Duncan Long thumbs up or down ?

PDA

s&w 24
February 28, 2003, 02:58 PM
I read Duncan Longs book Combat revolvers and after he endorsed RG revolvers and stated that you don't want a shiny pistola for combat I put it back on the library shelf. To me it seemed like he just read a bunch of old G&A mags and started writing. Do you like him or not ? Why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Duncan Long thumbs up or down ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bad_dad_brad
February 28, 2003, 09:08 PM
He has his moments. I have his book on the Mini-14 and the AR-15. Good books. For instance, right off the bat he says the Mini is not all that accurate, combat accurate enough. He calls the Mini the worlds most expensive plinker. Good description. He generally praises the AR-15 and found that book to be very helpful in understanding my AR.

I do sort of agree that combat weapons should be dark and dull.

SquirrelNuts
February 28, 2003, 10:20 PM
I have his SKS book. It covers many things I do not see online, but then some of it is absolute garbage. He is 50/50 in my book. Some is great stuff, some is not so great stuff.

I agree that combat weapons should be plain looking, not shiny, and not attract attention. KA-BAR's are built the same way-great knives.

-SquirrelNuts

beckrodgers
February 28, 2003, 10:22 PM
Your impression seemms resonable to me. We noticed the simplistic type gen info as well. I praise the ability to get published & maybe make a few $ ,maybe start some brand new person off on the right direction in fire arms. Many books I keep just for 1 sentence or phrase. Just keep reading and learning. Thanks

JMLV
February 28, 2003, 11:16 PM
He has'nt done much with guns lately. I thibk he is attempting to get a sci fi writting career going. Even his web site rarely has any new content.

4v50 Gary
March 1, 2003, 06:59 PM
You can get more information here.

I've seen his books and I rate him as I would Edwin P. Hoyt as a historian. I made the mistake of buying of Hoyt's books. Never again.

Porter Rockwell
March 1, 2003, 08:01 PM
D. Long is the perfect example of what we see daily online.
He borrows others work and hearsay and claims expertise in a field he's actually got no experience with.

DrDremel
March 1, 2003, 08:40 PM
I find his books very basic sometimes not quite correct info. He writes like a kid that overheard his dad and his buddies talking about something and the kid runs back to his friends and repeats what he heard as if it was his own experience. Not quite all there with some exaggeration and a sprinkle of BS thrown in. I have actually read one of his books and was not impressed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Duncan Long thumbs up or down ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!