My First .22 Build Hope It works As Well as It Looks.

PDA

cslinger
November 23, 2004, 06:42 PM
Well I took the plunge and decided to build my first 10/22. So armed with my Discover card, C&R License and the Midway catelog I set out.

I started with your basic bottom of the line blued 10/22 for a doner rifle.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18750&stc=1

Of which I kept this.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18751&stc=1

That I turned into this.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18752&stc=1

Well I am very happy with the way it turned out visually but I am nervous about how it will shoot. I have never done this much to a rifle before and don't know if I did everything perfectly. I plan on doing some tweaking at the range.

This was a mighty fun project.

If you enjoyed reading about "My First .22 Build Hope It works As Well as It Looks." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Darkmind
November 23, 2004, 06:43 PM
WOW looks good.

Tom C.
November 24, 2004, 10:26 AM
Whose barrel is it? Looks like a Volquartsen trigger group.
Accuracy depends on the barrel, and the fit of the barrel in the receiver, then fit of the barreled action in the stock. When I did what you did, I was happy to see that the Green Mountain barrel I put in fit a little tighter than the original barrel. That goes a long way. The Rugers are really very forgiving. Try different ammo and see how it does. I just took mine out yesterday and benched it. It really likes Eley Black, and did almost as well with generic Winchester High Speed solids. I think you will be very pleased with the results.
There are a couple of additional things to do: replace the buffer pin with an elastic pin. It will help save the receiver. I also put in an allen head action screw. It is easier to put in and out and torque down.

George S.
November 24, 2004, 11:06 AM
That's the same way I started with my 10/22. I added a Green Mountain 18" fluted SS barrel, PowerCustom hammer and sear and smoothed the trigger to just under 2.2lbs, a Boyd's Ross Thumbhole stock, and a Bushnell 3-9x32 rimfire scope on a Weaver TO-9 mount.

I haven't tried any match grade ammo yet bu with the bulk Winchester Dynapoints or CCI mini-mags, I can get sub-1" groups at 25yds with it.
The next upgrade will be a bigger scope to see if I can shrink the groups or keep sub-1" at 50yds without going to expensive match grade ammo.

Spieler
November 26, 2004, 07:51 PM
Hey cslinger, are you keeping the original hardwood stock off that 10/22?

If not, I am looking for one for another project myself. PM or email me if you want to dump the stock.

Thanks.

-Patrick

Cortland
November 26, 2004, 08:30 PM
I haven't tried any match grade ammo yet bu with the bulk Winchester Dynapoints or CCI mini-mags, I can get sub-1" groups at 25yds with it.
Huh? :confused:

I put a 18" SS GM bull barrel on my 10/22, dropped in all new Power Custom trigger components, bedded it in a Hogue overmold stock, and topped it with a 3-9x Bushnell. Nothing fancy. It'll do 0.4" groups at 50 yards with Mini Mags.

Sactown
November 26, 2004, 08:41 PM
Mine's got a volq carbon fiber thm barrel, volq tg2000, volq cantilver scope mount, bell and carlson Anschutz stock, Weaver grand slam 6-24X. Shooting Win Dynapoint at 25 yards they all go through the same hole. At 50yards it's easily sub-dime.

Nathaniel Firethorn
December 4, 2004, 06:18 PM
How'd you bed the barrel?

- pdmoderator

tc300mag1
December 4, 2004, 06:43 PM
Sweeetttt i love this stock need to find me a left hand one

CB900F
December 4, 2004, 09:47 PM
Tc300mag1;

I'm also left handed & did the full route on my 10/22 a while ago. At that time, I couldn't find a good LH stock & settled on the Hogue. The Hogue is still on the gun because it works wonderfully well.

However, if you do find a left-dedicated stock, please let me know. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of it in any case.

900F

tc300mag1
December 5, 2004, 06:00 PM
Ask yeah shall recieve at least they say its left hand and it looks it 161$$ though Boyds (http://www.boydboys.com/Ebus30/Images/Parts/500-058.jpg)

TNT
December 5, 2004, 08:00 PM
Save yourself some cash and buy a Revival Industries stock. :)

www.revivalindustries.com/yukon.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "My First .22 Build Hope It works As Well as It Looks." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!