Marlin 1894 questions

PDA

mountaindrew
November 24, 2004, 11:07 AM
I am the happy owner of a new 1894cp 16.5 inch ported barrel. I have a few question.
First, when the bolt is closed, it sticks out from the back of the reciever just a hair above flush. Is this normal? Also, it can be pushed forward to almost flush. I am worried that it is not closing tight enough. This is the same empty or with a cartridge loaded.

Also, can anyone recomend a good website about smoothing up the action? I dont want to do any serious modifications, but I would like to slick it up a bit.
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1894 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
treeprof
November 24, 2004, 11:21 AM
There's some bolt play in some Marlins. I've shot plenty of rounds thru a coupla mine with non-flush bolts that have a bit of play w/out problem.

Here for tuning tips:

http://www.marauder13.homestead.com/Rifles.html

115grfmj
November 24, 2004, 03:54 PM
and every other one I've looked at. Doesnt seem to be a problem. The marlin
is the strongest of 1894's. :)

Brian Williams
November 24, 2004, 04:17 PM
Mine is flush on my 1894c, but you could try giving Marlin a call and see if they would do anything about it. The only thing that could be a problem would be if you could get a fingernail in front of the bolt and move it backwards any at all, then you might have a headspace problem.

Kamicosmos
November 24, 2004, 05:22 PM
Hmmm. Mine fits very flush. That was one of the things that drew me to the rifle. I couldn'd hardly see where the bolt was! But, mine is a 1894s of about 1996 vintage or so.

Wildalaska
November 24, 2004, 05:44 PM
Not to be a spoilsport but if the bolt isnt locking all the way forward the gun shouldnt be fired....

You will find the Marlin service is phenomenal and they have a 5 year warranty

WilddeckthehallsAlaska

treeprof
November 24, 2004, 10:55 PM
I didn't see the part of your post re play w/a cartridge loaded; mine doesn't do that. And when you say a "hair", how much is that?

mountaindrew
November 27, 2004, 06:00 PM
Just enought to notice or catch a fingernail on. maybe .015 in. The bolt is locking up properlt, just not completely flush with the rear of the reciever.

115grfmj
November 27, 2004, 08:54 PM
Mine falls into the .015 catagory, just barely enough that you can see it
and yes the bolt is locking up properly. I agree with the others any more
than that and you should send it back for work. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1894 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!