Consumer electronics test...

PDA

Tamara
February 28, 2003, 11:51 AM
All computer manufacturers rave about how durable and reliable their hardware is. Being natural skeptics and wanting to help High Roaders get good value for their PC-buying dollar, lendringser and I did a durability test of an eMachines P4. Its resistance to kinetic energy can only be termed "poor"...

If you enjoyed reading about "Consumer electronics test..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
February 28, 2003, 11:53 AM
...the floppy drive slot will not accept 10mm Cor-Bons without applying at least 600 ft/lbs of force, and the "rugged switchgear" doesn't have much of a MTBF when exposed to pansy little 9mm ball...

Tamara
February 28, 2003, 11:55 AM
...and possibly most annoying, the memory slots seem to be incompatible with standard 175gr Silvertips. :mad:

PATH
February 28, 2003, 11:57 AM
Geez! I wish I was a bit more computer literate!:D

KMKeller
February 28, 2003, 11:58 AM
Oh look! You made some very interesting PCI slots...:eek:

synoptic
February 28, 2003, 12:02 PM
Great job Tamara!
Bullet holes make great case mods as well (just be sure to take the computer part out first as well as the chassis so all you have is the case body)

This stuff always reminds me of Office Space where they are beating the hell out of the fax machine

Viking6
February 28, 2003, 12:02 PM
In fairness to the 'pooter, you didn't have it plugged in.

cuchulainn
February 28, 2003, 12:04 PM
Is there anything, besides pixie dust, that can't be used for target practice? :D I'm most impressed by the exit holes on the back in the first photo. [edited to remove stupid, obvious question .... should have looked at the second photo again].

Although, there is a lot of empty space inside those boxes, so maybe I'm overestimating the stopping power in a front-to-back shot.

Steve Smith
February 28, 2003, 12:23 PM
Only a redneck from Tennesee would shoot a computer.

(ducking)

Mute
February 28, 2003, 12:40 PM
Only a redneck from Tennesee would shoot a computer.

I didn't know rednecks from Tennessee owned computers. :what:

J Miller
:D When I saw the thread title I fully intended to jump in and declare it as OT. :cuss:
But after seeing all the holes you put in it, I decided that you didn't "topic" it enough. :evil:
I'm fairly sure my step son could get it working again without too much trouble.:rolleyes:

Tamara
Two rednecks from Tennessee, Steve. ;)

By the way, if one is ever attacked by an eMachines P4, a 10mm Glock 29 shows excellent stopping power, although a CZ-75 is certainly adequate, as well.

PS: The system will no longer boot, oddly enough.

bogie
February 28, 2003, 12:45 PM
Heh - I used to have a computer that I'd pulled the guts out of, and then painted camo. It eventually was donated to Goodwill after it reached the end of its useful life.

I think I'll do that again.

Leatherneck
February 28, 2003, 12:55 PM
One crash too many, huh? :D

TC
TFL Survivor

Pappy John
February 28, 2003, 01:54 PM
Only one problem, Tamara. You didn't use enough ammo.:D :D

Any computer worth shooting is worth turning into unrecognizable debris.

M67
February 28, 2003, 02:35 PM
I didn't know rednecks from Tennessee owned computers. Shure they do. See attachment.

NonServiam, you reading this? Did you get any pictures of that printer we tested the last time our Danish friends visited? If I remember correctly, it was quite unservicable after the test was over. It's the only time I've ever faced a dangerous, wounded electrical appliance with a Ruger SBH in the right hand and a Smith 629 in the left. :D

Steve Smith
February 28, 2003, 02:39 PM
Tam, good to know, since I own both an EMachine and a G29.

Schuey2002
February 28, 2003, 02:46 PM
This is the kind of fun that I keep telling Skunk that he is missing out on living in SoCal...:D

synoptic
February 28, 2003, 03:02 PM
Monitors and printers work well too ;) I wish I had taken some pics last time we shot all that stuff up...

10-Ring
February 28, 2003, 03:08 PM
WOW! :eek: I wonder what a defenseless computer could have done to deserve that! :what: Although I do remember a laptop once that refused obey my commands :)

Tamara
February 28, 2003, 03:14 PM
I've got a recently-deceased 17" PiXie monitor that's next on the execution list, but first, I need to to talk to my landlord (the range is in the back yard of his house next door).

See, he's a health and safety officer by occupation, and therefore tends to frown on loony and messy stunts, unless you can get him to think it was his idea, in which case juggling hand grenades while running with scissors is okie dokie! :D

What caliber is best for monitors? I'm torn between Norma 7.7 Jap softpoints or S&B 6.5 Swede softpoints, unless my .577-450 shows up from Old Western Scrounger...

Kreed
February 28, 2003, 03:17 PM
Well done!

