Enfield Eject Problem. Help?

PDA

jame
November 23, 2004, 11:33 PM
I have an Enfield No4 that I purchased and refinished. She's a beauty, but it doesn;t seem to want to eject fired cases with any authority. The ejector will grab the case, and extract from the bore just fine. But when it come to "fling time", the case seems to want to jump back into the rifle. If done this slow and easy, and fast and hard, but no difference in results.

Any ideas from the Enfield fans?

Oh, here she is:

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield Eject Problem. Help?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
noonanda
November 23, 2004, 11:42 PM
Sounds like your ejector screw. Look on the left side of the rifle, there should be a small straight screw by the charge bridge, you may need to find a longer screw. This screw helps eject the rimmed cartridge. here is a link that might help you outSurplus rifle. com Enfield info (http://www.surplusrifle.com/no4/index.asp)

rbernie
November 23, 2004, 11:57 PM
You might also want to try corrolating ejection performance against ammo brands. I've seen examples where certain brands of brass (PMC, for example) had rim dimensions that were off just enough to cause odd ejection and/or extraction issues.

Badger Arms
November 24, 2004, 01:33 AM
My guess would be that your ejector screw is worn or poorly fitted. You can get a new one and fit it with a file if you are mechanically inclined. To get the terminology right, though:

The EJECTOR is a screw whose shaft projects into the bolt raceway and strikes the case rim as it is withdrawn.

The EXTRACTOR is the claw-like thing which grabs onto the rim of the case and withdraws it from its chamber.

The EXTRACTOR also acts as a folcrum when the rim strikes the EJECTOR screw. That leads me to the next thing you can check. If you have a weak EXTRACTOR spring or a worn EXTRACTOR, the case can slip from underneath it when the rim strikes the EJECTOR. It's best to replace the extractor, extractor spring, and Ejector all at once instead of doing it trial-and-error.

BamBam-31
November 24, 2004, 05:53 AM
Badger nailed it. Nothing to add except you can prolly find the parts at Numrich or Sarco. Good luck.

SMLE
November 24, 2004, 12:16 PM
You should also check with Springfield Sporters at www.ssporters.com

Be sure you order the parts for the #4 ONLY. The extractor and spring for the #1 SMLE will NOT fit the #4 bolt head. I haven't had to fix an ejector on any of my rifles, so I'm not certain if the #1 and #4 extractor screws are interchangable or not.

rbernie
November 24, 2004, 12:33 PM
I haven't had to fix an ejector on any of my rifles, so I'm not certain if the #1 and #4 extractor screws are interchangable or not.Judging by the info off the Numrich site, the No1 and No4 exjector screws are of differing lengths.

ScottsGT
November 24, 2004, 01:18 PM
For the life of me, I cannot remember which caliber all the different Enfields are. But it it is the .303, extractor screw on the side of the receiver is worn down. If it is the .308, it uses the lip of the magazine to eject the shell. I fought with this problem for weeks trying to tune my "Bubbaized" hunting rifle, which I "Bubbaized" myself. Took it to a gunshow to an enfield dealer to see if he could help me. He pulled out the screw, and bent the lip up on my magazine and tested it with an empty shell. Threw the shell about 4 feet away! Then put the screw back in for asthetics.

petrel800
November 24, 2004, 01:51 PM
That's a really nice re-finishing job. What did you use on the metal and the wood?

jame
November 24, 2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks, petrel800. I sandblasted all metal parts and applied flat black gunkote.

I also ordered a replacement stockset, stripped it, and applied a red military rifle stain from Brownells. That was followed by 10 coats, over 10 days, of hand rubbed tung oil. I used 000 steel woll to apply, and used just a small dab at a time. I would buff until dry, and let it set up for 24 hours, and repeat.

Also, thanks to everyone else! The claw is grabbing just fine, so I believe an ejector screw is in order. I'm hitting the Des Moines gunshow this weekend. There's always a big parts and surplus dealer there. I'll give him a shot first, the it's off the Numrich.

Mk VII
November 24, 2004, 09:42 PM
the extractor spring should be so strong that you can barely lift the claw. Anything weaker and it may not eject well. This is the part I am most commonly called upon to replace.
The Ejector Screw is a #3BA. Metric M4 will sort-of work if necessary.
No.4 & SMLE ejector screws are not interchangeable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Enfield Eject Problem. Help?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!