Help me pick on rifle options

PDA

bratch
November 24, 2004, 03:23 AM
*** I have another thread running about a Garand scout and this will relate to that***

I am wanting .308 MBR and a Scout rifle.

Currently I have a Cetme which I didn't do enough research on and do not like the fact that it doesn't lock back after the last round :banghead:

1. I have thought of ordering a rack grade Garand from CMP and converting it to a 308 and making it into a scout. This could field a middle ground between the Scout and MBR.

I see cost running around $800-1000 with no optics and could probably be a handy rifle.

2. I am looking at the Soutmans 308 Enfields at $600. They look like nice rifles and more traditional scout rifles.

I am also looking at possibly a Ohio Rapid Fire FAL or some sort of 308 AR.

3. I could also go with the M1A from SA.

Currently the MBR is higher on the wish list mainly because I have no clue when they might not be readily available. I see the Scout as an easier rifle to obtain.

However if I go the Garand route it will be pushed forward so I can get in on the CMP rifles.

Thanks guys. These decisions always hurt me :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick on rifle options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VG
November 24, 2004, 08:06 AM
A "Scout Garand is not a good idea. Short "Tanker" Garands are difficult to make function well.

If you have fully bought into the "Scout Rifle" idea, Gun Tests configured a Savage to be similar to the Cooper Marketing Concept - I mean Scout Rifle - and it did fine against the Steyr.

Why do you want such short rifles?

tc300mag1
November 24, 2004, 10:49 AM
If your going to do it why not just go with th Sa scout little pricey but everything is all ready done

cslinger
November 24, 2004, 10:54 AM
We have a squad scout M1A and it is a great little rifle. Handy lots of scope options, reliable, accurate or so I'm told by those folks who know how to shoot. :uhoh: :D

My vote is for the squad scout.

Chris

bratch
November 24, 2004, 04:06 PM
Honestly I have no good reason for wanting either :cool:
The scout seemed like it would be a handy rifle but thats about it.

BryanP
November 24, 2004, 04:39 PM
2. I am looking at the Soutmans 308 Enfields at $600. They look like nice rifles and more traditional scout rifles.

Info please? Do you have a link to these?

yesterdaysyouth
November 24, 2004, 04:50 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=26037105

what about this???

bratch
November 24, 2004, 11:38 PM
BryanP

http://www.scoutman308.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick on rifle options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!