Field Report - Remington Model 81

PDA

TrapperReady
November 21, 2004, 10:27 PM
I got out this weekend for the opener of gun deer season, and brought along my "new" 1936 Remington Model 81 in .30 Rem. I thought I'd post a little AAR and some thoughts on it.

First of all... in the dense woods, the iron sights are fine. Most of the cover I was hunting in wouldn't allow any more than a 75 yard shot. When I practiced with it at the range, I was able to keep my groups just a hair over 2" at 100 yards, off a rest. That's plenty accurate for Bambi.

The gun itself handles very nicely. Since it's got a fair amount of weight out front, it swings very much like a shotgun (which is a good thing for me). I did notice that it also hits me in the cheek like some shotguns can, which isn't great, but that will vary by user. I found that after 20 shots, I was getting little bump under my right cheek.

Loading and unloading the integral five shot magazine is easy, but slightly cumbersome. I noticed this most when I was freezing on a stand and was getting ready to climb down. It would have been a lot nicer to pop the mag and eject one round, instead of hand cycling the action and catching five shells.

BTW, mine ejects forcefully, but almost straight up and slightly back. From my range session, I noticed that most of the shells would land right on top of my head. This is a little annoying, but the consistency and proximity makes it easy to find your brass (a good thing with an obsolete cartridge).

I wish I could post a picture of the deer I shot with it... but I didn't see squat all weekend. I can say this, though... after a weekend spent either on a stand or driving/posting, the gun handles nicely. The enormous safety is easy to operate even with frozen, fumbling digits and the gun's balance is very nice. While a little heavy for extended carrying, it's quite tolerablel.

In summary, despite it's little quirks, this has taken over (from a Winchester 94) as my "woods" gun. Now I've just got to get a big bag full of brass, so that when I actually do shoot a deer with it, I don't spend more time tracking the casing than I do the animal. ;)

http://www.fototime.com/%7B8775F648-9402-4BB4-9F9B-C03ACF501615%7D/picture.JPG

If you enjoyed reading about "Field Report - Remington Model 81" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LouB
November 22, 2004, 07:28 AM
Trapper,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. That sure is a neat old rifle. I think all of us appreciate the fine old pieces that were made with old time craftmanship. Nicely done photo. Thanks.

Lou

41mag
November 22, 2004, 08:25 AM
Cool beans TrapperReady!

I ran into a cluster of these at a gun store friday afternoon.I still can't deceide which caliber/rifle to get.

Neat gun.

Oh yeah,mebee you could wear a "Gilligan" hat & let the brim hold the empties on your head? :D

Lawyerman
November 22, 2004, 08:36 AM
No question! If you have a choice the .35 Remington is the one to get. They still make factory ammo for it that is readily available. I have one and it is a fine old rifle. A .300 Savage would be ok too but I would stay away from the Remingon rimless ballistic clones of the Winchester rounds, factory ammo is near non existent and even the cases are hard to find.

Another John Browning design soldiers on into the 21st Century!

If you enjoyed reading about "Field Report - Remington Model 81" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!