Illinois Gungrabbers see Supreme Court Defeat as a Call for More Legislation

PDA

Jeff White
November 22, 2004, 05:59 PM
In their eternal quest to put a positive spin on anything, Daley and the rest of the Illinois anti-freedom crowd came up with this:
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/metroeast/story/A9557E93D15A96C486256F5200291ED2?OpenDocument&Headline=Gun+ruling+throws+issue+back+to+lawmakers
Gun ruling throws issue back to lawmakers
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

11/21/2004

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - When the Illinois Supreme Court tossed out two landmark lawsuits against the gun industry, the justices also sent a strong message to lawmakers: It's up to you to crack down on gunmakers' marketing practices.

Gun-control advocates in Springfield weren't happy with the rulings, but they said the justices' separate message may be just the boost they need to pass firearm restrictions that have failed in recent years.

"If that doesn't call for a legislative response, I don't know what does," said Senate Judiciary Committee chairman John Cullerton, D-Chicago.

The court on Thursday dismissed lawsuits by the city of Chicago and victims of handgun violence that alleged gun manufacturers, distributors and sellers caused a "public nuisance" by saturating the area with guns they knew would end up in criminals' hands. The court said there was no legal basis for holding the manufacturers responsible and that the alleged nuisance was the use of the guns, not the manufacture or sale.

"I'm not going to give this up," Chicago Mayor Richard Daley said Friday. "I firmly believe hunters, sportsmen, gun collectors, yes, have rights. But they have no right to sell all types of weapons and all types of ammunition in our communities."

But the unanimous court decisions Thursday included a special concurrence by five of the seven justices. They said they were alarmed by the city's allegations that manufacturers swamped suburban shops with more guns than they could ever sell in their own communities, that those shops sold to people who said they were taking handguns to Chicago, where handguns are banned, and that the products include easily concealable semiautomatic guns and guns with fingerprint-resistant coating that criminals favor.

"Given the disturbing statistical data ... it is my sincere hope that our General Assembly will turn its attention to the problems this case brings to light," Justice Charles Freeman wrote in the separate opinion.

I love it that Daley thinks people have rights....I'd like to know just what RKBA rights he lets his subjects have?

Jeff

If you enjoyed reading about "Illinois Gungrabbers see Supreme Court Defeat as a Call for More Legislation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
November 22, 2004, 06:11 PM
"I'm not going to give this up," Chicago Mayor Richard Daley said Friday.

No one will ever be able to accuse tyrants and wannabe tyrants of not being persistent enough.

DonP
November 23, 2004, 12:09 AM
The Feds are about to bust a major investigation wide open all around him and city hall.

He may be trying to use new gun control measures to hold up as an example of how much he is doing for the Chicago community. To paraphrase the Wizard of Oz, kind of a "pay no attention to the prosecution behind the curtain" move on his part.

But he and Roddy boy, the current designated meat puppet, haven't been able to get much in the way of gun control through the legislature. Including the recent "Hale DeMar bill" veto over ride.

Right now the downstate Dem's have re-found their manhood and will oppose most of the crapola Emil Jones and his buddies try and cram down their throats.

Madigan, Mike and Lisa, concern me more these days. Either would sell their grandmother for a political deal and Mike Madigan feels invulnerable with his daughter running interference for him.

iamkris
November 23, 2004, 11:37 AM
DonP

Yup, I've already bought the popcorn and get my comfy slippers out ready to watch that little sideshow. The problem is, I'll bet your paycheck :p that Daley has several slippery layers between him and the fall guy.

Lisa Madigan is turning out to be the devil, though...

Edmond
November 23, 2004, 11:56 AM
Oh yeah, I would bet that Daley has many fall guys lined up for him. You guys see that Blago rolls 10-12 armed guards deep going out of state on that ABC news special?

Who knows or cares about him outside of Illinois? I'm in Illinois and I don't care about him. :rolleyes:

HankB
November 23, 2004, 12:52 PM
I would bet that Daley has many fall guys lined up for himThe (rotten) apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Like father, like son. :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Illinois Gungrabbers see Supreme Court Defeat as a Call for More Legislation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!