FAL safety question

PDA

Rebel Gunman HK
November 22, 2004, 10:19 AM
One thing that really bothers me about my FAL is the safety selector switch. It is easy taken off of safe and pushed past the notch for semi auto fire. So if Im not careful its between fire and grenade launcher making it inoperable until I back it back to fire. Is everyone else's FAL like that? Usually I can do it fine but I wish the thing had a more positve engagement in the fire notch. What should I do to fix the problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL safety question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Badger Arms
November 22, 2004, 10:45 AM
There's no grenade launcher setting on the selector that I am aware of. On my FAL, there is an extension that stops on the upper receiver when it's rotated too far. Won't go any further. Mine's an L1A1 rebuild, so not sure how to fix your particular problem. It might be a matter of drilling and tapping a hole then putting an allen-headed bolt in there to act as a stop.

kotengu
November 22, 2004, 10:53 AM
A couple options - DSA sells metric semi-only selector switches that will stop the selctor before it gets to the full auto position (which equals hammer follow and single shot mode in a semi-auto gun).

What I like better is to install an "inch" model selector, which has a larger thumb pad for easier manipulation, and includes a semi-only leg that stops the selector from going past the semi position. The only modification you have to make is to knock off the pin in your metric lower.

shoobe01
November 22, 2004, 11:36 AM
I think most people just don't rest their thumb on the lever. So, no problem.

I also like to, so went with the DSA semi-auto-only selector with the ledge to keep it from going past.

I did this just to keep track of the lever, as I have no problem thumbing it up and down and don't want to have to go chasing it down. Mine does not follow on automatic, though. Its just another semi-auto position. Don't know why, as the safety sear has (of course) been removed...

usp_fan
November 22, 2004, 11:38 AM
You can install a grip that prevents the movement of the safety past the semi postion. Just look for a grip that lacks the semi circle cut out to provide clearance for the safety lever.

--usp_fan

goon
November 22, 2004, 12:43 PM
I have the DSA semi auto safety on my FAL and it works great. I had the same problem with pushing the lever down too far and the semi auto switch took care of that.

Also, if you ever have to remove the extractor for any reason, get the extractor tool that DSA sells. It is well worth it. Trust me.

kfranz
November 22, 2004, 01:01 PM
I've made the inch selector mod to all my FN's, just 'cause I like 'em so much. As for goon's suggestion on the extractor tool, a rusty nail chucked up in the vise makes for a much higher likelyhood of WECSOG points..... ;)

Rebel Gunman HK
November 22, 2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the good replies. Ill be checking with DSA on a new switch. What exactly would I have to do to install an inch pattern selector?

kotengu
November 22, 2004, 09:30 PM
The easiest way, assuming you have a steel lower receiver (the vast majority are), is to take a flat head screwdriver and a hammer, and shear off the selector pin. It sounds crude and dangerous, but if you have three thumbs or less the pin just shears off even with the surface and it's neat as can be.

spartacus2002
November 22, 2004, 10:02 PM
Don't worry about the inch selector; get the DSA extended safety. It won't rotate around to the FA slot, and you can manipulate the safety with your thumb without moving your hand on the pistol grip.

Definitely one of the best mods you can make to your FAL!

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL safety question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!