I think it's still twitching though. When that happens to the CPUs, monitors, printers, TV sets, etc., etc. that I bring on one-way trips to the range, I usually put 'em out of their misery with several rounds of 12ga buckshot. :)

synoptic
February 28, 2003, 03:21 PM
7.62x39 and 30-30 worked real well on our monitors. 12 guage slugs penetrated too easy and weren't what I was hoping for.

seeker_two
February 28, 2003, 03:32 PM
Hate to tell you this, but the minimum stopping power for an E-Machine was already discovered....:D

Cybercide II (http://www.milesfortis.com/dunn/cybercide02.htm)

Cybercide III (http://www.milesfortis.com/dunn/cybercide03.htm)

Remember---no handgun caliber can equal the damage created by a good Windows XP upgrade...:evil:

Poodleshooter
February 28, 2003, 03:44 PM
CPU coolers are surprisingly bullet resistant. We had trouble penetrating one with standard ball. Nice dents though. You haven't lived till you've skipped so many .22's off of a hard drive platter that the wiring catches on fire.
Working at a company that routinely disposes of old hardware has it's plinking advantages.

Blackhawk
February 28, 2003, 04:21 PM
POSTERS!

I need those pics as posters so I can hang them in plain view of my computer so it can SEE what happens to misbehaving consumer electronics. :what:

cordex
February 28, 2003, 04:25 PM
Hmmm ...
If we can't ditch the ol' Cubix for cash, my boss and I might take it out to the range.
That will require some firepower. I doubt a pansy 10mm would work on it.
Seriously built, redundant power supplies, 7 hard drives, 7 seperate CPUs ... hmm ... time to break out the Mauser, I think. I might try giving it power while shooting at it (off a UPS and extension cord, of course). Imagine all those platters and fans spinning and then suddenly being bisected by an angry, charging 8mm slug.

Mal H
February 28, 2003, 04:29 PM
The problem with your eMachine appears to be obvious. But, to be on the safe side, you might want to call their technical support dept. to see if they can solve the problem. The answer might even be in their FAQ list (Firearms Achieve Quietus).
:D

jsalcedo
February 28, 2003, 04:34 PM
I used to replace monitors constantly and ended up with about
50 to 60 defunct units per month.

At first I would swing them from the cord around and around
faster and faster as I walked up closer to a tree. Boom! that was fun!

But soon I found shooting them was much more enjoyable.

357 mag 110grain JHP had the most impressive effect on the screen.

7.62x39 was perfect when shooting directly through the coil
and transformer in the back of the monitor because it would make that funny ozone smell if you hit it just right.

Disposing of monitors may get you in trouble because they are considered hazardous waste, check before you throw them in a dumpster.

LiquidTension
March 1, 2003, 03:17 AM
seeker_two -

A good install of Windows XP is far better than anything save a UNIX system (Solaris is sooooo nice). A BAD install on the other hand, is a worse nightmare than Janet Reno naked on a cold day.

From my experience, hard drives and old cordless phones are not very bullet resistant.

Death to the eMachines! (I used to sell them - unwillingly and with full disclosure of how horrid they are).

Schuey2002
March 1, 2003, 03:25 AM
A BAD install on the other hand, is a worse nightmare than Janet Reno naked on a cold day.
Thanks for that mental picture, now I need to go.. :barf: :barf:

Meow
March 1, 2003, 03:30 AM
Geez, Tamara, that looks like my computer:D

Schuey2002
March 1, 2003, 04:16 AM
The computer that I'm currently using is headed for a similiar future if it doesn't shape up and start workin' like it should on a consistent basis..

I've got some .223 Remington rounds that I've reserved for the "BIG CRASH". :evil:

PAshooter
March 1, 2003, 08:43 AM
Ummm... Tam... I understand your feelings about AOL, but wouldn't it have been cheaper to simply switch to another ISP? :D

Will Fennell
March 1, 2003, 09:38 AM
Tam,
I think you're right, if you like hso go first with that goofey SPAS-whatever model shotgun, he will probally think its a great idea. That should probally take care of any "blue screen of death" issues:rolleyes:

Since the monitor is full of glass.....spreading a tarp down first would allow easy cleanup of glass shards. Since everybody knows all Ten. Rednecks[capitalized out of respect] go barefoot all year, and since last time I was in the neighborhood, the hso family had lotsa dogs, glass cleanup might help convince Mrs Gwen of the idea too;)

Waitone
March 1, 2003, 10:39 AM
Soooooo, what tirggered (no pun intended) this event?

Didja get the Windows Blue Screen of Death one time too many?

gun-fucious
March 1, 2003, 11:20 AM
a real Luddite would use a longbow

:D

Russ
March 1, 2003, 12:48 PM
Tamara,

I have found that a 12 gauge shotgun round is ideal for all types of computer monitors. Better yet, why bother with shot, try a slug!

NonServiam
March 1, 2003, 08:22 PM
NonServiam, you reading this? Did you get any pictures of that printer we tested the last time our Danish friends visited? If I remember correctly, it was quite unservicable after the test was over.

Sorry, no pics of the printer. But I believe it was quite dead. I think 20 deranged Scandinavian shooters made sure of that. Of course, I will claim the killing shot to be from my silenced Beretta 71. Screw your loud, crude handcannons :p

Kharn
March 1, 2003, 08:36 PM
I need to go shoot a few computers after the last three weeks of working my computer-lab job here on campus. Anyone want to donate some 2.2ghz Gateway desktops with the black and silver case?

Kharn

Peetmoss
March 1, 2003, 08:46 PM
Thats why you build your own rig, and use AMD procs:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Consumer electronics test..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!