17 will likely be a more accurate weapon.

Thanks

motoman
November 21, 2004, 09:42 PM
concealed from time to time, I use a Gould and Goodrich belt slide holster that has served me well for many (10+) years. Galls sells them for a reasonable price:
http://www.galls.com/style.html?style=LP010&assort=general_catalog

TonyB
November 22, 2004, 03:01 PM
I'm gonna be no help here...I've tried and tried to CCW my 17...it's just to darn big for me.....it sticks out like a sore thumb....I've tried a high noon and fobus to no avail.....it's too bad too cause I love the 17......I guess it just means I'm in the market for a 26 ;)

Big Mike
November 23, 2004, 05:27 AM
Blade Tech IWB, belt loops. I've had two of these holsters for a medium and big auto. great holsters by a great company. Mike

Jason Demond
November 23, 2004, 07:59 PM
I second Blade-Tech holsters. I can conceal a fullsize pistol very well with my BT IWB.

Haycreek
November 23, 2004, 08:22 PM
Check out comp-tac.com All of their carry holsters are good.

November 23, 2004, 08:23 PM
I use a Desantis Cozy Partner IWB for my G17 and a Uncle Mike's Super belt slide for OWB. The UM is cheap but well made and I use a Wilderness instructor belt with it and it stays very close to my body. I've tried using Galco leather and different Kydex but they just don't stay as close as I like or I'm sure you are wanting.

9mmepiphany
November 24, 2004, 11:33 PM
i found the glock 17/22 size too large for CCW too, so i settled on the 19/23 size. i've found the 19 to be just about the perfect size for a 9mm glock.

unfortunatly, i've also found that the perfect holster for when i CCW my 19 to be the fobus paddle (non-roto) holster. they are a perfect match as to materiel, retention and size (muzzle comes right to the end of the pouch).

the fobus paddle holds the 19 higher and tighter to the body than any of their other models

B36
November 25, 2004, 03:46 PM
Ken Null makes a great holster for the 17. For a cheep but very good holster, the HUME JIT does a good job.

orangeninja
November 28, 2004, 07:11 PM

is that a Super Belt Slide that covers the whole gun or just the belt slide with the barrel left exposed?

PO2Hammer
November 28, 2004, 08:06 PM
I'm not very experienced but I really like the Glock sport/combat belt slide. It rides high and tight and it does not make a sound. Very cofortable and almost weightless as well. I also like the High Noon slide guard holster, but the Glock model seems better all around. You can vary the angle and height when you cut the little tabs.

orangeninja
December 1, 2004, 09:31 PM
PO2Hammer.........I took your advice......N-I-C-E. Worked great. I will give it the maiden voyage this week. In the house it works great though.

Marcus
December 1, 2004, 09:48 PM
A G17 is a pretty bulky piece to conceal OWB under just an untucked shirt. I`d be looking for something fairly high ride so the moderately long barrel doesn`t peek out from under the shirt,with dual belt slots to pull it in nice and tight,it would be as thin as humanly possible to help make up for the Glock`s chunky profile and to me that means kydex. A really good (stiff) gunbelt is a must to keep it tucked in really tight. I`ve been thinking it over for my S&W 1006 which is bigger but thinner. I`m leaning hard towards this one in kydex http://www.holsterz.com/product/FIST7DROPPEDFRONTB The dropped front should make it a little faster and easier to draw with the big Smith`s 5" barrel and should do the same for a G17. You could probably do worse. :) Marcus

orangeninja
December 1, 2004, 09:56 PM
That looks pretty promising...it is very much like the Glock brand holster which is admittidly cheap, but cheap enough to replace if it breaks....so long as it doesn't flop the gun. I'm not to worried about that though.

JerryM
December 1, 2004, 10:29 PM
Anyone heard of the factory Glock belt slide holster breaking? It looks pretty flimsy but it works well. So does the magazine carrier.

Jerry

hnm201
December 1, 2004, 10:46 PM
I've broken two Glock Brand Belt Slides just by carrying weapons in them. I'll never bother with one again.

I'd recommend two things:

1. Trade the Springfield Subcompact for a Glock 26. It's a better gun and it can use the same holsters and mags as your Glock 17. Or just buy a G26 and keep the Springfield Subcompact as a spare. I shot one recently and kinda liked it but the G26 is much easier to conceal and I shoot it more accurately than I shoot a G17, but I digress....

2. Buy a Comp-tac Gurkha or CTAC IWB slide that will hold either you G17 or your G26. It's cut just like a OWB slide, only you wear it inside the waistband. It doesn't have all the extra length so that when you want to drop in the shorter gun you have just enough holster and no more. This way youre spare mag is always the same: a G1-17 hi-cap in your offside front pocket or on your belt. I used the same set up for G30 and G21:

http://www.comp-tac.com/images/ctac/sm_ctacslide.jpg

You'll also find that he G17 and G26 share many of the same small parts, and it's always nice to have spare parts on hand.

orangeninja
December 5, 2004, 10:03 PM
Tell ya what...I'll try a G26 tomorrow. The Sub Compact XD just fits my hand so well though. The IWB holsters kind of are uncomfortable for me, I will try one though, just for the sake of trying it out. I would really like to find a pancake or beltslide that holds the gun at enough of a "Cant" angle to put that grip at more like 15-20 degrees to better hide the gun butt.

I wish I could try out an assortment of Don Hume.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 17 Concealed Carry Questions...Holsters? Advice?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!