God Bless Texas!

PDA

Dave P
November 23, 2004, 01:51 PM
Woman: 'Bake Sales Are A Thing Of The Past'

POSTED: 9:58 am EST November 23, 2004
UPDATED: 10:09 am EST November 23, 2004
LAMPASAS, Texas -- A parent-teacher organization in Texas is raffling off a deer rifle to raise money for a school project.

The goal of the unique raffle is to raise $15,000 to fence in a portion of a junior high school.

Marta Ellison, who is one of the organizers of the raffle for the Hanna Springs Intermediate School Parent-Teacher Student Organization, told The Dallas Morning News that the group consists of moms using guns as tools to protect their kids.

The idea of the fence followed an incident last year, when a registered sex offender began talking to a student while she was jogging for gym class.

The gun raffle will hopefully bring in enough money to build the fence.

The school superintendent said he has received only one comment about the propriety of using guns to raise money for a school project.

One woman said "bake sales are a thing of the past."

If you enjoyed reading about "God Bless Texas!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MaterDei
November 23, 2004, 01:57 PM
I'm so proud of my state. *sniff sniff*

For a more thorough right up...

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=112741&highlight=lampasas

Selfdfenz
November 23, 2004, 03:07 PM
Back in the 80's it was common for my VFD to raffle off firearms and dirt bikes to raise funds.

And raise funds it did:D

This is a part of TX that I hope doesn't give a hoot in h-ll what the rest of the world thinks. Good on'em.

S-

Preacherman
November 23, 2004, 04:25 PM
Heck, in my last church, we ran an annual "rifle raffle" for church funds. First prize was a decent hunting rifle with scope; second prize was a shotgun; third prize was a .22 rifle. We had lots of support, and the only negative comments were from "citified" folks who were horrified that a priest could encourage such nasty, horrible things as guns. They usually shut up when I showed them my personal collection... :D

macavada
November 24, 2004, 12:37 AM
I remember as a kid, my Catholic church would sometimes raffle off a shotgun.

Nice to see some areas of the state are still unafraid to do some of these things.

I can't see myself living in any other state.

sm
November 24, 2004, 12:46 AM
:D
This is Great.
These folks will raise the money in no time, and have that fence.

Has to really tick off some folks that are against guns...their schools cannot even gather enough interest to get the parents involved, afford materials for teachers to teach with, and students a safe enviroment to learn in.

If you enjoyed reading about "God Bless Texas!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!