My new CETME

PDA

davek
November 24, 2004, 11:20 AM
It finally came from Century! I was in store for a few shocks when I opened the box. First of all, it looks brand spanking new. I was expecting something with a little more character. Part of me was a little disappointed, but I've already gotten over it. :)

Secondly, it came with a bayonet, bayonet scabard, mag pouch, and sling...none of which was mentioned in the flyer that I ordered this rifle from.

http://www.fototime.com/{E60DB313-2CE7-4E8A-8583-47C6B52048FA}/picture.JPG

My lovely assistant...
http://www.fototime.com/{3A0FA3FE-0E3F-4D13-8477-7F8B94408DA3}/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/{6F15964A-8EB0-4269-8B38-5CCB614B28F7}/picture.JPG

The headspace is .005, so I'm going to have to put some new rollers on it, but there's no binding in the recoil spring tube, the sights don't seem to be canted, the two mags that came with it fit perfectly, and the bolt face doesn't seem to be ground. So far it's looking good, but I won't be able to break it down for cleaning till this weekend...so we'll see.

Here's another surprize. From lurking over at http://www.cetmerifles.com I'd come to expect that the reciever was lacking the little gizmos and doohickies that allow you to firmly mount optics, thus making said mounting a real pain in the butt...but look at this.

http://www.fototime.com/{667C94AD-2D27-4896-A7EF-147D504BA200}/picture.JPG

Are those not the thingies that do the job? Will I be able to mount optics without any problem? If so, why does this reciever have them when so many others (all as far as I knew) don't?

If you enjoyed reading about "My new CETME" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tc300mag1
November 24, 2004, 11:23 AM
Very nice Try the mags out for sure one of mine was doa brand new would only feed 1 round at a time then jam

davek
November 24, 2004, 11:28 AM
Oh the jury is definately still out. I haven't taken it apart to clean yet, much less shot it. One of the magazines is covered with rust and the follower is jammed up. I plan to take both of them apart and fix them up...as soon as I figure out how. :confused:

In the mean time, I've got six Aluminum G3 mags on order from cheaperthandirt.

itgoesboom
November 24, 2004, 01:41 PM
Looks good.

Looks like you got a cast version, so yeah, you should be able to mount optics easily.

The boltgap sounds a little low, its in spec, but expect the rifle to wear in a little, and that number will drop a bit.

Check the back of the bolt, not the face of it, to see if it is ground. That is where Century has been grinding. The other thing to check to see is what size the rollers are. Century has been putting "custom" oversized rollers in lately in some of the rifles, and that would be something you want to find out about, and replace.

Before you dissasemble the magazines, soak them in a good penetrating oil, or atleast spray some wd-40 to loosen the rust and make the floorplates easier to take off. I have ruined one floorplate complety, and was never able to get it off, and the other floorplate is looking a little beat as well.

The HK mags are much lighter, and easier to take apart, but they might require a little fitting.

If they don't quite fit, send me a PM, and I will show you a pic of how to adjust the mags to make them work. Its pretty easy.

I.G.B.

davek
November 24, 2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks IGB. I'll be tearing it down for the first time this weekend, so I'll yell if I need help.

Ktulu
November 24, 2004, 04:21 PM
That thing is tasty!

Dave R
November 24, 2004, 05:21 PM
Wow, you did well on that one!

Don't let the small bolt gap worry you. Your bolt is un-ground, so it'll be easy to get back into the middle/high end of spec with some larger (+4?) rollers. I hear they're EZ to install. I'll probably never get the chance, since mine came with .015 bolt gap. It won't wear that much in my lifetime.

Those pads ARE for positioning the scope mount. But the problem is the cast receivers are thicker than the original stamped receivers, so some scope mounts have to be filed a bit to compensate.

Let us know how it shoots!

itgoesboom
November 24, 2004, 05:38 PM
DaveR is right about the rollers being easy to replace.

www.robertrtg.com is a good place to get the spare parts for it, and they have a good guide on what is and isn't compatible from HK-CETME.

If you replace the rollers, make sure you get an extra retainer plate as well, since it is a fragile little piece, and could possibly break.

If you currently have normal rollers, and your bolt gap is .005, than putting in +4s will get you up to .009.

One other thing to check is the extractor and spring. It sounds like it shouldn't make a difference, but it can.

My extractor spring was broken when I got my CETME, and my boltgap was measuring about .008-.009, and went up to a solid .012 when I put in +4s, but when I replaced the broken extractor spring, all of a sudden my bolt gap shot up to .019 with +4 rollers. And it has stayed there after a few hundred rounds too.

I am slowly trying to replace most of the internal parts with HK parts, where possible.

I.G.B.

Z28
November 25, 2004, 01:48 PM
Sir, you have a S/S cast receiver. You will love that rifle! :)

Big John

ceetee
November 26, 2004, 12:46 AM
There are three or four different types of scope mounts that will fit your new CETME. They all have their pluses and minuses. Do a little more research on cetmerifles.com or the CETME board on gunboards.com, and you'll get a fairly clear picture on what's what.

Yes, some of them will need to be fitted to the rifle, because the cast receiver has a larger outside dimension than the factory original...

If you enjoyed reading about "My new CETME" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!