5.56 fmj`s for hogs?

PDA

fmjcafe
February 28, 2003, 11:05 AM
Spur of the moment I have been invited to help clean out a population of feral hogs near Potosi Mo. I was wondering if I could use my AR-15 shooting the 55gr. fmj load for the trip.

I`m leaning towards my .35 Rem Marlin but the AR sure would be fun...

If you enjoyed reading about "5.56 fmj`s for hogs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mr. Chitlin
February 28, 2003, 11:29 AM
Seems like there was a thread on AR15 a month or 2 ago where a guy was using South African M193 to kill hogs with. He had pics and a pretty good discription about the damage. Seems like as long as it was a side shot, into the ribs and not the shoulder or gristle plate, they went down pretty hard. Don't know that I wouldn't take the 35, though. I'd hate for a mad hog to be coming at me, and all I had was an AR, especially if he was a big 'un!!

I didn't know that there were hogs in that part of the country. I used to get up to the Potosi - Ironton - Virburnum area quite a bit 10-15 years ago. I worked up there quite a bit while they were building the prision at Potosi, not involved with it, though. Ever been to the big gun shop in Ironton/Arcadia?? They advertised like 1600 guns on their banner or something. Been a long time, but I still remember it.

Good luck on your hunting.

Art Eatman
February 28, 2003, 01:05 PM
The hog's gotta be pretty cooperative for a .223 to be effective. Stationary, broadside, and small...I'd really recommend the .35, myself. There is always the possibility that you'd be just fine in killing a shoat, and some irate parent would take serious offense.

You a good tree climber? Got plenty of lard for that AR gun barrel? :D

Art

fmjcafe
February 28, 2003, 03:26 PM
No, me and trees don`t really get along. I will be carrying my Marlin. I`ll also be packing a .357 Blackhawk as backup.

The story I heard about the hogs was that they had been pretty much cleaned out once before but have come back with a vengeance and MDC would like for them to be thinned out again. Never having hunted them before, this should be interesting. I`ll let y`all know how it goes.

Redlg155
March 3, 2003, 02:18 AM
Good Luck on the hunt and you are a smart man to take the Marlin.

Unless you are hunting Javelina, you'd be better off with the .35 Remington or other suitable caliber. I'd also suggest the heavier weight bullets in the .35 instead of the lighter 150gr bullets. Sometimes it takes a lot to punch through a shield on a hog.

Good Shooting
Red

fmjcafe
March 3, 2003, 02:04 PM
Well, the hunt was a bust. We didn`t see any hogs or any sign. We are going to try a different area next weekend.

COHIBA
March 15, 2003, 10:05 PM
i use a 444 w/ 325 gr lead and/or a cold steel asagi.
buddy of mine tood a nice one week before last in charlston w/ a wilson tactical 1911 knife.

If you enjoyed reading about "5.56 fmj`s for hogs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!